I'm so ashamed that I actually know this one

The one and only Britney ~ Toxic

Take me to the place where you go
    Where nobody knows if it's night or day
    Please don't put your life in the hands
    Of a Rock n Roll band
    Who'll throw it all away

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    You are right too, Silverstar ! But I don't know yours... Next person come solve it !

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

Tommy used to work on the docks
    Union's been on strike
    He's down on his luck...it's tough, so tough
    Gina works the diner all day
    Working for her man, she brings home her pay
    For love - for love
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi

"You love her - but she loves him,
    and he loves somebody else
    you just can't win.
    And so it goes till the day you die,
    this thing they call love -
    it's gonna make you cry."
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    "You love her - but she loves him,
    and he loves somebody else
    you just can't win.
    And so it goes till the day you die,
    this thing they call love -
    it's gonna make you cry."
    "Love Stinks" by the J Geils Band

Asking Only Workman's Wages I Go Looking For A Job - But I Get No Offers
    Just a Come On From The Whores On 7th Avenue
    I Do Delare, There Were Times When I Was So Lonesome I Took Some Comfort There...

Sounds kind of working class, like Springsteen or John Cougar but nothing's coming to me. Any hints?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    Sounds kind of working class, like Springsteen or John Cougar but nothing's coming to me. Any hints?
    Song is from early 1970's. Group broke-up and didnt speak for many years. They recently reunited and are currently touring.

OK - I had to listen to my whole Simon and Garfunkle album before I came to it - The Boxer.

Hey - in one of the Gen. Discussion threads, you were berating today's female singers for acting like sluts, and then you give me a lyric with the word "whores" in it! :nono

Here's a quickie: "And the operator says '40 cents more for the next 3 minutes'".

FORT Fogey
    Hey - in one of the Gen. Discussion threads, you were berating today's female singers for acting like sluts, and then you give me a lyric with the word "whores" in it! :nono
    Interesting correlation you make there my friend.

Well...The best way to explain the difference between the two would be:

In the song "The Boxer" , Paul Simon is using the word "whore" to describe a very real life experience someone living on the poor side of town would likely experience walking down the street - specifically; being propositioned by a street prostitute.

Its also likely something that personally happened to Paul Simon -who grew up in New York City...heck, its happened to me growing up in Chicago...he could just as easily have said that he was approached by a drug dealer...or a homeless person looking for a hand out or any other type of encounter one might have on the city streets.

The song is a cold and true biting commentary on the life of a down and out club fighter, way past his prime and at a cross roads in his life. He laments to being propositioned by street whores and admits that, on occassion, he has in fact been with these prostitutes as a way to seek some temporary comfort from his miserable existence.

That is a heck of a lot different than a surgically enhanced pop-tart sexing herself up and dancing around 3/4 naked to sell dance-tune CD's.

Ah but its all good. That is the true beauty of music and critiqueing it and its creators. Its all relative. :-)
    Last edited by Daddio; 01-06-2004 at 04:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread