+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

MRD

Re: Pet Peeves

I actually know a woman with a man's name and it was not because her parents thought she couldn't get ahead in the world withoug a man's name, but because they wanted to name her after her father, so they named her Christoper. Not Christina, but Christopher.
    She went by Chris.

I'm named after my father, but thankfully its the feminine version although I do get it shortened a lot. His name was Claude, Mine is Claudia and most of my friends call me Claud (but they do drop the "e", if they write it)
    But I love how the native Spanish speakers say my name. It sounds so beautiful.
    They really draw it out so it sounds like Cloud-ia, but they draw out the ou sound.

I agree with the pet peeves about names. I realize that it's the parents perogitive to name a child, but consider that this child is going to have to deal with this name the rest of their lives. I have spent 46 years spelling my name for people. I have spent 20 years spelling my last name for people and telling them how to pronounce it correctly.

I just read an article about colleges having mega problems at graduation trying to prounounce the graduates names correctly. They want to make sure that at this very important event, they get it right and how the administration struggles with it.

I don't think we need to go back to the days were everyone was named John or Mary (not that there is anything wrong with those names, my brother's name is John and I have a good friend named Mary), but I do think that parents should consider the lifelong ramifications of the goofy names and goofy spellings before they bestow that forever on a child.

That said, my sister had a kid in her school (she has worked for the Orlando, FL school district for 20+ years) whose name was Casabeer. Yes, Case of Beer. Those parents need to be soundly whipped for THAT.

My pet peeve today is that I can't watch tv with my daughter. She has to comment on EVERYTHING, so I miss half the show because she's going on and on about something. I just gave up and came to FORT.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I recall giving my mom crap for not giving me her name, Claudia.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3113133;
    I recall giving my mom crap for not giving me her name, Claudia.
    I've met a lot more in the last few years, but I was the ONLY one in my entire county with that name for years and years and years.

My pet peeve: insensitive people. They act or speak without thinking of the ramifications of what they are saying or how hurtful their sometimes "witty" comments or observations can be to people who suffer from medical problems that they cannot help having.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3113078;
    I actually know a woman with a man's name and it was not because her parents thought she couldn't get ahead in the world withoug a man's name, but because they wanted to name her after her father, so they named her Christoper. Not Christina, but Christopher.
    She went by Chris.
    Of course not all girls with boy's names are named for the reason I mentioned, but I read a newspaper article about that a few years ago - "my daughter will get further ahead with a boy's name" . I honestly thought that was not only silly, but also sets women's place in the world back a couple of decades.

And as someone who has to send correspondence to unknown people quite regularly, I truly wish that names were more gender specific. It peeves me to have to be callling companies to find out "pardon me, but is Robin/Leslie/Sean/Chris/Morgan/Courtney a male or a female?" Either that, or I wish someone would come up with some gender neutral form of address: Dear Mx. Robin Jones. Would make my life easier, it would.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Peeve for the day, a telemarketer calling my office phone and totally saying my last name wrong! I got really irate and said if I got another call at work they would hear from my corporate headquarters.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3113195;
    Peeve for the day, a telemarketer calling my office phone and totally saying my last name wrong! I got really irate and said if I got another call at work they would hear from my corporate headquarters.
    Telemarketers period at home or work. And those that get our names wrong in particular! Although, that usually alerts me that it's a telemarketer and I am instantly on alert.

It's been a very bad day today. Another peeve I have is listening to 3 different neighbors have their stereos up full blast and I'm being vibrated on all sides of the apartment!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

some days are bigger peeve days than others.

Sometimes I'm just generally peeved and not sure exactly why. But the stereos would be very annoying for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3113169;
    And as someone who has to send correspondence to unknown people quite regularly, I truly wish that names were more gender specific. It peeves me to have to be callling companies to find out "pardon me, but is Robin/Leslie/Sean/Chris/Morgan/Courtney a male or a female?"
    I was talking to a co-worker a while back about a work issue which involved a third co-worker named Vivian, who I had never met in person or talked to directly by phone. I referred to Vivian as "she" in the conversation and was politely informed that Vivian was a man - I honestly had NO CLUE that Vivian could be used as a male name! Strangely within a week of this incident I watched the movie "Mrs. Henderson Presents" in which one of the main characters was a man named Vivian!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3113995;
    I was talking to a co-worker a while back about a work issue which involved a third co-worker named Vivian, who I had never met in person or talked to directly by phone. I referred to Vivian as "she" in the conversation and was politely informed that Vivian was a man - I honestly had NO CLUE that Vivian could be used as a male name! Strangely within a week of this incident I watched the movie "Mrs. Henderson Presents" in which one of the main characters was a man named Vivian!!
    Make that two of us. I know a man whose name is Vivian too. How shocked I was when I first found out.

My pet peeve: People not knowing how to use "she", "he", "her", "him", "I" and "me". They're the most basic pronouns in the English language. They were absolutely butchered in last night's Bachelorette episode.
    2003-2008.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast