+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 120 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: My art

I need to get out more bloonman's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mantenna
    Goodness....

Hmm...I'm not quite a poet (in my opinion), but I'll try to get my band together and record something for you guys to hear.
    Cool, Mantenna! I'm sure I speak for a lot of people in saying that I'm looking forward to that.

"I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Originally posted by bloonman
    Firegirl,
    Most of the people in the pictures I've posted are coworkers at my job at the University of Texas (hazy, we had lots better rivalries with Arkansas than Auburn!) Hook 'em Horns!
    You went to UT, bloonman? Uh oh...SMU grad here...

One of my favorite bumper stickers while I was there: "SMU...THE university of Texas!"

I need to get out more bloonman's Avatar
    Originally posted by skywisej
    Bloonman... I was just wondering if you ever read my post in the other thread. I complimented you on your wonderful balloons and then I asked if you have every made a bunny?
    Hi skywisej!
    Doh! I told you I didnt have a scanned bunny, but there's one right in my av! I've attached a larger version of it so you can see this particular rabbit. A very good balloon artist named Royal Sorrel designed it originally and I recreated it. Enjoy!

P.S. There's also a 'Little Mermaid' in the picture. Shayla--didn't you used to be a mermaid?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Fade to black
    Originally posted by Paulie
    When I'm writing, it's like I've opened a connection to some part of me I can't get to any other way... but in order to not be destroyed by criticism, you have to feel comfortable and confident that what you wrote is worth reading. You're not going to please everyone all of the time so you'd better make sure you at least please yourself.
    I don't disagree with you on that Paulie. It's definitely putting yourself out there, and if you can't even enjoy your own writing then you shouldn't bother. I guess what I was trying to say, was that while when I first write it is for me, it's not until I let other's into that world, or image, or feeling I put down on paper that I really feel like I accomplished anything. Although, letting other's read what you write can be hard sometimes (I think the workshops I went through in grad school were some of the hardest things I've ever had to do), as a writer I don't think I learn unless I hear what people truly think. I'd rather someone tell me they hate something and give me valid reasons why, then to be falsely praised.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Lobeck~ my favorite t-shirt I saw about SMU back in like 1987 was

SMU-
    Ponies
    Polo
    Probation..

lol..hahaha

smu didn't deserve the death penalty back then... they deserved the same slap on the wrist that a&m got. anyyyyyyyway. my fave ut shirt from the swc days is against the sooners and was for texas/ou weekend. said "we can beat them on the field. they can beat us off." i won't describe the pictures.

re: my talent. i write poetry, too... but the poem i like best isn't suitable for this pg 13 site. just ask bill.

Fade to black
    Those are the best kind of poems Sher. I have some of em' too. I wanna read it - pm it.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Thanks bloonman! I don't know why I never noticed the bunny! I guess I was looking at you too much!
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    I'd rather someone tell me they hate something and give me valid reasons why, then to be falsely praised.
    That's a good perspective to have, especially in the writing world where so many folks think highly of their efforts. The publishing world is obviously very competitive. Being able to accept criticism and work on your writing while maintaining your voice is a tricky skill.

That being said, I'd caution you personally against the use of the "creeping cliche" in your writing. We all slip into using turns of phrase that we've heard around or are comfortable hearing. If they appear too often in writing, however, they make the prose come across as derivative or lazy.

Just a suggestion. Do what you want with it.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Fade to black
    It's a good suggestion. Rather than turn this into a writing workshop, I'll pm you with a question or two.

+ Reply to Thread