+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Taboo topics

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Cali!

Sometimes you really have to wonder about people, huh?

I have one or two family members that never learned that golden rule about "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything...."
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

So let me recap what we have so far. Maybe we can print out a top 10-20 list and post them in our homes!

Not in any particular order
    1. politics and political issues (abortion, gun rights, death penalty, etc.)
    2. religion
    3. kids (raising them, having them, not having them, having more)
    4. marriage (when, status, how yours is etc...)
    5. Money (stock market)
    6. Health advice
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

hmmmm, Bravo has completely overlooked Ducky's smoking issue...
    I have to say I'm with Ducky on this one, as I smoke. Yes, I know it is bad for me, yes I know it is nasty, yes I know I should quit, you don't have to tell me everytime you see me. My kids telling me every day is fine though, as it reaffirms to me that they think it is gross (Thank God).
    My FIL tells me everytime I see him and now that I have significantly cut back, he tells me MORE. I honestly love that man, and seeing that he himself quit 30 years ago I do tolerate his "Loving nagging" more than I would others, but.........
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Just to add on the children issue, I get very annoyed when people "sympathise" with me for having three boys.
    I love my boys and I am not remotely disappointed that I don't have a girl.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Ooh, sorry Cali and Ducky! I was thinking that smoking could fall into Health advice Revised below:

Hey, maybe when we get this perfected we could write a book on etiquette. Words of advice for your real life from Internet gurus

Not in any particular order
    1. politics and political issues (abortion, gun rights, death penalty, etc.)
    2. religion
    3. kids (raising them, having them, not having them, having more, comments on how many or gender of...)
    4. marriage (when, status, how yours is etc...)
    5. Money (stock market)
    6. Health advice (smoking, etc...)

abortion and any kind of religion
    ~There is no greater gift than the gift of life. Become a donor today!~

well, believe it or not, in my family we had to make "the legalizing of pot" a taboo topic. i come from a family of lawyers, but there's one brother that went the other way... he's a baptist preacher! my dad, a lawyer, LOVES to get my brother going about legalizing weed. cracks me up but infuriates my brother.

With my side of the family we can pretty much discuss religion, politics, abortion etc, because we pretty much agree, and the points we don't agree on are minor and easy to see from both sides....
    My husbands family............ well, I have fun talking about this stuff sometimes, but boy oh boy, do we see things from different view points!
    They still LOVE me though, so it's all good
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

For us, if we talk family problems.

Inevitably, two people will end up fighting and the rest of the family sits there uncomfortablly.

And that health thing! We went through that this weekend. I've been having minor health problems and was told this weekend that I shouldn't be listening to the doctors that want to give me pulminary tests... I should take this health food crap that will cure everything for me. But the problem is, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG. Geez...
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Drugs, feh.

Now, don't start talking about the environment with Dylan's earthy brother. I said something like, I dont care if there is no ozone layer just so long as I have air conditioning or something like that and you'd think I just suggested killing all the babies in Canada or something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast