+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: What did you want to be before you were 13?

What did you want to be before you were 13?

I thought this might be interesting for us all ...

I wanted to be a synchronised swimmer.
    In the beginning was the WORD. Without definition there was nothing. We define the words.

Baby, it's cold outside Arielflies's Avatar

Re: What did you want to be before you were 13?

ballet dancer. period. Then, of course, reality set in.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

At the age of 10 I wanted to be a nun. That didn't quite work out,
    After that I wanted to be something that involved art and/or sewing.
    Gutmutter likes this.

When I was 13 it was assumed by the world around me that I would get married and have children and be a stay at home mom. None of my friends' moms worked and my mom seemed to have it pretty good. I was an art major in college. After college I waitressed and made art on commission. The funny thing is that once I did get married and started having kids I did stay at home. Once the youngest was in full day kindergarten I started substitute teaching which led to getting certified. By the time I got divorced I was teaching full time and it has served me well. Now I'm retired with a teacher pension and health care benefits.
    Cootie and Cornholio like this.
    Count your blessings!

Anything to do with furry animals.
    waywyrd and Cootie like this.

A veterinarian.
    Cootie likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wasn't even thinking about jobs before I was 13. Sure, my sister and I talked about having a ranch or farm and raising a bunch of animals but I don't think we ever seriously meant to do it as a job.

I liked to write back then and do artistic things so if I had to choose a job then, it would have been in those fields.

I never wanted to have kids back then! I wanted to get married but I was hoping to adopt kids if my husband and I wanted them, preferably ones past the diaper stage.
    Cootie likes this.
    Current Pools: Celebrity Apprentice 8, Project Runway: Junior 2
    Upcoming Pools:
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

An architect. I used to have notebooks full of house plans -- very rudimentary, many outlandish or weird, but I loved floor plans and houses. Then I discovered how much math I would need, and gave up on a career in it!
    Cootie likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

A teacher. From a very young age. I had this board game called "Go to the Head of the Class" and I was always the teacher, never the pupil. And around middle school age I was intrigued by the idea of becoming a clinical psychologist. One of my first babysitting gigs was for a working wife and mother (this was early 70s) who was a clinical psychologist. Coming from a home where my mom and all of my aunts and mothers of my friends were SAHMs, I thought this lady was smart and classy. It was a passing fancy and I majored in Spanish, secondary ed, went on to get an M.A. in Spanish and had an oh but brief teaching career before I had my first child. I don't regret being a SAHM but at age 60 now I wonder if perhaps I should have returned to teaching when the kids were grown. I did return briefly for a period of 5 years working first as a para in the special ed dept of our local middle school and then as a substitute teacher. I much preferred substitute teaching b/c it afforded me flexibility. And I never knew what hat I was going to wear that day, which was fun.
    Cootie likes this.

As a kid I wanted to be either a mother or a model. Neither of those were in my future. lol I didn't even think of social work as a profession until in undergrad when a psych prof told my friend and I about it.
    Cootie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast