+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Trivia

OMLB's use of "the Fett." Reminds me of the email that circulated when Phantom Menace opened: "Top Ten Things We Want to Hear Samuel L. Jackson Say in the New Star Wars Movie."

I believe that would be the Slave I...and once again, you've stolen my next question.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Sorry.

Still, it is your turn Phat....

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    Sorry.

Still, it is your turn Phat....
    No problem, OMLB.

Okay, here's a two-parter; only counts if both your answers are correct (the topic is interconnected):

During the evacuation of Echo Base (Station?) on Hoth, the Rebels ran how many transports off Hoth during the evacuation ? And secondly, what weapon covered the transports' evacuation as Vader's Star Destroyer armada hovered in orbit?

(And I'll go into why I had problems with that entire scene after the answers.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Pffft...another 'number of' question? You are a brave one Mr. Phat!

I don't know the answer to either, but I'll be interested to hear your deconstruction of the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLunchBreak
    I don't know the answer to either, but I'll be interested to hear your deconstruction of the scene.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess 6 transports. I think 2 got off flying individually, and then they were pressed for time, and tried sending 2 at a time, and they successfully made 2 launches with 2 transports. And they were all protected by the Ion Cannon, which wreaked havoc with any Imperial Star Destroyers in their paths.

Phat, deconstruct away!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess 6 transports. I think 2 got off flying individually, and then they were pressed for time, and tried sending 2 at a time, and they successfully made 2 launches with 2 transports. And they were all protected by the Ion Cannon, which wreaked havoc with any Imperial Star Destroyers in their paths.
    OnMyLunchBreak was correct: I should stop with the counting questions, especially when it comes to Hoth. +

You're right, mrdobolina, and, uh, I was wrong. I was thinking of the two that I remember seeing, but there were at least two and as many as 17, according to this site: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...attles-1c.html

Because of the thoughtful answer, even in response to a very poor question, I award the point to you, Mr.D.

Phat, deconstruct away!
    Simply put: Where did this ion cannon come from? And why in the hell wasn't it better utilized throughout the OT?

First of all, Hoth is such a hostile environment that vehicles with moving parts are frozen solid. The Snow Speeders had to defrost, like a pound of ground chuck on the kitchen counter. Let me reiterate that: they're called Snow Speeders, and they were frozen so badly, they couldn't get off the ground. That's a big bucket o' cold.

Let's forget the question of resources to construct a weapon like the ion cannon. Now, the rebels didn't look wealthy to me. Oh, sure, they could afford ransoms for princesses (like Leia), but they scrambled for every starfighter and capital ship they had. (Remember the small number of X-Wing that were available at the Battle of Yevin.)

The Rebels are broke as a joke...and yet they come up with the resources to build something that can take out a Star Destroyer? With one shot? I'll let that go--maybe the damn thing was donated--but I still don't understand how it arrived on Hoth. It was either (a) transported there (good luck with all that) or (b) built there, piece by piece. Neither makes sense to me, but that's neither here nor there.

Finally, why wasn't the Ion Cannon used again? The thing takes out Star Destroyers like a bad date. C'mon, people, do the Mon Calamari have to do all your thinking for you? Let's ramp up production, build a few more of these mofo's and start tear-assing around the galaxy, shooting any Star Destroyer that moves. The war would have been over in a week.

*takes deep breath* I need a cigarette. Excuse me.

Oh, next question to you, Dobs.

Well, they did have time to construct the power/shield generator on Hoth. And they did have some resources. Perhaps the Ion cannon was developed as a planet based weapon only?

Anyway, question time!

What is unique about Naboo's core? (The core of the planet, if that is unclear)
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

That was some phabulous deconstruction.

You know, I shouldn't be surprised Phat, as we met over Star Wars theory, but still, you crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    The Rebels are broke as a joke...and yet they come up with the resources to build something that can take out a Star Destroyer? With one shot? I'll let that go--maybe the damn thing was donated--but I still don't understand how it arrived on Hoth.
    Maybe the Mon Calamari donated it? That's why they let icky old fish face carry a stick and run a few things around the place?

I love the way your mind works!
    Last edited by OnMyLunchBreak; 06-07-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    What is unique about Naboo's core? (The core of the planet, if that is unclear)
    Was it made of water?

I seem to recall QG, OWK, and JJ traversing the core in an underwater craft. "There's always a bigger fish."

+ Reply to Thread