+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Holiday Season 2016

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Holiday Season 2016

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I loved your story Miss Scarlet!
    So did I! I'm a cheapskate in the sense that I love a good bargain and hate to pay full price for anything. Not a cheapskate, however, when it comes to gift-giving for my friends and family.

I've been price-conscious since a little girl. We'd go shopping for holiday dresses at Easter and Christmas. Mom would be holding 2 dresses up and asking which I preferred. I'd look at the price tags and always pick the cheaper one. Sis, however, would always go for the more expensive of the two.
    beerbelly likes this.

I usually put up the tree on December 1. When i was younger 'i would decorate everything that couldnt run away! But nowadays, just the livingroom and front door.
    causingchaos and Eastcoastmom like this.

I'm mom's main taker to places person. So she goes out to eat and to stores she wants to go to. So we're good there. I'm leaning towards lotion and trying to encourage her into better soaps too. She doesn't really listen to music never has. But she'll be going to my little what I call baby orchestra concert (I'm in the little string orchestra that the community orchestra uses as a feeder for strings into it) she'll like that.

I put my tree up on Thanksgiving usually because it's just me alone here. And I usually take it down Christmas day at some point. Really I only got into that habit because those are both extra days off from work and easiest to do extra stuff like that.

We put our tree up on Thanksgiving day, too. We put it up after our Thanksgiving meal later in the afternoon. It's just become a tradition we do. Besides, our loved ones are there, and enjoy helping trim the tree.
    Cootie likes this.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Since we left New England and moved to the West coast, I bought a fiber optic XMAS tree table top. I LOVE IT. So pretty. I still decorate all inside and outside.

As we travel every Christmas. I can put that TREE up as early as possible and take down whenever. No worries about it being watered, etc.

Last year we were gone 2 weeks.

This year we are only gone 5 days.

This is IT!!!

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/3-f...works-tree.cfm
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    KAREN

I just love, love, love all my tree ornaments and decorations, but haven't actually put up my tree in a few years. I always got a real tree, selected from a local farm where the guys would help me put it on/in the car, and I'd saw off the bottom myself right before putting it up. Then it would take hours and hours and hours to decorate, often while having the Army-Navy football game on for nostalgic reasons. I put tons of lights on and loads of ornaments... it's so pretty.

But, a few years ago, I was working so much, was never home, and couldn't get it done, and realized I managed fine without, and since then I haven't chosen to do all of it, since I'm the only one here to appreciate it anyway. And the year I got my kittens, a tree was out of the question. So, now I'm torn - - I like it, love it, but don't like all the time it takes and all the work it is. I on't want to downgrade, or settle for something I don't like as well, purchasing something else when I don't need to. If I'd do it, I would do it right. I just realized I did fine without a tree, so I'm not sure how it will go this season. I used to be all-in on everything Christmasy! Now, I don't know!?
    Debb70 likes this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Since we downsized to a smaller home two years ago, we bought a tabletop tree with the lights already attached. I decorate it with Jim Shore Santa ornaments. Takes about 5 minutes, start to finish - which is right in keeping with my attention span.
    Punkin and CantGetNuf like this.
    I'm Paula.

When I got divorced & bought my house, I didn't want to bother with going out to get a live tree. Going out to the woods to cut my own was out of the question, and buying one from a lot was way too expensive (see the cheapskate post). Plus getting it home in my car & hauling it in was a pain alone.
    Now I don't do Christmas Shopping for decorations. In fact, I don't even do Day After Christmas Shopping for them. I wait 'till about a month later when everything is being clearanced out dirt cheap, around 90% off (once again, see the cheapskate post). I've bought all my decorations that way. Sometimes I have to eye something for a few years 'till I see one left then.

I got lucky & the first January after I got my house I found a 7.5 foot, really lush, extremely realistic one, on sale extremely cheap. It wasn't prelit, which was fine by me. This was right when the prelit ones were coming out, which is probably why mine was left.
    Problem is, it takes forever to put up. It has 12 layers & each layer has between 8-15 branch sections to put in. It's all color co-ordinated, so as to put the right section in the right layer. By the time I assemble it, I just don't want to decorate anymore. A royal pain, but worth it.

When I got my house remodeled, I didn't have access to the basement to get all the tree stuff up, for a few years. Then when I finally did, that pesky cancer thing kicked in & I just didn't want to bother putting up my tree.
    I have a pretty large ceramic light up tree that my Dad made for my Mom one year. I've been putting that up instead & really loving it & getting loads of positive comments on it.

Well, this year access to the basement is back, and the cancer situation is kicked to the curb. I'm strongly considering hauling out the tree & giving it at least one more go just because I can. Once it's done I've always been glad I took the bother. It deserves at least one more time just to decide if I still think it's worth it.
    If I do, ceramic tree will still go up too.
    Punkin, CantGetNuf, Cootie and 2 others like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Miss Scarlet, we had a 7 footer much like the one you mentioned in your post above. It too, had tips that were color-coded and you had to place each branch in a certain order. Then of course you had to fluff each branch out, bending this way and that to get a nice shape. I loved that tree but it took forever to put up, as you said. So many people thought it was a real tree, and unless you got super close you wouldn't know the difference. Then those pre-lit ones came out and we decided to get that. Just 3 sections...easy peasy.

I still have the ceramic Christmas tree my aunt made for me as a bridal shower gift. Circa 1983 but still lights up. Oh, and it's musical, too!

I thought I'd give you a run for your money with the cheapskate title, but nope, it's all yours. Wear it proudly. But I have to say I do a LOT of Christmas gift buying and decorations, wrap, cards purchasing right after Christmas at 50% off. But 90% off, good on you!

Last season Macy's was having an after Christmas sale and I picked up these Lenox Christmas votives for 5 bucks apiece. I think I bought 6!

AZChristian, Photobabe and Debb70 like this.

I'm so happy to see everyone in the spirit. For to many years now I've heard, and felt myself, the blah it's that time again. But the holiday spirit seems to be a little bit more alive this year. I've enjoyed the stories of your trees. My family tradition was to put the tree and decorations up the day after Thanksgiving and take them down a few days after New Years. With my own family I started doing my tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving, that way I could shop Black Friday for any deals on decorations, and I try to take them down in time for Easter. Put me down for the 50-90% off decorations. Every year when I get my decorations out there's always something new in the box that I can't remember where or when I bought it. Usually it's something I bought at deep discount in Feb.
    This year I'm actually looking forward to the family dinner at the in laws. I'm going to make a saran wrap gift ball. It looks so fun and I'm actually coming up with good ideas to use as the gifts.
    navybelle and Debb70 like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread