+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taboo topics

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Oh we usually end up discussing these things, it just usually pisses someone off (only at my family though...Mr. B's family is awesome)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Another bump since Thanksgiving in the US is just around the corner and families across the country will be sitting around the table in just a few short weeks.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Princess
    BF, good idea reviving this thread! Here's the last list for those who are to lazy to read the whole thread:

Not in any particular order
    1. politics and political issues (abortion, gun rights, death penalty, etc.)
    2. religion
    3. kids (raising them, having them, not having them, having more, comments on how many or gender of...)
    4. marriage (when, status, how yours is etc...)
    5. Money (stock market)
    6. Health advice (smoking, etc...)

Other topics mentioned:
    racist, sexist, homophobic comments
    environment
    legalizing of pot
    war

For me, when I'm with my parents alone, it's usually that they can't understand that I am grown up.... (i.e. leave me TF alone! you don't need to tell me what I "should" do, how I "should" dress, etc etc etc). When I'm with friends or in larger family groups, it's always one or more of the topics mentioned above that we all know should be avoided .

my side of the family
    Pretty much anything is open. My aunt is a nutty religous freak & it drives her bonkers. Sometimes I think we cross the line just to get a reaction out of her. Pretty funny in a twisted way.

my wife's side of the family
    My wife's parents are both Methodist preachers. They talk about anything & everything under the sun & love to hear themselves speak. They're really quite impressed with themselves. But then they got divorced last year because he met some druggie hooker online (I'm not making this up) & married her. That's the last we saw of him. Long story. So basically, talking about the ex-dad-in-law is now the only thing taboo over there.

Well, this isn't as much family as it is friends. Everyone who has religious beliefs is always saying,"Well, how can you not believe in God? Don't you think He created the world? You actually believe in evolution?!" I'm like,"Uh, yeah!" What's so hard for people to get?? Actually, I believe in a higher power, but not really God. I'm kind of agnostic.

Illegal immigration..... I don't bring it up with my stepsister, in fact... there is a lot I don't bring up with her... she wears REAL THICK rose colored glasses.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Folks have already mentioned most of the ones that come to my mind, but I'll throw my votes in for politics, religion, and racist/homophobic conversations.

I know I can't change my parents' views on some things, but if they ever make a racist/homophobic comment in front of my kids, that is where I'll draw the line.

I think politics and religious conversations can get way too heated in most cases. I have some very good friends that have completely different views from mine both politically and religiously; we've had some great discussions/debates over the years. But unless you really know the person well, I think those subjects are just too inflamatory.

And Modesty, I totally get the whole "my parents don't treat me like an adult" thing; mine were the same way until I got married and put my foot down. I should have put my foot down far sooner; we now have a much more respectful relationship.

Totally missed this topic the first time it came up. Weird.

And computers...that's usually a pretty safe topic at family events
    Yeah, but - geez! - could there be a more boring topic?!? I always get people coming up to me and asking about why their frickin' PC won't print, just because I have a BS in CS and work at a computer company. Drives me insane! I don't want to talk about computers. Everybody assumes that they're my favorite subject, but talking about computers bores me to tears. On top of that, I develop code for servers. I don't know what frickin' drivers your PC is missing! But when I tell people that, they stare at me in disbelief, like I'm stealing money from my company or something.

Friends, don't talk about computers around the dinner table. Please.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

no point in correcting them 10 seconds before they kick the bucket
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this will be the funniest thing I read today!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sleeping with George W
    Originally posted by Perc
    So by the messages above, is it safe to assume we CAN talk about fat, big boobed women who think they are all that and a bag of chips?

Just askin!
    Which brings us to the taboo topic of DIETING and people who insist on pointing out to you how many calories are in the food you just ordered at a restaurant. GAH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast