+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves

Re: Pet Peeves

My biggest pet peeve is hair in the shower. I cannot stand any stray hairs in the shower!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3079280;
    My biggest pet peeve is hair in the shower. I cannot stand any stray hairs in the shower!
    Oh my gosh Bug, how about hair on the bar of soap....EWWWW

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3082588;
    Oh my gosh Bug, how about hair on the bar of soap....EWWWW
    That's why we all have our own liquid soap......I hate sharing!

I hate drivers who do not signal for direction. This may be a small town but do not assume I know where you're going.....Sheesh!
    CYA

My pet peeve is parents who let their child scream at the top of their lungs in an apartment complex!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

My peeve lately is related to the names I am seeing on kids lately. The two biggest ones are:

1) Naming a kid after alcohol - who thought of this!? I was watching a reality show a while back and one of the contestants was named Bourbon (I still hope that was a "screen name"). I got a phone call a few weeks ago and the name on the caller ID was Tequila!! I have seen others: Chardonnay, Hennessey, etc...

2) Getting "creative" (or kre8tive) with the spelling of a name. Case in point: SYTYCD right now features Kourtni and Kherington. There are certainly acceptable alternate spellings of many names, but some of the ones I see lately are just obviously over-the-top. My daughter is named Ariana and a few months after she was born I seriously saw a birth announcement in the paper with a similar name spelled Airriyannha. I don't know how teachers keep these spellings straight!!

FORT Fanatic

I can't imagine what some people are thinking when they name their children. Can you imagine going through life with some of these names? These are some names that celebrities named their kids. Could be cute nicknames, but what were they thinking?

Pilot Inspektor
    Fifi Trixibelle
    Apple
    Coco
    Kyd
    Sage Moonblood
    Memphis Eve
    Moxie Crimefighter
    Tu Morrow
    Jermajesty

A big pet peeve for me is telemarketers, especially the ones who prey on old people. And why do they always call at dinner time? And how are they getting my kids' cell phone numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;3085801;
    A big pet peeve for me is telemarketers, especially the ones who prey on old people. And why do they always call at dinner time? And how are they getting my kids' cell phone numbers.
    A big one for me this year is campaign donation solicitors. I had one call me up and ask "Can I tell you a little about so-and-so?" so I said "Sure" and he talked for a min and then asked me for money. I was beyond annoyed. If you want me to vote for your candidate, tell me about their platform but don't immediately turn it around into money grubbing!! If I am inspired enough by a candidate I will go online and contribute, but I will NOT donate in response to a phone call. To top it off, I appear to be on "the list" for BOTH major political parties so all of the candidates and their lobbying groups appear to be calling this year - must be the side effect of living in a swing state....

I have a FORT-related pet peeve. It's not targeted at anyone so please don't feel offended.

People not posting their quotes correctly. I really feel like there is no excuse for this - after posting you can easily see whether or not you quoted correctly and it just takes a couple of clicks to edit the post and add the last square bracket or adjust the code! Seeing incomplete quotes just hanging there irks me - the posts look sloppy. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks so?

What's more, this shouldn't even arise, really, seeing as you usually just add your response to the quote below without tampering with the actual quote.

No offense intended to anyone... I honestly, truly, sincerely don't get it.

ETA: To edit a post, just click on "EDIT" at the bottom, right-hand corner within 20 minutes of your posting. Make sure all the codes begin with [ and end with ] and the ending must have a slash like this [/code] -- where "code" can be "quote" or "B" for Bold, "U" for underline, etc.
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3084178;
    My peeve lately is related to the names I am seeing on kids lately. The two biggest ones are:

1) Naming a kid after alcohol - who thought of this!? I was watching a reality show a while back and one of the contestants was named Bourbon (I still hope that was a "screen name"). I got a phone call a few weeks ago and the name on the caller ID was Tequila!! I have seen others: Chardonnay, Hennessey, etc...

2) Getting "creative" (or kre8tive) with the spelling of a name. Case in point: SYTYCD right now features Kourtni and Kherington. There are certainly acceptable alternate spellings of many names, but some of the ones I see lately are just obviously over-the-top. My daughter is named Ariana and a few months after she was born I seriously saw a birth announcement in the paper with a similar name spelled Airriyannha. I don't know how teachers keep these spellings straight!!
    Those children are going to go through their whole lives correcting people.
    I have to do it myself and I don't even have an unusual name.
    The spelling of my name is Rebekah, but people invariably write Rebecca and think my parents came up with a wacky way of spelling my name, which they didn't.

I don't like the trend of calling girls in particular names that I consider to be surnames.
    I've never met anyone named after alcohol, but I'm sure it'll happen a some point
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3095887;
    The spelling of my name is Rebekah, but people invariably write Rebecca and think my parents came up with a wacky way of spelling my name, which they didn't.
    I have this problem, too. I love it when I send E-mails to professors and so forth, where my name, Collin, is clearly signed at the bottom. They almost invariably write back to "Colin," so they obviously haven't bothered to look or think I've misspelled my own name.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 07-02-2008 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast