+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Holiday Season 2016

Holiday Season 2016

I thought I'd start out this holiday season with a new thread for 2016.

I put up my first tree for this season. It's the new one that I bought a couple of months ago. It's a 6.5 ft. snow flocked nature tree. It's in an urn and not a traditional shaped tree. I'm only putting a select amount of things like glistening holly berries, shimmering greenery, a couple of snow owls and snow crested pine cones and no actual ornaments. I'm not quite finished with it, but when I am, I'll post a photo of it. I think it's going to be so lovely.

Of course, I have other trees to put up too, but, this one will be the star of the show this year. That's for sure.

So, I'm just about done with all the things I need for decorating. That's a huge relief to not have to spend time on that. I'll just enjoy what I already have!

I have already bought my niece most of her gifts. (Clothes mainly. Some I bought last season on sale, keeping her expected size in mind and so that's mostly done.) One educational gift and that will be complete.

I bought my cousin, who is in Memory Care a doll recently for Christmas. I think she'll like it. I may even give it to her before Christmas. She's starting having some anxiety looking for her parents. She's progressed to the point that she is a little girl and wants her parents a lot of the time and cries for them. It's sad. I hope maybe the doll will bring her some comfort, if the meds are not able to help more. Plus, I'm getting her an athletic pants with jacket and new shoes. (She can't walk, but likes the fit and comfort.)

We are planning a Holiday party at the office. They are saying it should cost around $350.00 in food. Does that sound right? I'm going to estimate around 50 people. Just hors d'oeuvres, cider and punch. I was planning on making the food and taking it, but maybe not.

Re: Holiday Season 2016

Great idea, Debb, for a thread!!!

Debb70 and woodiedog like this.
    KAREN

I thought this link had some great saying about the Holidays.

. Holidays are about experiences and people, and tuning into what you feel like doing at that moment. Enjoy not having to look at a watch. – Evelyn Glennie

2. The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life. – Richard Bach

3. I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. – Charles Dickens

4. The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. – Burton Hillis

5. I find that it’s the simple things that remind you of family around the holidays. – Amy Adams

6. Christmas is not just a time for festivity and merry making. It is more than that. It is a time for the contemplation of eternal things. The Christmas spirit is a spirit of giving and forgiving. – J. C. Penney
    21 Holiday Quotes on Bringing the Family Together

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

One of my "to-do" things this year is to try to march in the Macy's holiday parade at Universal Studios in Florida on my birthday (12/16). I love a parade!
    I'm Paula.

I have no idea what to get my mom for Christmas. My dad I can figure something out but my mom is blind and now has that walker after her stroke last Christmas. I don't know what to get her.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I have no idea what to get my mom for Christmas. My dad I can figure something out but my mom is blind and now has that walker after her stroke last Christmas. I don't know what to get her.
    It's so hard to know what to get someone who has limited mobility or other issues. I know that with my cousin, I've learned to try to keep it simple. Does your mom stay cool? Many seniors do. I might consider a very soft throw, shawl or blanket. Or maybe audio books. They also make these wonderful organizers that connect to the walker where they can keep their things organized and know where they are, like tissues, remote, phone, hand lotion, etc.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

How about a homemade "coupon book" with things like: "This coupon good for one trip to (something she likes)." Or "This coupon good for a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies." Etc., etc., etc.
    I'm Paula.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My blind friends still like jewelry, and since they can't see too well, they appreciate gifts for the other senses, like an Ipod with their favorite music loaded on it, good-smelling candles, soaps, and room deodorizers, soft robes, slippers, or blankets, audio books, things like that. Home-baked goods are also appreciated.
    CantGetNuf and Cootie like this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

I like the walker attachment idea. I have a walker and I carry everything in the basket that hangs underneath the seat. I don't have to carry a purse on my shoulder anymore. Oh, maybe a walker with a seat - called a rollerator. I also love the soft throw idea. I'm always wrapped in mine when in my chair.
    PGM35, causingchaos and Debb70 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The rollerator has become very popular. I think it's so nice to be able to sit down for bit if needed when using the walker, and that's why they are so popular. Plus, it must be much easier to use wheels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast