+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Holiday Season 2016

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Holiday Season 2016

You all have such great ideas for a gift for causingchaos's mom.

Christmas is less than 2 months away...how did this year fly by so quickly? All my nieces and nephews are grown so my days of gift purchasing are over. They get cash in their cards. The only child I purchase for is my neighbor's granddaughter who is now in 5th grade. I have no idea what is the hot toy this year. Anybody here have any girls around that age? I'll have to ask my neighbor what her granddaughter is into these days.

Sis and I alternate hosting Christmas. This year is my year off. As much as I like to host, I better enjoy my year off as I get to take my time in the morning and go to 12:30 Mass. On years I host I'm forced to be up, showered and dressed super early to get to 8 a.m. Mass. I'm not a morning person. I have no problem being up early, which I have to do when I'm hosting anyway, but it's the not hanging around in my nightgown and showering at the last minute which I have issues with. Plus it's Christmas so you (I) want to look fairly presentable at Mass.
    CantGetNuf and PGM35 like this.

I'm glad that I have so little left to do this year for the holidays. I've already gotten all, but a few items that I'll need.

We'll have the large family celebration on Christmas Eve. Then, just a limited amount of family and some friends for lunch on Christmas day. Then by that evening, I can put on my new jammies and relax!

I think it's neat how Catholics attend church on Christmas Day. With the Baptists, some of them cancel services if it's on Christmas Day. lol I guess since most people will be out of town, traveling or spending time with family.

Debb, in some areas Catholics have services on Saturday night. My parish offers a 5 p.m. Mass on Saturdays, which is helpful to many families whose children play sports on Sundays. I can never take advantage of that Mass, though, b/c on Christmas Eve we are at my sister-in-law's, who lives in one of the outer NYC boroughs. On holidays a one hour drive can take up to 3 hours to get there. It's just awful. So, we are either in transit at that time or already there and I can't attend Sat. evening Mass. I've never heard of cancelling worship services on Christmas. Interesting.
    causingchaos likes this.

Does anyone know with these pre-lit Christmas trees...if a couple of the lights go out, do you simply buy spare individual bulbs for it? We bought a beautiful Christmas tree a couple years ago, and I don't want to replace an entire tree just because a few bulbs go out on it. Someone suggested once cutting off all of the Christmas lights on it, and putting all new lights on it. That sounds like way too much work.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    Does anyone know with these pre-lit Christmas trees...if a couple of the lights go out, do you simply buy spare individual bulbs for it? We bought a beautiful Christmas tree a couple years ago, and I don't want to replace an entire tree just because a few bulbs go out on it. Someone suggested once cutting off all of the Christmas lights on it, and putting all new lights on it. That sounds like way too much work.
    angelic, that happened to us. The lights are in sequence so when one bulb goes out, they all do. Hubby once spent the entire day repairing it and it was a nightmare. Yes, it's nice that once the tree is up, the lights are lit and you are good to go. But in the long run with a regular tree it's just easier to remove the stand that is not lighting up and either repair it or replace with another good strand. On the pre-lit trees it really is a nightmare to repair. But my husband has the patience of a saint and he diligently went through each and every bulb on the strand trying to find the 'one' that was out or the 'many' that were out. And then he fixed them by replacing with new bulbs. It's not worth it, it really isn't, imo.

Thanks, ECM. I wondered which "route" to go when this happens. I can see my DH painstakingly going through each bulb too, trying to figure out the faulty one (s). I think maybe cutting the strand off with wire cutters would be the solution. I really love this tree, and would hate to get rid of it just because of a few lights out on it.
    Debb70 likes this.

I encountered that with a lovely tree that I used for years. But, let's face it. When the lights go, it's really sad. What I did was CUT OFF the string of dead lights. That is a HUGE and painful experience. The tree had these very hard fastners that were super tough to get through. It was painstakingly difficult. So much so, that when it happened to the next string of lights on that tree, I decided to ignore them and just put my own strand of lights over the dead ones. After you decorate, it wasn't noticeable. After more went out. I gave up. I bought a new tree this year and I'm super happy to avoid light issues....at least for a few years. lol I don't have the patience to deal with stringing lights on a tree anymore.

KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I encountered that with a lovely tree that I used for years. But, let's face it. When the lights go, it's really sad. What I did was CUT OFF the string of dead lights. That is a HUGE and painful experience. The tree had these very hard fastners that were super tough to get through. It was painstakingly difficult. So much so, that when it happened to the next string of lights on that tree, I decided to ignore them and just put my own strand of lights over the dead ones. After you decorate, it wasn't noticeable. After more went out. I gave up. I bought a new tree this year and I'm super happy to avoid light issues....at least for a few years. lol I don't have the patience to deal with stringing lights on a tree anymore.
    I thought of that idea too, Debb70. I was afraid you could see the bulkiness of the strands even through the ornaments. Normally, if the tree was old, I'd pitch it and buy a new one. We bought this tree because our former one was really old, and we decided to get a pretty good tree with this one.

We cut every year but it's gotten hard to find a decent tree in a tree farm that doesn't spray.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

+ Reply to Thread