+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 227 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The TV Show game

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Name 10 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus point for naming the "shark" moment.

1. Happy Days (Fonzie jumped the shark (hey we had to have this one))
    2. The Brady Bunch (another old show almost as iconic as Happy Days for an exact moment where it became obvious the show was done for--the infamous introduction of "Cousin Oliver").
    3. Grey's Anatomy (when Meredith fell in the water and "died" recently, she must have jumped over a small shark in Seattle -- I haven't watched it since. This one could be debatable, Krom).
    4. Growing Pains (Birth of Chrissy)
    5. Mork & Mindy (Mork and Mindy--a "couple" which worked best because Mork didn't truly understand human sexuality--fall in love and get married. There was also specifically one terrible episode where Mork took Mindy to vacation on Planet Ork.)
    6. Married With Children (When Ted Ted McGinley -as with all shows hes 'joined'- Joined the Cast)
    7. 24 (24 had a lot of "almost jumping" moments over the years--starting as early as Kim and her stupid Mountain Lion, but the place where the show completely and permanently came off the rails forever was when they revealed that Jack's family was responsible for every bad thing which ever happened. Anywhere.)
    8. Cheers (Diane leaving)
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Name 10 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus point for naming the "shark" moment.

2. The Brady Bunch (another old show almost as iconic as Happy Days for an exact moment where it became obvious the show was done for--the infamous introduction of "Cousin Oliver").
    3. Grey's Anatomy (when Meredith fell in the water and "died" recently, she must have jumped over a small shark in Seattle -- I haven't watched it since. This one could be debatable, Krom).
    5. Mork & Mindy (Mork and Mindy--a "couple" which worked best because Mork didn't truly understand human sexuality--fall in love and get married. There was also specifically one terrible episode where Mork took Mindy to vacation on Planet Ork.)
    6. Married With Children (When Ted Ted McGinley -as with all shows hes 'joined'- Joined the Cast)
    7. 24 (24 had a lot of "almost jumping" moments over the years--starting as early as Kim and her stupid Mountain Lion, but the place where the show completely and permanently came off the rails forever was when they revealed that Jack's family was responsible for every bad thing which ever happened. Anywhere.)
    9. Laverne and Shirley (Moving to Cali)

((I liked a lot of the seasons after Shelly Long left on cheers, and the writing was strong enough to carry it with Kirstie. I found Diane a bit shrill and annoying most of the time anyways))
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

FORT Newbie
    what does "jump the shark" mean?

10. Will and Grace (Grace gets married and moves out, then back in, etc)

Now I liked Diane, and found anything after her trying too hard.. Robin was annoying.. Becca, was annoying, it wasn't the same for me.

Jumped the Shark is a term that pin-points at what time a show stopped being as good as it had been form the start.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

Quote Originally Posted by kcdancer211;2306419;
    what does "jump the shark" mean?
    kcdancer211!!!

Along with Firewoman's explanation, Jump the Shark has a very complete explanation here at Wikipedia. The term was born out of the series Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark while in water skis.

Jumping the shark can happen from many different plot issues: including character swaps, cast changes/character deaths and births, musical episodes, Live! episodes, moving to new locations, "A Very Special..." (Blossom), new hair cuts (Felicity), Inappropriate marriages, Ted McGinley factor, and a few others (18 categories total).

There is also an unofficial website that identifies the various series that have jumped sharks and allows voting.

Jumped the Shark is a term that pin-points at what time a show stopped being as good as it had been form the start.
    Less that its "not as good as the start", since that can happen pretty quickly on a show, but more than there's a point where a show stops being what DEFINED it. Its a point where things get too silly, or too cliched, or have too many or too important a cast or concept or setting change, or too predictable. The best most dramatic examples are those with a specific episode or moment in time where it becomes patently obvious to everyone watching that the show really shouldn't be on the air anymore. It was SO ridiculous when Fonzie jumped sharks on waterskis, that it illustrated for everyone how far the show had fallen. On the Brady Bunch, the introduction of Cousin Oliver was an obvious ploy to get back the original feel of the show, because even the youngest of the "regular" cast of kids was too old to be cute anymore (and it failed miserably because it came off as so desperate).

Realistically, the "jump the shark" moment for most shows is usually a bit less obvious though, and so there's debate.

This is such a great topic, I'd like to propose we extend to 20, since nobody has picked a new topic anyway.

Name 20 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus point for naming the "shark" moment.

11. ER (Doug Ross leaves. Everything after that was, in many ways, a rehash of the earlier years. Except for Shark Jump moment #2, when they needed a freaking helicopter to deal with Dr. Romano. Many might debate the show held out until that thing with Romano, but that did it in for those who put up with the post-Ross years otherwise)

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Name 20 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus point for naming the "shark" moment.

11. ER (Doug Ross leaves. Everything after that was, in many ways, a rehash of the earlier years. Except for Shark Jump moment #2, when they needed a freaking helicopter to deal with Dr. Romano. Many might debate the show held out until that thing with Romano, but that did it in for those who put up with the post-Ross years otherwise)
    12. News Radio (When Phil Hartman died.. it was a Sad, sad day in many ways, I loved him and loved this show.)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Name 20 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus
    point for mentioning the "shark" moment.

2. The Brady Bunch (another old show almost as iconic as Happy Days for an
    exact moment where it was obvious the show was done for--the infamous
    introduction of "cousin Oliver").
    3. Grey's Anatomy (when Meredith fell into the water and "died" recently, she
    must have jumped over a small shark in Seattle -- I haven't watched it since.
    This one could be debatable, Krom.)
    5. Mork & Mindy (Mork and Mindy--a "couple" which worked best because
    Mork didn't truly understand human sexuality--fall in love and get married.
    There was also specifically one terrible episode where Mork took Mindy to
    vacation on Planet ork).
    6. Married With Children (When Ted Ted McGinley -as with all shows hes
    'joined'- Joined the Cast)
    7. 24 (24 had a lot of "almost jumping" moments over the years--starting as
    early as Kim and her stupid Mountain Lion, but the place where the show
    completely and permanently came off the rails forever was when they
    revealed that Jack's family was responsible for every bad thing which ever
    happened. Anywhere. )
    9. Laverne and Shirley 9moving to Cali)
    11. ER (Doug Ross leaves. Everything after that was, in many ways, a rehash
    of the earlier years. Except for Shark Jump moment #2, when they needed a
    freaking helicopter to deal with Dr. Romano. Many might debate the show held
    out until that thing with Romano, but that did it in for those who put up with
    the post-Ross years otherwise)
    12. News Radio (When Phil Hartman died, it was a Sad, sad day in many
    ways, I loved him and loved this show.)
    13. Days of Our Lives - (the Salem Slasher, and the forcefield shielded doppleganger Salem that followed)

Name 20 TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus

vacation on Planet ork).
    happened. Anywhere. )
    9. Laverne and Shirley (moving to Cali)
    ways, I loved him and loved this show.)
    13. Days of Our Lives - (the Salem Slasher, and the forcefield shielded doppleganger Salem that followed)
    14. The Cosby Show (Pam, Claire's cousin, moves in)

Name 20 (()) TV Shows that debatably "jumped the shark" before ending. Bonus

vacation on Planet ork).
    happened. Anywhere. )
    9. Laverne and Shirley (moving to Cali)
    ways, I loved him and loved this show.)**
    14. The Cosby Show (Pam, Claire's cousin, moves in)
    15. Roseanne (Winning the lottery)

**I never saw NewRadio during its run, but ended up watching all of them in syndication and felt it was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Phil Hartman's death really sucked the life out of the show. Still, one of the greatest casts of any sitcom to this day.

+ Reply to Thread