+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By redhood
  • 1 Post By Gutmutter

Thread: Could sharing my Netflix account with my friend land me in jail?

FORT Newbie

Could sharing my Netflix account with my friend land me in jail?

I have an account in Netflix account. I am a regular viewer. I am going on a trip to Asia with my girlfriend two weeks later. So, I'm gonna miss Netflix. One of my friends asked if he could use my account till I return back. I'm okay with it. Anyway I paid for it.

Yesterday my gf showed me an article that saying sharing the Netflix password is a crime in Canada. Is it a Crime to Share Your Netflix Password? | Kostman & Pyzer Barristers This got me worried. Will they be able to find out that someone else is using my account? Obviously he will be logging in on his PC or laptop.

I just want to be sure that it wouldn't cause any violation or that I will have to face any penalties. Please share your thoughts and suggestion.
    Gutmutter and momrek06 like this.

Re: Could sharing my Netflix account with my friend land me in jail?

My grown kids all use my Netflix account. Does family have an exemption? They use my Amazon Prime, too.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

NOT AT ALL.

My DC son has Netflix and he shares it with me and hubs, and his bro and his wife.

We have HuLu (no ads) and share it with all of the above.

We have Amazon Prime and share it with all.

We have HBO and share my HBOGO with my Milennials.

Only thing is, ONLY ONE HOUSEHOLD CAN VIEW AT A TIME.
    KAREN

Welcome, redhood!! Nice to see you here!
    Lynda

Baby, it's cold outside Arielflies's Avatar

The article highpoints read like it would have to be "unauthorized" use of your account for it to be illegal. If you authorize him, it may not be a problem. What does Netflix in Canada have to say about an authorized person using your password?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by redhood View Post
    I have an account in Netflix account. I am a regular viewer. I am going on a trip to Asia with my girlfriend two weeks later. So, I'm gonna miss Netflix. One of my friends asked if he could use my account till I return back. I'm okay with it. Anyway I paid for it.

Yesterday my gf showed me an article that saying sharing the Netflix password is a crime in Canada. Is it a Crime to Share Your Netflix Password? | Kostman & Pyzer Barristers This got me worried. Will they be able to find out that someone else is using my account? Obviously he will be logging in on his PC or laptop.

I just want to be sure that it wouldn't cause any violation or that I will have to face any penalties. Please share your thoughts and suggestion.
    Hi
    Legally you can share it with up to 6 people(NETFLIX asks if you'd like to connect your account to up to six users -their names will show up on your account). This is because you can use Netflix on six different devices. It is illegal to share your account with more than six people. Because those people are not authorized by Netflix to share the service you are paying for. It's stealing. Having said that, NETFLIX is lax in backing up it's terms of use policy.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 12-06-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Andy:there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
    Red:What're you talking about?
    Andy:Hope.

+ Reply to Thread