+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Year Olds And Music

FORT Fogey
    Oh and the olsen twins.. they have really cute videos and lots of sweet but hip clothes and lip gloss etc..

I happened to see them last night on tv. I always thought they looked really creepy, but they have really changed. Do they have any music? I thought about the videos. That might be good.
    "People are strange, when you're a stranger" - Jim Morrison

I'm not understanding why living a sheltered life is such a bad thing for an 8 year old. I wouldn't be so quick to push so-called "popular culture" on her.

I don't know if you have a little bit or a lot of quality time to spend with her, but either way I'm pretty sure tv or videos isn't the best answer.

She might enjoy pinhole photography - you can set up a whole studio and develop your own paper for under 30 bucks (printing from paper, not negatives). Or you could make your own kites. Or learn sign language together so you can have a secret code, sort of. The best parents DO things with their kids, not just WATCH things.

Don't be so anxious to push your ideas of quality time on her, though. If she likes show tunes, go with it. I was never into musicals, but my daughter got into them at about age 10 - and now at 16 she's in a performing arts high school, and has had a play produced. Maybe she's not the one that needs exposure to new things - maybe you are.

My 8 year old is a horse freak. She likes a mix of show tunes (cats, joseph and the amazing techo color dream coat, sound of music), a little Brittney, Avirl Levine, A teens, Dreamstreet, Michelle Branch. she likes Kidz Bop (or Kidz rock) CD that are g rated remakes of current songs and Radio Disney. She loves Lizzie McGure, Amanda (forget her last name), she can't want for the next Rugrats movie. She likes Bratz dolls and Fashion Pollys (no Barbies at all) and she loves to create (food, sewing, drawing, clay, jewerly, tie dye)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by firegirl
    Oh and the olsen twins.. they have really cute videos and lots of sweet but hip clothes and lip gloss etc..
    Oh yeah, she loves the Olson twins, they do have some cute video tapes.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by SCRUMPOT
    Broadway musicals ARE fine, but that is ALL that she knows. That is the problem she is not exposed to anything else. She has only seen animated movies too. Movie ideas would be good too. I am not kidding when I say sheltered and G rated.
    Princess Diary, my girls love that one.
    Homeward Bound if she is a pet fan if she is a dog fan, Beethoven or Air Bud .
    Big Fat Liar is harmless, sort of a slapstick thing for preteens.
    The Parent Trap the disney remake from the late 90's is cute.
    Spy Kids (loved the first one)

I am back and I need some more input. I have got to find some do in the car stuff. Three hours in the car and I know that my daughter is bored silly. He dad can't seem to remember to pack her game boy. She can't read in the car. She will throw up. When I was little I remember having a "Car Bingo" card. Do they still have that? The Alphabet Game was "boring" by the time we got to L. Any ideas?

oh god you forgot the game boy? Buy one.

or.....my kids listen to tapes (is she a harry potter fan get the books on tape (are you driving cross country or just around???) They each have a bag with color pencils or markers, paper, little dolls (like those fashion pollys) I think some places carry car games (small versions of larger ones) or I have seen car bingo in like KMart but they may not carry it. My two are also huge Ispy fans.

But car rides do get dull, I have one who can read in the car and one who can't. We just tend to listen to the books on tape or tapes of what they like.

Howcome I didn't think of books on tape? She will like that alot, plus she will have exposure to new stuff.

We go back and forth halfway between KC and OKC. Fun time!

FORT Fogey
    My daughter does magna doodle, listens to music Lizzie Mcguire, we have a small tv that can go in the car too for movies, or there is always Dramamene! sleep! snacks, drinks, and there is car bingo, plus a whole slew of "minnie" games at walmart,
    minnie yatzee, tons of hand held versions of big games~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast