+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: My art

I need to get out more bloonman's Avatar
    Hi, everybody!

These are the last of the balloons I was going to post to the WDYLL? thread before John asked me to put them on a more appropriate thread.

This one's for glennajo, for her nice words:
    (I made this at a baby shower for a woman who really liked teddy bears. Note the tiny baby inside the one teddy's belly!).

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

I need to get out more bloonman's Avatar

And here's one for Wyndemere in appreciation for her kind words as well:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy." ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Fade to black
    I went ahead and enabled my little writing site. It's still rough but contains most of my poetry, short stories and portions of my novels. Some of it is not so good, but I was "finding my voice" so to speak - and a lot of what is posted is unedited, so bear that in mind when you read.

Anyway, the link is in my sig. I would recommend "Play Again" in the short stories section and the novel I am working on "Letters to Myself" in the novels section - and I would LOVE any feedback on the novel as it's still a work in progress. For bitter, dark, twisted stuff read "Where Have All The Days Gone" in the short stories section, "Untitled" in the novels section and "Clockwork" in the poetry section. I have some experimental pieces that are definitely out there that I will be posting in the upcoming future.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Originally posted by bloonman

Here's the one I was going to post for the mods as a group, as a thank you for all the work they do:
    That's very nice, bloonman! Thanks.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Hazy, your Hide and Seek story was very emotional and personal. I can't even imagine not being able to see my kids every day, but your piece helped me to empathize. Thanks for sharing.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

FORT Fogey
    aww Eldee don't disconnect it,, just eat it in the morning and then fill up on meat and vegetables and maybe ONE bread for dinner..
    For lunch have a combo like salad w/lots of meat and crackers or bread, or a sandwich, or a pb&j
    Then after lunch only go high protein cutting as much carbs as possible. Try not to do pasta in the evening.

Also, if you can cut out as much sugar as possible then it is good too. I let myself have a Dr. Pepper after I have had lots of water each day. One Dr pepper with Pizza for lunch is good for me then I do water the rest of the day. I switched to splenda too because I am such a sugar addict and I can't tell the difference! I get a cup of coffee in the morning and a Dr. Pepper w/lunch.

But, on the weekends I eat what I want when I want in limited portions. lol
    I use the 'sigh' rule for when I am full. You know how when your eating and you sort of have that point where you take a deep breath and sigh ? That is your full point. Start noticing you do it most every meal. If you wait a few minutes and sip on your drink, push your plate away you will see that you feel full.
    Or you can do the 1/2 method,, divide your restaurant portion in half and only eat that much. Drink lots of water with your meal and you feel really full. Lots of people confuse thirst w/hunger. Bread is so satisfying that is why we call it comfort food.. well carbs anyway. Mashed potatoes oh man do I love those!

Obviously, I agree that writing is an art. Apart from my articles for the FORT, I have written several short stories over the years, I was a humor columnist for the Stanford Daily when I was in college, and I envision writing a novel someday. I haven't made any progress on the novel front except for some hopelessly vague ideas in my head. I need to figure out a way to carve some time out of my day to actually do my writing. Somehow, I always find time during the Survivor season to generate 6 pages a week. I just need to set myself a similar personal deadline for my novel.

I think writers write because they have to, and they crave the knowledge that others are reading their efforts. The fact that the power of words can change a person's mood or make them think differently or (in some cases) even change their life always amazes me. I may post some of my better short stories here, even though I think they're all broken in some way or another. I have to decide first if I think I'll be going back to fix them or not. If I think that I will, I won't post them here. I don't like to share unfinished work.

Anyway....that's my ramble on writing as an art. Hope you didn't fall asleep.

Fade to black
    Paulie I couldn't have said it better. I'd love to read your short stories (I love reading period almost as much as I do writing). I can relate on the novel front... I'm currently working on my 4th attempt (and thus far I think I'll actually finish this one) and have many more ideas floating around in my head. I don't like to share unfinished work either but I'm interested to see what people think of the preliminary portion of my novel.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Hazy, you never cease to amaze me. You grow on me more each day. Thank you for sharing such intimate writing with us. You really can write. I can not wait to see the day we can buy a copy of your novel on FORT.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Each mother's day I write a poem for my mom. It is the only gift she wants for any occasion. I think I started this tradition when I was about 15. I have improved since then thankfully. This is my offering this year.

Woman
    Strong woman
    Mother is your name.
    A name born of sacrifice
    Earned with pain transformed to joy
    Efforts often misread, eventually comprehended
    The respect of your children weaved from endless toil
    They're no longer helpless, crying to be nourished
    Their eternal comfort that is mother
    You are with every step
    Each decision made
    Work complete
    Woman
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread