+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Year Olds And Music

8 Year Olds And Music

Hello out there!!! It has been awhile since I have logged on, but I have a little bit of a problem and I KNOW someone out there can help me out.

I have an 8 year old daughter and with out going into a lot of detail (although it would make for a great movie on Lifetime) she is very very sheltered. I want to know what kinds of things do little girls like to do. What music are they listening to? Stuff like that. I had to endure Dr. Suess the musical the last time that I saw her and let me tell you it was terrible. All she knows is Broadway show tunes.

Any ideas would be great!! Thanks friends!
    "People are strange, when you're a stranger" - Jim Morrison

I don't have any quick ideas right now, but I just wanted to say hi and let you know how pleased I am to see you again.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Well, I know my little sisters who aren't quite 8 love Britney Spears and the pop music scene. I don't know if that'll be easier for you to tolerate or not...
    I also figure they just like to play with their friends outside, on playgrounds and stuff. Sprinklers and Barbies, that's what my sisters like during the summer They also watched AI with me (and cheered on Clay! woo!) but I'm not quite sure what other kinds of shows they like... mostly cartoons, I think.
    Hope this helps!
    Matthew 6:27
    Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Thanks, Paulie. I got really addicted to the site and my work was slipping. But, I felt a need to ask you all for help on this one.

Brittany Spears, oh lordy, forget about it!! She lives in a G-rated household.

I know that little girls like Britney, but I'm not sure I'm happy about that. Not that I despise her, but her image is definitely too sexual for an 8-year-old to aspire to (imo).

Show tunes are great! All show tunes! Any show tunes! Hairspray is very cool right now, although I haven't listened to it at length yet and don't know if there's anything "pg" about it. Into the Woods, Lion King, etc are always good.

Little girls like anything sparkly! Nail polish, body glitter, clothes, hair bangles. The more glitter, the better!

Anne of Green Gables, Baby-sitter's Club (is that still around?), performance-based games. If she likes musicals, she probably likes dressing up, making up dances, singing on a microphone, performing plays, etc.

Broadway musicals ARE fine, but that is ALL that she knows. That is the problem she is not exposed to anything else. She has only seen animated movies too. Movie ideas would be good too. I am not kidding when I say sheltered and G rated.

At that age some little girls are into dance classes,sports,girl guides or brownies.
    When I was that age I listen to alot of oldies that my parents had around the house,hmm read alot of Baby Sitters Club books, had sleepovers

FORT Fogey
    Scrumpot, my daughter is almost 6 and she had friends in the neighborhood who are 8 & 9 they all play together. The big thing right now is Lizzie MCGuire, she has some music out and a couple of movies.
    The pre - teen shows on Disney etc.. Even Stephens, It's so Raven, and Lizzie McGuire show are what they watch.

The movies we have seen are The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Holes, What A Girl Wants, and Cody Banks all of which were very cute and very pre-teen but not too heavy. Total bubble gum. Not the Brittany Spears stuff. The "A" teens are a cute group they are sort of like Abba Teenagers and cute too.

Lots of dance stuff, groovy girls to play with, scooters to ride,
    the dancing thing is a major thing!
    You can find Groovy Girls at most botique childrens stores or the smaller toy stores.

I think that Lizzie McGuire is probably the most hip right now with the girls that age and she isn't slutty! She is cute and sings sweet.

FORT Fogey
    I would check the Disney channel for some stuff, they have great pre-teen stuff that isn't baby stuff but not too old either,, cd's of hit top 40 stuff done by kids too!lizzie McGuire web page

That might help,,
    Kim Possible ( cartoon) is another fun one!

Firegirl:
    Thanks for the help. I will check on Lizzie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast