+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Embarrasing!!!- Am old..I thought Snapchat was Instagram..and it's not!!

Re: Embarrasing!!!- Am old..I thought Snapchat was Instagram..and it's not!!

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Nope. My standard remotes ceased to work when I set up the app. There is a small chance I can get everything working again but I'm skeptical about it and it's gong to take multiple people to do it. I literally have to go into the house, use the house button to open and close the door if the internet is down. I don't use outside keypads. In my shiftier days I found I had great success accessing garages with those so the button to open the garage is in the house. Starting the car backing out, shutting off the car running inside to close the door and then back out to start teh car again is so obnoxious I can't even.

I'd rather just use the standard opener and have the app for times I don't remember if the door is down like when I'm at work. But nope I have to dork around and open the app, hope it loads, hope my internet is working and then I can touch it to open the door. Same with closing when I leave. I have to back out, open the app and go through all that.
    Ok, I am confused, those outside key pads are the best.

I also have one inside the garage door as I enter the house I just hit that button to close the door.

But often, hubby and I go for walks in our nieghborhood and leave all keys in the house and go out through the garage and close the garage with the key pad.

NO need for any housekeys.
    Brooks likes this.
    KAREN

I was thrilled to get an outside keypad with my new garage door. The previous fall I had locked myself out of the house through sort of a bizarre set of circumstances, and was fortunate enough to be able to slice my way through the deck door screen to get back in. The outdoor keypad means short of a power failure I am never locked out. And I shouldn't have to replace the deck door screen again for a long time.
    momrek06 likes this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We don't have a garage or a fancy thermostat, but I love my smart phone. We were at the doctor's office today, and they asked if we knew the phone number of our preferred pharmacy. I just popped one button and said, "Okay Google, what is the phone number of the CVS pharmacy at Dobson and Germann?"

Up popped the phone number in about 3 seconds.

Plus, I've fallen in love with Sam's "Scan and Go." We scan each item as we put it into our cart, and just show the phone to the person at the door. We don't even have to go through a register!!!! (Unless we're buying adult beverages. Now we buy all of those at one time and go through the register to pay for them. We look like real boozers.)
    Punkin, momrek06 and Cornholio like this.
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We don't even have to go through a register!!!! (Unless we're buying adult beverages. Now we buy all of those at one time and go through the register to pay for them. We look like real boozers.)
    It happens that the supermarket near where I currently live is Savemart. (Never heard of it before, Safeway is one town away in either direction and I don't know how to get there.) I wanted at one shopping trip, to get a bottle of Souza Tequila. I noticed it was marked down from the regular price of $27.99 to $16.99!!! And for the whole month of May!! Aaaaand, if you buy 4 of any alcohol, you get an additional 10% off! This was an effective savings of 45%!!!!! I won't tell you how many I have gathered at this phenomenal savings (a lot). I did the same thing earlier this year when Ocean Spray Grapefruit Juice (which I use to mix with the Tequila) went on sale at Safeway from $4.49 a bottle to 2 for $4.00!! I got ten or more from each of the 4 Safeway's around me! I still have some in my trunk. These two particular items do not go bad. And they are important to my daily routine of two cocktails after dinner, between 5:30ish and 8:00pm. I don't care what it looked like to the cashier, I felt it was totally smart shopping!

Oh, yes. Garage door openers. I just use the one hooked on my visor and it works every time.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Lynda

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It's not that I don't like the features on smart phones. I just don't like the price on them! Plus it's going to take me a long time to get used to using one. My friends have had smart phones forever so they'll often hand me their phone when they want to show me pictures or if I want to look something up online and while it's no problem for them, I struggle over doing even basic stuff. I wish I could use the same apps on my laptop since I already own that and know how to use it.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    "Shiftier days"! I want to hear all about it, chaos!
    lol I was joking with someone the other day that for the longest time I used to just keep a bump key hanging in plain sight of my house in case I locked myself out because I was sick of using credit cards to gain entry (at that point my dead bolt shifted out of alignment). But I figured most people wouldn't know how to use it and those who did know how ot use it likely brought their own anyways.

Same person I was joking with that it used to take some skill to steal a car. Little bit of knowledge. Now I can just buy a thing online and bypass all that nonsense and steal a car in seconds, no skill required.

Anytime I see things like external key pad garage door openers etc., especially on attached garages, I see a wide open door to the contents of the garage and the house (if attached) not a lot of people lock that door to the house in the garage it turns out. It's as good as leaving a key hanging outside for the shiftier set.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Oh, yes. Garage door openers. I just use the one hooked on my visor and it works every time.
    I wrongfully assumed I could count on that remote. The previous garage door could be opened manually from the inside via a toggle switch. I wasn’t used to toggle switches (hubby had to explain them to me) and one day forgot to put the switch back in the off position. So the door goes up, I exit, then it automatically goes down and tries to keep on going because the switch was still in the “on” position. The remote in my car couldn’t override it. With the new garage door and keypad the toggle switch was disconnected. So as long as I have electricity I can get back in through the garage, and I now also have a key hidden away.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My friends have had smart phones forever so they'll often hand me their phone when they want to show me pictures or if I want to look something up online and while it's no problem for them, I struggle over doing even basic stuff.
    Another given these days is that a clerk or whoever can hand you an IPOD to fill out an electronic form and you’re supposed to know how to do that. Phooey. I don’t have that kind of device.

Anytime I see things like external key pad garage door openers etc., especially on attached garages, I see a wide open door to the contents of the garage and the house (if attached) not a lot of people lock that door to the house in the garage it turns out. It's as good as leaving a key hanging outside for the shiftier set.
    Not happy to read this! So why aren't far more houses broken into through garages? I don’t read about that. What about the external key pad is so vulnerable?

No.......cc, I totally disagree with you on that!!!!

I have owned roughly 10 homes all over this country and IF the house does NOT have the external key pad ... we get a garage door company to install one right away.

We have never had any issues with them and I have never heard that anyone has either. Ever.

AND yes we have a key hanging in the garage on a hook to the back door for anyone that stops by when we are not home.

I text them the 'code' and then they have the key to open the door.

Easy Peasy.
    KAREN

Speaking of embarrassing... could any of you explain to me what it means "to troll" someone? I hear it so often now.

The caption was "Did [the] Queen use her hat to troll Brexit?" The Queen's hat has a striking similarity to the EU flag and theories fly on Twitter - CNN.com
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Speaking of embarrassing... could any of you explain to me what it means "to troll" someone? I hear it so often now.

The caption was "Did [the] Queen use her hat to troll Brexit?" The Queen's hat has a striking similarity to the EU flag and theories fly on Twitter - CNN.com
    STALK, I believe, BB!!!! Not sure what the Queen's hat has to do with TROLLING???
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast