+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help re: university courses

Need help re: university courses

Hi guys,

I'm going into university soon, and am offered a couple of choices, but I'm wondering if I could ask you guys for some advice.

I want to do something related to marketing/advertisiing, so would a Mass Communications course be more advantageous than a Business Course?
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Hi Raindance,
    I don't know much about that profession, however a counselor is the best bet for what are good courses to take. You may want to tackle required courses first and electives next.

It wouldn't hurt to look at job requirements for the position/field you're interested in. That might also give you a clue to what employees require.

Good luck and keep us posted.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I was just thinking about it too raindance but I havent actually taken my finals yet.

Anyway, I would really like to know about the universities in the US. I've heard about the ivy league and would like to know all about it.

What's the best and which university is recommendable for foreigners? Anyone would like to help?

Edit: I've looked through websites and brochures but I'd like to get some opinion from the locals too.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Well, if you are not insisting on Ivy League, try a small private Liberal Arts College instead.

I went as exchange/scholarship student to Beloit College (and husband got his B.Sc. from there, and we will definately be sending our kids there for undergraduate degree), on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois. Superb instruction and great athmosphere/environment. Small classes, and you really learn there. Also, there were quite a bit students from all around the globe, that made it all the more interesting.

Eldee, thanks, I was looking into speaking with a counsellor or someone who is in the line of marketing, which accounts for the post .

I'm not too sure, but the kind of job I wanted (marketing/advertising) take students from both Comm studies and Business, but I was wondering if any of them have an 'edge'.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

I took the liberty of posing your question to a friend of mine who works in advertising. Just for the sake of credibility, he works for Ogilvy (aka one of the largest ad agencies in the world), and went to college at Oxford. This man knows his stuff. The following is what he wrote me on the subject:

"Tell her to hang out be groovy and have a good time. Doesn't really matter
    whether she's got a marketing or a business degree (because guess what - they're both shite). She needs to watch TV , deconstruct ads, think about
    people and what makes them tick. Then she'll have to try and get a job as a junior account person - should try and do a summer internship with one of the agencies in town. If she wants to be a writer then she'll need to go
    to ad school afterwards. If she wants to be a planner she'll need to be
    clever."

Take that as you will, but I'll tell you that I've never seen this guy give a bad piece of advice.

Good luck!

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Great advice ajg113.

I'm taking notes.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

My daughter wanted to go into TV/marketing/advertizing.
    She majored in business marketing minor in TV production. She now thinks that more English classes would have been more useful than business. She got great internships and is now a TV producer/writer for news promotions. She is ALWAYS writing scripts. Plus she says to get all the experience you can on various editing machines etc. And get involved with campus life.
    Write for the newspaper, see if you can get a spot on the campus radio station.

I also sent you a PM.

Thanks ajg, mrscience and eldee. *hugs to you all

These are very good advice here, and I'm going to put them in mind.

ajg, thank you so much for asking your friend. Wow, Ogilvy! I've walked past the office in town a lot of times and I'm always in awe Yes, I love the advice 'be groovy and have fun'. I think enjoying what I study is the most important thing of all. Help me thank him, he gave some very good advice there. Yes and I'm working very hard to get an internship.

Mrscience, yes I'm planning to join the campus newspaper, and if possible the station too. Editing machines... I have to start working on that.

Thanks Eldee for the PM. I sent you one too.

+ Reply to Thread