+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Holiday Season 2016

Re: Holiday Season 2016

I LOVE the smell of a fresh-cut tree. The only reason we don't get a fresh-cut one, is because I put our tree up so early.
    agamergirl and Debb70 like this.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Oh I do, too, angelic! The blue spruce is our favorite. Such a lovely tree when lit, although a bit prickly!
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Yep. The blue spruce is gorgeous! So since my tree is artificial, I just light a pine scented candle in the room, and it helps give the same ambience.
    waywyrd and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I LOVE the smell of a fresh-cut tree. The only reason we don't get a fresh-cut one, is because I put our tree up so early.
    yes, same here. Ours goes up the first weekend in December and isn't taken down until after the new year. Oh, how I love the smell of a freshly cut evergreen tree!
    angelic_one2002 likes this.

My coworker was loving on this thing last night on facebook: Tree Dazzler

When mom had her stroke last Christmas we got a prescription for the wheelie walker with a seat so that got all covered by medicare for her. Just wanted to put that here that it can be covered if the doctor writes the order for it for anyone who has family struggling with the tennis ball walkers.

I'm still mulling it over.

When I was a little kid, we never put a tree up early, in fact, "we" didn't put one up at all. Santa put it up & decorated it & left it for us late at night on Christmas Eve. We woke to a beautiful, decorated tree on Christmas morning. The fact that it was decorated with the same family decorations was never questioned. We also didn't take it down until after the Feast of the Three Wise Men, on January 6.
    As we got older and found out other people put theirs up, and did it early, we never cared. We loved the family tradition. At that point we had a family joke that "Santa puts it up. The Three Wise Men take it down."

Many many years later, after we were all long since grown & had families of our own, and a few years after Dad had passed away, I happened to be sitting around talking to Mom about Christmas Traditions. I mentioned our tradition of the tree appearing at night on Christmas Eve. She told me the REAL truth story behind it:

Dad wasn't a cheapskate, he was the KING of the cheapskates. He refused to pay the going price at the time for a Christmas tree. So he'd find out what time the local tree lots would close. He'd scope them out earlier in the day for the best selection & trees. Then he'd show up right at closing time, as the lot people were closing down.
    He'd get a tree either free or dirt cheap. After all, what are they going to do with them after Christmas? He never broke down & bought one earlier his whole life.

Mom & I got the biggest laugh out of the story. It was just so Dad, but none of us had any idea.

Funny thing is that apparently he taught me everything he knew about being a Cheapskate. I'm almost as bad. We used to call each other whenever one of us got an abnormal steal price on an item & brag about it, and compare cheapskate stories. My son learned it from me. He's the same way, in fact, with the help of the Internet, he's even more like Dad.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

FORT Fogey

I've volunteered in nursing homes/assisted living residences. For someone who uses a walker, just getting out can be a hassle and thus, the person gets out less and less. Maybe instead of an actual material possession, an experience would be a good gift--take your mom somewhere she enjoys going that's still a feasible outing for her, given her disabilities. Also, in addition to audio books, there's always just plain music. You can certainly enjoy a good CD when blind and in a walker. As for lotion, I know at least one blind woman who liked lotion bars--impossible to spill or squirt where you didn't mean to squirt (and when you can't see where the errant blob of lotion landed, that's kind of a problem). They might also be easier to handle than a bottle of lotion for some older folks.

If there's a book she'd really like to experience that isn't available on audiobooks, you could also volunteer to read it to her. I actually enjoy reading aloud, so that would be a win-win for me.

As for the walker bags, my sister is in a walker, and she found someone who makes them who made one exactly to her specifications in the materials of her choice. You might be able to find something like that through Etsy or through a local craftsperson.
    Gutmutter and Baby's Breath like this.

KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Me, too! I have a fake one but the first thing I do when I get to a store that has them outside is take a few minutes and breath in that wonderful smell. It's one of my most favorite smells ever.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

I loved your story Miss Scarlet!
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread