+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Holiday Season 2016

Re: Holiday Season 2016

I'm such a scrooge lol Last year, my tree finally got put up on the 21st. My house was torn up for a remodel and I was not feeling it. This year, I'm hoping to get into the spirit. My boys are supposed to get leave, so maybe that will spur me on.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I've come up with some ideas for this Thanksgiving family celebration. My mom and I have discussed it and she's on board. We'll see how it goes. Our family started the Thanksgiving Breakfast a few years ago and it's been a big success. We start early and have all the breakfast favorites. Family members can visit and relax and not have to rush elsewhere until later. Most have so many different places to go throughout the day, so this works great.

After Thanksgiving Breakfast, we are going to have the teens decorate one of my mom's trees. The adults can supervise. They can put up all the ornaments. Family members all have one with their name on it. (Plus, the snowmen, Santa's, reindeer, bells, etc. It's the traditional kid's tree.)

THEN, I'm getting music for a couple of holiday songs and we are going to sing it as a family on video! I think it will be a lot of fun. We have quite a few family members who a extremely talented vocalists, but, it's the spirit of the thing that matters, even for those who don't sing much. I think it will be something to always remember and enjoy when watching. We can play it on the big screen for our Christmas gathering!

Does anyone know a way to set up a phone to record on a stand? There'll be at least 25 people, but we'll want everyone in the video.

Oh, any song suggestions would be appreciated. Mom suggested the one that starts out, "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go." And then, I thought of "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer." lol I know, poor taste. It would be funny though. I think some happy songs would be best, nothing too slow or serious.
    Last edited by Debb70; 11-06-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Write new words for the 12 Days of Christmas; assign each person a number, and then have them sing it every time it's their turn. Make it family-specific. I've done this for work parties, and it's hysterical.

For example, I started a Christmas singing group at one company I worked for. There were five positions of Associate General Managers. So it was "Five AGM's" . . . Brought down the house, as those of us who were singing it would go into all kinds of harmonies and hold our hands over our hearts. The first time one of the AGMs was in the audience, he insisted that we had to go to the Executive Luncheon and sing for ALL the AGMs. I've done variations at church parties.
    CantGetNuf, navybelle and Debb70 like this.
    I'm Paula.

Great idea AZC! I'll have to work on that.

This one might be too serious, but, it sure does capture the Thanksgiving theme. It's from the show Nashville.
    It's called, "A Life That Is Good." I love it. My nephew could probably accompany us with his guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTr5FO-ALg

Sittin' here tonight,
    By the fire light,
    It reminds me I already have more than I should.

I don't need fame, no one to know my name,
    At the end of the day,
    Lord I pray, I have a life that's good.

Two arms around me, heaven to ground me,
    And a family that always calls me home,

Four wheels to get there, enough love to share
    And a sweet sweet sweet song

At the end of the day,
    Lord I pray ,
    I have a life that's good.

Sometimes I'm hard on me,
    When dreams don't come easy,
    I wanna look back and say,
    I did all that I could,

Yeah at the end of the day, Lord I pray,
    I have a life that's good.

Two arms around me, heaven to ground me,
    And a family that always calls me home,

Four wheels to get there, enough love to share
    And a sweet sweet sweet song

At the end of the day, Lord I pray
    I have a life that's good

At the end of the day, Lord I pray
    I have a life that's good

https://play.google.com/music/previe...gnid=kp-lyrics
    agamergirl and AZChristian like this.

I love the Thanksgiving breakfast idea. That sounds like a lot of fun. The lyrics to that song remind me of this poem:
    "I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
    I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
    I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
    I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much
    bigger.
    I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
    I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
    I wish enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Goodbye."

My friends, I wish you enough!
    by
    Bob Perks

Home
    Debb70 likes this.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

Agamergirl, I love it!
    agamergirl likes this.

OMG I want the Tree Dazzler. That's my least favorite part is putting on the lights!! We have a star shower for outside, way easier than putting up lights!
    We have gotten a real tree since I have been married, mostly because we don't have anywhere to store a fake one. We have a smaller white fake one that my daughter puts in her room, but she can store that in her closet.
    I have already seen 3 of my favorite Christmas movies have been on tv (I didn't get to watch them all, but I always stop when I see they are on)- The Family Stone, The Preacher's Wife, and a Hallmark movie called Let it Snow.
    We already got my kid her "big" gift from us, she knows about it- we got her a bunk/futon bed. She is 10 and still whole-heartedly believes, and keeps mentioning she cant wait for her Elf on a Shelf (named Riley) to appear. I honestly thought last year would be the end of that, but I am excited for crafty ideas I already have planned for this year.
    I love the holidays!!
    Punkin, navybelle and Debb70 like this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

My mother hated Christmas. So she kinda passed on that to me. Christmas in my house was a nightmare.

I usually take my mom away for Christmas, but this time we are visiting family in Florida. I'm excited to cook Christmas dinner...but I've been spoiled for all these years not having to buy presents. Now I have to buy presents for 4 people. No idea what to get everybody. My two Uncles really like guns, so I'm thinking about gun related items. (Hopefully no political talk will be brought up!), but no idea what to get my two Aunts and my mom.

I think I'm going to need a vacation after this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

My nephew likes to hunt. He likes anything with deer on it. I used to get him a hunting wall calendar. Most of the time that had pictures of deer or ducks on it.

Speaking of deer. I love animals, but in NC we are overrun with deer. Just this morning I saw a deer run out of the woods almost to the highway in front of my car! He saw the cars, stopped, turned around and ran back into the woods. I hit my brakes, but thank goodness no other deer were with him. Normally, if you see one, there are more with them. Also, all along the roadway there are deer carcasses. Sorry, I just wanted to explain why hunting deer is acceptable here. They are so dangerous.
    CantGetNuf and beerbelly like this.

KAREN

+ Reply to Thread