+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taboo topics

So by the messages above, is it safe to assume we CAN talk about fat, big boobed women who think they are all that and a bag of chips?

Just askin!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Perc!!!!!!!!!!!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I dont care if there is no ozone layer just so long as I have air conditioning.
    Oh, Ducky! You say the darnest things.
    Another topic is War! Although, we can pretty much discuss that like civilized people at first, but then voices start getting louder and arms, hands wailing around, eyes rolling, etc.
    I think it's healthy to discuss some of these topics, as long as they don't get out of hand.

I hate it when I'm having a nice conversation with a relative that's older than dirt and they casually throw in some racist, homophobic, or chauvinistic comment. Thereís really no point in correcting them 10 seconds before they kick the bucket, so I have to bite my tongue REALLY HARD. If they do it again in the same conversation, I leave the room.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Thereís really no point in correcting them 10 seconds before they kick the bucket, so I have to bite my tongue REALLY HARD.
    OMG, Zhora! This just struck me as soooo funny!
    I hate those kind of topics too, but I usually shut everyone up by telling them to their face that THEY (be it family or friends) are RACIST or HOMOPHOBIC.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I'm having a nice conversation with a relative that's older than dirt and they casually throw in some racist, homophobic, or chauvinistic comment.
    You just described my FIL to a T. Biting my tongue in half I just say well that comes from your generation who didn't know any better. Then I tell hubby hopefully my kids will be lots better.He takes after his father sometimes, and boy we have had some knock em down fights about that. But yeah I don't take the bait on holidays. Counting to ten(thousand) works.

Miss F - Listen to the doctors . Not the folks who say dried buttercup roots or something will cure you.

Well so far we have the weather as a topic for family get togethers.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    And computers...that's usually a pretty safe topic at family events (unless of course you get some debate going on Mac vs. PC! )
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

LG.
    Interesting about the racist, sexist, homophobic comments from relatives. Sometimes it's ok to bite your tongue, knowing this old coot is too old to learn anything, but sometimes (i.e. if my 2 year old daughter who repeats everything is standing right there) I just have to say something. I have relatives who still make anti-semetic remarks, and I can't figure out if they've forgetten Mr. LG's family is Jewish or if they do it because of that. They are either morons or assholes, so either way I won't let them teach my daughter anything I don't want her thinking is "ok" or "normal" as she needs to live in the 21st century.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG.
    Oh, I forgot to add topics that are usually safe in "mixed" company as long as you're ok with people disagreeing with you (which I usually am for these topics): tv shows and sports. You can talk for hours and hours about sports and tv shows (as we all know).
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

agentcarver
    I mostly disagree...

We have 3 families converging at the dinner table, and we discuss ANYTHING that comes up... Sex, drugs, politics, Britnet Spears, whatever... We had 14 people at our table for thanksgiving yesterday (I had 3, Sar had 5, Marc had his current main squeeze (Jason) and Lara, his sister) so we have an expert on EVERYTHING. Execpt Furbies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast