+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 120 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: My art

Fade to black
    Does Kraft Mac and Cheese count?

(yes, I do)
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

That would be better than the homemade pot of mac & cheese I made with the wrong cheese. It tasted good, but was very stringy. I think I'm still swallowing it from 3 years ago!

Fade to black
    you should take a picture of that. That'd definitely be art.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I need to get out more bloonman's Avatar
    Hello everybody!

I just want to thank everyone for the kind words about my balloon art, poetry, and flower photos. I really appreciate the support and acknowledgement.

I'd also like to thank everyone for all the music, poetry, prose, doodling, photographic work, etc. that has been posted for us all to enjoy. It takes courage to share your special gifts this way, and hazy will be the first to tell you how vulnerable it makes you feel. I applaud you all!

In my next post I will share a few excerpts from a book I've written called Journeys to the Edge of Wonder. It falls loosely under the category of 'spiritual fiction' or 'metaphysical fantasy'--there's really no good genre name for what I write!. I hope you like it.

"I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Here are some short excerpts from Journeys to the Edge of Wonder subtitled 'A Novel of Spiritual Adventure'. It should be enough of a sample to let you see the general tone and style of the book. I'd enjoy hearing your comments on it, either privately or on the list (that is, if they're nice comments!).

I'm sure the book has many flaws, but I'm not really looking for critiques here. I'm just interested in sharing something special and personal with you guys, not participating in a 'writing class'.

If you like what you see and would like to read more, just send me a pm with your 'regular' e-mail address and I'll send a chunk of the book itself as an attachment. If not, pretend this post was just a bad dream.

Sorry, it's not available on a website.

Journeys to the Edge of Wonder (excerpts)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    January 22
    Sunset pales the sky in deepening shades of lavender, red, blue. The first stars wink into view. The crystal silence is broken by the shrill call of a night bird, then effortlessly reassembled. The moon is a gourd of light. Twilight.

The sun has fallen below the horizon, like a hammer beating down the earth—pulling a veil of darkness behind it. Shapes and shadows dance in the subtle breeze. Tall trees stand like silent sentries in the night. I am alone.

It's happening again. I can feel it. A shiver is going up my spine—a tingling sensation running throughout my body. And a ‘whoosh’ sound, like night winds rushing through a just-opened door, is rising in my head. Louder. Louder. I am afraid.

The fourth time in as many nights. Each attack has been stronger than the one before. Dear God, what's happening to me? The sound in my head is growing louder and stronger, like a freight train coming closer and closer. I can't stop it. I can't stop it! Dear God, I'm going to die! The pain! Aaaaaggggghhhhh! (page 4)
    The secrets of creativity, psychic phenomena, and spirituality were all locked up in this marvelous symbiosis of energy that was unfolding before me. But like a mysterious veiled dancer, the deeper answer flitted sensually around my consciousness—teased and excited my understanding—then slipped fully veiled away. (page76)
    Christ was born in the heart of winter, with heavy snows and icy winds…a time when hopes and dreams seemed frozen and forgotten in the hearts of men. A light was born that chill winter’s morning—a bright beacon of hope blazing amid the dark shadows of fear and guilt and despair. A light not all the darkness in the world could overcome. (page 99)
    Her eyes shone like twin silver moons lit with radiance from some unseen sun. She took my hand and led me to a place where a large patch of spongy vegetation grew. It had the look of thousands of tiny silver crystals, and shimmered like the stars. But it was as soft to the touch as velvet. The stars, those tiny worlds that were but infinitely small atomic particles in my world, shone through the silvery phosphorescent air like bits of golden fairy dust. They gleamed and sparkled off Radia’s fine golden skin…danced in her beautiful eyes. (page 127)
    At this point words, like slobbering, impaired children resisting all attempts to follow instructions, tend to frustrate my ability to communicate. There should be something greater than words for what I want to share with you! Something beyond those symbols, those mere representations that are little more than wall decorations. I want so badly to give you a sense, even if only a bare, partial sense—of the absolute, sublime beauties I knew in that lightning moment following the matching of those tremendous, ecstatic energies. (page 133)
    I was the light. I was all of the light. I was everything that was, or ever had been, or ever would be. I was all people, all places, all thoughts. I was the tiny flower freshly risen from the seed; I was the red giant star a thousand times larger than the sun. I was the child crying in its cradle; I was the comet streaking through the darkness of the void. I was the grain of sand and the exploding star. I was the prodigal son returned home to the loving embrace of the Father. (page 171)
    Gray clouds plying their way across a sky of cerulean blue. Birds singing plaintively from the branches of distant trees. The sun sinking, without a fuss, into the embrace of the darkening sea. Shades of peach and violet and lavender exploding on the horizon, then giving way to deep gray, going down to dark. Shapes and sounds of the night leaping into awareness. An icy wind whistling by. Nightfall. (page 178)
    The earth was a mass of seething rock and gases, bilious vapors and scalding seas. And unshaped mass of flowing, formless chaos. And then it was gone. Nothing remained but a fiery swirl of gases extending in all directions and merging with other cloud masses to form one vast network of blazing vapor that extended for billions of miles. An immense cloud punctuated only by a smudge of bright light at its center—a blotch I knew was the hot young star that would eventually become our sun. Then even that was gone. And I was alone…alone in a darkness older than time. (page 226)

:pond
    "I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Vote for Chantel Kohl! Chickenbutt's Avatar
    I love art... I am an artist. i love to paint, draw, write....
    Chickenbutt ~:>
    Vote for Chantel Kohl!

click the bunny

Fade to black
    Originally posted by bloonman
    It takes courage to share your special gifts this way, and hazy will be the first to tell you how vulnerable it makes you feel.

I'd enjoy hearing your comments on it, either privately or on the list (that is, if they're nice comments!).

If not, pretend this post was just a bad dream.

Sorry, it's not available on a website.
    Yes, it does make you vulnerable. Props to you for posting something of your own bloon.

Unfortunately, you said you only wanted nice comments. You take all my fun away, don't you!!!

Oh, that's it, it was a dream!

And hey, I resemble that website remark.

Interesting stuff - your mind wanders. I like that.

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    Yes, it does make you vulnerable. Props to you for posting something of your own bloon.

Unfortunately, you said you only wanted nice comments. You take all my fun away, don't you!!!

Oh, that's it, it was a dream!

And hey, I resemble that website remark.

Interesting stuff - your mind wanders. I like that.

Gosh, hazy--I don't know if I can stand all this praise!

By the way, how about some Kraft Mac and Cheese?

:chef <==hazy

Originally posted by Chickenbutt
    I love art... I am an artist. i love to paint, draw, write....
    Thanks for the link, Chickenbutt! (hard to say that with a straight face!) Nice drawings!
    I particularly like the division of space in the wine and beer bottle drawing. It looks almost woven in places. It would be interesting to that or a similar piece done with some color, or maybe some contrasting medium in some areas, like layers of ink wash.
    Keep it coming!

+ Reply to Thread