+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: OK, I admit it... I HATE

Senrik:

Why waste both our time and yours by playing games? At least we're being paid to continue whatever charade you have in mind for us - who's paying you? Pretty counter-productive, I say.

Never respond with "lack of interest". Good telemarketers have a million and one ways to respond to that, all with "converting" you in mind. (However, I guess what you could do is to keep repeating "lack of interest" in a monotonous voice...we'll get the idea )

Hang up if you must. Usually - though not always (some telemarketers are *extremely* persistent, especially the desperate ones) - a simple "No, thanks", immediately followed by hanging up the phone will suffice. Don't put off your refusal until we've gone through our whole 5-minute spiel - your silence will be misconstrued as implicit consent/interest.

I don't consider myself as one of the more agressive telemarketers out there. IMO, the more agressive you are, the more put off the respondents are going to be, and the less likely you'll obtain a closer. As well, a lot of these agressive telemarketers make bad judgement calls - efficiency (i.e. high sales rate) is often sacrificed for a non-existent sliver of hope that ends up being an exercise in futility.

I use other methods, mostly involving my voice and telephone manner. For example, I'll talk to a 20 year-old male differently than I would to a middle-aged housewife, and even more differently than to a personal business owner.

Nausicaa... I admire you for not giving up.

I used to be a telemarketer. I lasted about 2 days. Then I went back to waitressing. It's hard and anyone that stays with it gets my respect. I can understand why they get frustrated. I felt like a piece of crap and I knew I couldn't do it anymore.

I've had my own share of bad experiences and I will refuse and hang up or just hang up. It's a whole industry that I despise and find completely unneccessary. Even the surveys are ridiculous anymore. I don't mind a 2 minute survey but I had one the other day for beverages that lasted 20 minutes. There were 150 questions in all and I got upset with the surveyor because he didn't tell me ahead of time how long it would be. 'A quick moment of my time' is not 20 minutes, sorry.

Thanks, Miss Filiangi. I've been doing telemarketing/survey interviewing for a year and a bit now, and it's tough, though I don't ask for anyone's sympathy. You'll not believe how many liberal arts students you find in a typical call centre - pretty sad, really...there's a dearth of decent jobs for arts undergrads out there.

Survey-interviewers usually shave 5 minutes off of the established/tested time for each questionnaire. Pretty devious, I know.
    The best way to deal with the situation is to ask directly how long the survey will take. We'll be forced to respond to you (we won't otherwise!), and good interviewers will give you an approximate time that's not too far off from from the real one.

Pinkieparrot: I don't recommend not speaking into the phone. Most telemarketers will log that as a "no response", and your # will be sent back into the call pool again, for the next day, the next week...etc.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I'll jump in with the hatred of the people that call you on the phone to sell you somethink or get ou to donate money. In Colorado, we have a "No call" list that is supposed to keep such annoying calls to a minimum. But some still get through.

The other day I got a call from the "Save the Children Foundation." I told the lady on the phone that we were on the the No Call list, and she with a bit of aggetation in her voice told me "We're exempt from that." I said "Oh, well I'm busy saving my own children, so I'm afraid I can't help you."

I don't like being rude to the people, but I've found that if I'm nice at all that they will continue to badger me with various rephrasings of their questions. It's SO annoying!
    Yeah, it's that way here, too. Charities can get through. But at least most of them can't get through, right?

I hate the Effers that took those planes and planted them into the buildings... and I hope they rot in hell....

(I can say that, right?)
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Senrik:

Why waste both our time and yours by playing games? At least we're being paid to continue whatever charade you have in mind for us - who's paying you? Pretty counter-productive, I say.

Never respond with "lack of interest". Good telemarketers have a million and one ways to respond to that, all with "converting" you in mind. (However, I guess what you could do is to keep repeating "lack of interest" in a monotonous voice...we'll get the idea )

Hang up if you must. Usually - though not always (some telemarketers are *extremely* persistent, especially the desperate ones) - a simple "No, thanks", immediately followed by hanging up the phone will suffice. Don't put off your refusal until we've gone through our whole 5-minute spiel - your silence will be misconstrued as implicit consent/interest.

I don't consider myself as one of the more agressive telemarketers out there. IMO, the more agressive you are, the more put off the respondents are going to be, and the less likely you'll obtain a closer. As well, a lot of these agressive telemarketers make bad judgement calls - efficiency (i.e. high sales rate) is often sacrificed for a non-existent sliver of hope that ends up being an exercise in futility.

I use other methods, mostly involving my voice and telephone manner. For example, I'll talk to a 20 year-old male differently than I would to a middle-aged housewife, and even more differently than to a personal business owner.
    I apologise nausicaa
    I should explain that I do that after they don't take 'no' for an answer. I realise that people are just earning a living, but at the same time, after announcing 'I'm not interested' to someone and having them continue their spiel, it makes me want to lash out, particularly with the telemarketing laws being so strict im my state.
    I'm sorry for the confusion.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I hate Biology honors. I hate having a quiz in Bio honors every day. I swear, that class spawns from the depths of helllllll

FORT Fogey
    Bio honors? Never heard of an honors class for Bio! Bored, you have my sympathy!

+ Reply to Thread