+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Taboo topics

Originally posted by Zhora
    I hate it when I'm having a nice conversation with a relative that's older than dirt and they casually throw in some racist, homophobic, or chauvinistic comment. There’s really no point in correcting them 10 seconds before they kick the bucket, so I have to bite my tongue REALLY HARD. If they do it again in the same conversation, I leave the room.
    I know what you mean. Any time a member of my family is inapproriate racial or homophobic remark I call them on it. That goes for other topics too.
    A few years ago my family was out to dinner for my birthday and my dad felt the urge to repeat a joke that he had heard that day. My dad is known for his jokes and usually they are funny, but sometimes they are a little off color. This particular on was not funny at all. It was a pedophile joke. After he finished with the joke and got a pity chuckle from my brother, I said,"Dad, I do not think that anything about an adult taking advantage of a child is funny in the least and if you are finished being vulgar, maybe we can all enjoy our meal". He appologized and has not told me a racey joke since. Not speaking up about subjects like these leads people to become comfortable with them and misleads them to believe that they are OK. That is my take on it.(Feifer steps down from the soapbox)

Princess
    Not speaking up about subjects like these leads people to become comfortable with them and misleads them to believe that they are OK
    Very well said Feif!

Thank you Modesty. It took me many years to become comfortable enough with myself to speak up about stuff like that. But now, I feel if I do not, then it is a betrayal of all that I am. just trying to be true to myself.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Princess
    But now, I feel if I do not, then it is a betrayal of all that I am. just trying to be true to myself.
    More words of wisdom!! Great!!
    However... sometimes it's wiser to just keep your mouth shut...as Zhora said above: "no point in correcting them 10 seconds before they kick the bucket"

Well, I just try to be as appropriate as I expect others to be. I have inherited "foot-in-mouth" disease from my dad and that makes it all the harder.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

labtech
    I think alot of us share the same relatives!!!

Wayner - nice pic by the way!

And we also use the phrase TMI. Some of us more than others.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567