+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taboo topics

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Friends, don't talk about computers around the dinner table. Please.
    I forgot to address this one - I agree with you, Paulie. My in-laws think that I'm God's gift to computers, video recorders, dish TV systems, etc. Look people, I write database queries and python scripts all day. The only reason I'm more of an expert than they are is because I'm not worried that if I press the wrong button I'm going to cause the machine to explode!

Another one that gets me - "Hey, you're tall. You must play basketball, huh?" Yes, I do. But if you're short I don't ask if you're a jockey. If you're fat I don't ask if you're a sumo wrestler. If you're out of shape and holding a beer, I don't ask if you're a bowler. Okay, this little rant probably should have gone in a different thread. Sorry. But I feel much better having gotten it off my chest.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Paulie! How did you miss this the first time around?

So to date we have:
    Not in any particular order
    1. politics and political issues (abortion, gun rights, death penalty, etc., illegal immigration, legalizing marijuana, war)
    2. religion
    3. kids (raising them, having them, not having them, having more, comments on how many or gender of...)
    4. marriage (when, status, how yours is etc...)
    5. Money (stock market)
    6. Health advice (smoking, etc...)
    7. Racist/Sexist/Homophobic comments and your opinions on such
    8. The environment
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Just wanted to weigh in on the biting your tongue at times comment.
    If I am talking to someone I consider a stranger I will bite my tongue, but if it's family or friends, I am [iusually[/i] pretty good at calling them on comments, and not making a big deal out of it.
    Usually I'll say something like "Hmmm, why do you feel the need to use that terminology when talking about someone?"
    I usually get a blank stare, but then the wording stops.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Here's one that annoyed the heck out of me. Whenever we went out to a restaurant, my father in law would demand to pick up the tab, swell guy that he was. When the check came out, he'd announce each person's name & the price of what they ordered. Then he would go on about how lucky we were that we didn't have to pay for a meal because of him. Maybe the wife & I should have splurged big time just to spite him, but we always felt inclined to order something cheap. I can't be the only person who's fallen victim to this kind of manipulation, can I?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I think Cali is right; topics are often only taboo if you're with the wrong people. I give you the following scenario:

My wife and I were playing Scattergories with another couple one night (if you don't know what that is, this story is lost on you). The letter was "K", and for the category of "Infamous People" my wife put down "Kennedys". The wife in the other couple got all bent out of shape - "How can you say THAT?!!! I mean, okay, Ted could be called infamous, but he's the only one!!!"

Thus began the moratorium on political discussions with that couple.

When the check came out, he'd announce each person's name & the price of what they ordered
    Damn that sucks...my FIL did that once, I have paid ever since just so I don't have to hear him gloat. Not sure if that was his plan, but it's worth it to shut him up.
    A rose soft, pliant and fragile when touched will quiver excitedly

I tried that Perc & he'd have nothing to do with us paying. He actually wrestled the check out of my hand one time. We just had to stop going out with them.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Next time you should just say..."wow, is that all? I guess next time I'll have to get the lobster!"
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

He actually wrestled the check out of my hand one time.
    Next time, break a bottle over his head.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Nice suggestions. I was doing all that & more in my head, but just had to sit back & take the abuse. Don't want to make waves & upset the family, you know. Thank God he ran off with that prostitute. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast