+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

Re: Pet Peeves

Peeve for the day. The baby next door is screaming at the top of his lungs. It's not a hunger cry, not a change me cry, not an I'm tired cry. It sounds like he has been left alone (but I know he isn't, I can see the mom in the livingroom). When you live in an apartment, why let the child scream like that? Just because you can handle it doesn't mean it is very comfortable for the rest of us!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3096048;
    I have this problem, too. I love it when I send E-mails to professors and so forth, where my name, Collin, is clearly signed at the bottom. They almost invariably write back to "Colin," so they obviously haven't bothered to look or think I've misspelled my own name.
    Don't feel too bad, my name was spelled wrong in my Senior yearbook. I spent 13 years with these people (K-12), and for my final good-bye, my name is spelled wrong and that is how my class reunion invitations are now addressed.

My pet peeve for today, when someone hands you a glass with their finger or fingers inside the glass...yuck, I don't know where your hands have been, please keep your fingers out my glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3102477;

My pet peeve for today, when someone hands you a glass with their finger or fingers inside the glass...yuck, I don't know where your hands have been, please keep your fingers out my glass.
    Oh I agree. I went to the Wendy's drive-thru with my daughter the other night to get Frostys. We could clearly see the girl making them as she got some on her fingers and proceeded to lick them off then insert straws into our drinks. My daughter begged me not to say anything as she slinked down in her seat but I was not about to take those things home. The girl copped a huge attitude so I asked for the manager and we got new drinks.
    CYA

Gross Bunny!

Yesterday while getting some cold medicine and sunscreen, a girl came up to me to comment on my sunflower tattoo. She then proceeded to pull her shirt up and pants down a little bit to show me hers on her back. She had hair all over her lower back and I nearly gagged. Why in the world would anyone think that's ok to do??
    Yup, with donuts!!

A world where 115 is healthy, 120 is plus sized and 125 is morbidly obese

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3084178;
    My peeve lately is related to the names I am seeing on kids lately. The two biggest ones are:

1) Naming a kid after alcohol - who thought of this!? I was watching a reality show a while back and one of the contestants was named Bourbon (I still hope that was a "screen name"). I got a phone call a few weeks ago and the name on the caller ID was Tequila!! I have seen others: Chardonnay, Hennessey, etc...

2) Getting "creative" (or kre8tive) with the spelling of a name. Case in point: SYTYCD right now features Kourtni and Kherington. There are certainly acceptable alternate spellings of many names, but some of the ones I see lately are just obviously over-the-top. My daughter is named Ariana and a few months after she was born I seriously saw a birth announcement in the paper with a similar name spelled Airriyannha. I don't know how teachers keep these spellings straight!!
    I agree with #2 completely. Some I've seen are Lyssa (for Lisa), Agyness (for Agnes), Alys (for Alice), Krystyne (for Christine), Kathryn (for Catherine), Crystofer (for Christopher), Jaykob (for Jacob), Awbree (for Aubrey), Sabrynna (for Sabrina), Cerra (for Sarah). I mean come on, but to be honest I love to find out the craziest way to spell a name, in fact I'll create a thread for it!

MRD

Add me to the pet peeve about names.
    My daughter's name is Lucy and people want to spell it Luci, Lucie. Have we gotten to the point where everyone spells their name differently, that the old spellings are being forgotten?

I went to school (back in the ancient year of 1979, so these girls were born in 1961) with twins named Tequila and Tijiauna. Hmm, wonder where their parents were and what they were doing in 1960?

My husband can't meet anyone named Brandy without singing that awful song: Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a fine wife you would be...."
    And that would be a pet peeve, because I got that joke the first 500 times he did it, now it's old and stupid, enough already.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

lmao! I've seen (Rosana) butchered. Ive even been Roxana. Not kidding. I also laugh when i see Henesy for a baby's name. C'mon!
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I just have to say I'm so glad I'm not the only one with peeves about names!!

My peeve this morning: I got coffee from Starbucks this morning and a newbie was making the drinks. I got to work and my latte stinks!! Starbucks is too expensive to be handing out bad drinks!
    On the flip side, I found out last week that my fav Starbucks location is one of the ones on the chopping block, so it will be closing at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton;3110621;
    I agree with #2 completely. Some I've seen are Lyssa (for Lisa), Agyness (for Agnes), Alys (for Alice), Krystyne (for Christine), Kathryn (for Catherine), Crystofer (for Christopher), Jaykob (for Jacob), Awbree (for Aubrey), Sabrynna (for Sabrina), Cerra (for Sarah). I mean come on, but to be honest I love to find out the craziest way to spell a name, in fact I'll create a thread for it!
    I hate the goofy names and goofier spellings, myself, but in all fairness, Krystyne is actually a common spelling in eastern Europe and Kathryn is an old spelling - Henry VIII's 3rd wife was Kathryn Howard. Catherine is just one of those names I have to reconcile myself to asking for a spelling of. But then again, so is John. Or Jon.

I was going to say one of my least favourite naming tricks is the apostrophe or upper case letter in the middle of a name (T'Lara or PaTricia), but really, that's not the case. I hate all goofy names, all goofy spellings, made up names and girls' given boys' names (Michael, Sean, Glenn). That just says to me you don't think your daughter is going to be able to get ahead in this world unless people think she's a dude.
    Last edited by Rattus; 07-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3112210;
    I just have to say I'm so glad I'm not the only one with peeves about names!!

My peeve this morning: I got coffee from Starbucks this morning and a newbie was making the drinks. I got to work and my latte stinks!! Starbucks is too expensive to be handing out bad drinks!
    On the flip side, I found out last week that my fav Starbucks location is one of the ones on the chopping block, so it will be closing at the end of the month.
    There are a ton within blocks of eachother in Times Square, Manhattan. I reckon theyll be leveled to 2-3.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast