+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: OK, I admit it... I HATE

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar

Well said, Greenie!

First of all, I should state that I started off working as a survey interviewer first, then moved on to telemarketing, because the pay is better. Generally, survey interviewers tend to have much better phone manners than telemarketers, so - speaking from personal experience - I can honestly say I conducted myself more professionally than many of the first-time telemarketers out there.

The long pause is caused by the auto-dialer. Sometimes, we'd manually dial the numbers, though, and it would be harder to tell.

It's actually better if you refuse and hang up somewhere between the interval when you first hear the pause and when they've already gone through their long spiel. If you hang up right after the pause, telemarketers won't know how to log the call (it's not "strictly" a refusal, becuase conversation hasn't taken place, and it's not exactly a "not home". Telemarketers and interviewers are often monitered quite stringently by their superiors, and to avoid a mistake some telemarketers would actually call the person again, just for official confirmation. Now, wouldn't that be annoying? )

However, contrary to popular belief, telemarketers don't actually like it when you wait until they've sold their spiel to refuse. Think about it - we've already gone through so much verbal effort - how much of a letdown is it to inform us of your disinterest that late into the game?

IMHO, it's better to interrupt and reject at the beginning of the spiel, just after they've introduced themselves and their company.

That's a really good explanation, nausicaa. Luckily, the Massachusetts "No Call List" has really limited the number of telemarketer calls I've received.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I hang up on telemarketers, although now that I'm on the no-call list, I rarely get called anymore. I tried the polite route, but they always have a comeback that prolongs the agony of the call. Then I tried interrupting them in order to decline whatever they're trying to sell me, and they just kept on talking louder and faster. Then I'd ask them to hold on for a second, put the phone down and walk away (because I wanted revenge for them interrupting me). Now I simply hang up. It's amazingly efficient and effective. And I don't care if they don't know what little box they need to check in their "customer response" box for their supervisor's edification. I find the whole concept behind telemarketing invasive and rude, and I resent them "coming into my home" uninvited. So ... now I simply just hang up.

Yep, I hang up on them too. And I was also a former telemarketer. It was in high school, though, not college. And I got hung up on. And I didn't care, because I didn't blame them for doing it. It was the worst job I've ever had, and I was never able to last more than a few days at any given place. I agree with Greenie's "I'm sorry if that doesn't make the other person feel good on the other end, but that's the job he/she chose." SO MUCH. When I started getting 5 calls a night from MCI, I snapped. I asked to be taken off the list multiple times - but it never happened. I told them that I wouldn't use their service if it were the last available means of communication outside of smoke signals - they kept calling. I just posted in the breakup thread that nobody deserves better treatment than they give you, and that applies here too. I didn't ask for their calls, and if they can't be courteous enough to honor my requests not to be called, then they don't deserve my courtesy in return. I completely understand that it isn't the fault of the individual caller that their company won't respect the consumer, but that just simply isn't my problem.

If telemarketing firms were so sure that the people they call were interested in hearing about the "super deals!!!!!" they were offering, why do they so vehemently oppose an opt-in policy, as opposed to the opt-out one now in place?

Um...mimi, my whole point about directly hanging up is for the benefit of the respondent, not the telemarketer. There are occasions when a simple "hanging up" would result in more intrusive calls.

And I wouldn't suggest all those cute ploys for revenge. We've encountered them all (some more creative than others), and there are some telemarketers out there who, if bothered enough by them, will actually put the respondent on the "callback" list, for the next day, the day after the next...just to have the respondent squirm and seethe.

It's bad, I know, and I don't condone it. But, people who preach to me the ethics of telemarketing, I pretty much ignore. There are better jobs out there, and there are much worse (Burger King, anyone?) The profession should not reflect personally on an individual's moral code, since it's pretty much implied that no one really treats telemarketing as a "career" - merely a means to a better end.

Sure, I hate telemarketing too.

But more than that, right now at least, I hate having a cold when it's 109 degrees outside. And even worse than that, is three sick kids all home from school....whining....

Somebody shoot me now.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Um...mimi, my whole point about directly hanging up is for the benefit of the respondent, not the telemarketer. There are occasions when a simple "hanging up" would result in more intrusive calls.

And I wouldn't suggest all those cute ploys for revenge. We've encountered them all (some more creative than others), and there are some telemarketers out there who, if bothered enough by them, will actually put the respondent on the "callback" list, for the next day, the day after the next...just to have the respondent squirm and seethe.

It's bad, I know, and I don't condone it. But, people who preach to me the ethics of telemarketing, I pretty much ignore. There are better jobs out there, and there are much worse (Burger King, anyone?) The profession should not reflect personally on an individual's moral code, since it's pretty much implied that no one really treats telemarketing as a "career" - merely a means to a better end.
    I'm not trying to preach here, but I just find hanging up is the best, most efficient, least painful, quickest way to remove the interruption from my life. Anyone who has been awakened by a telemarketing call, called away from a good television program, had their dinner disrupted, run into the house in order to catch the ringing phone thinking it's an important call, or had their babies awakened from a telemarketing call probably finds telemarketers annoying. I guess the question is ... does ANYBODY really welcome calls from telemarketers?

And I actually would rather work at Burger King than be a telemarketer.

I had one telemarketer.. .trying to sell me long sistance service. would not take no for an answer... asked me 'what is stopping you from taking advantage of this great offer', I had to answer 'my lack of interest'

I love playing with telemarketers..... hey, if they are gonna make my life miserable, then they deserve what the abuse we give them.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Fogey
    Not only do I hate telemarketers, I hate those recordings they put on... how CHEAP is that???

What I do with telemarketers is I say Hello, wait for them to pause, make them say Hello??? Hellooooo? Is there anyone there?? and I just keep quiet until they hang up. They just bug the crap out of me especially when they think that I am my mom and start talking to me about morgages and that junk.

+ Reply to Thread