+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: What does your name mean? And other info-

I have always checked out what my first name meant over the years, because it doesn't always show up in the baby books, but here is what my nickname means.

Shelly: (although I dont spell it this way)

This girl's and boy's name is used in English. Its source is scylf leah, an Old English phrase meaning "Sloped meadow." (Huh?)

Nicknames of the name Shelley include: Shell. Alternate spellings of the name Shelley include: Sheli, Shelli, Shellie, Shelly. There are two other forms of Shelley. There are also teasing nicknames:

Shell Station - In reference to a gasoline fill-up station.

*Seashell

*Smelly

*Belly

*Shelley's belly is full of jelly

*Jelly

*Shelley Belly

*Jelly Belly

Okay, Im putting the FORT on alert, If anyone calls me "Smelly Belly", Its ON!
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

My name has always been a burden to me. I've hated it all my life. There's nothing really wrong with it, I've just never been happy with it, mostly because I wanted it to be spelled differently. I guess as I get older, I'm getting happier with it.

Name: Leslie

Alternate spellings of the name Leslie include: Leslea, Leslee, Lesleigh, Lesley, Lesli, Lesly

Meaning: [according to the babynamer.com website) a Gaelic phrase meaning "Holly garden." I have seen the meaning as "Of the Gray Fortress." Whatever the heck that means!!

Leslie was ranked 143rd of popular names for girls on the 1990 census.

Another interesting tidbit. The 60's model Twiggy's real name was Leslie Hornby. My mom was called Twiggy in high school. I always thought that's where she got my name. But no, my father named me after an ex-girlfriend of his. Nice, huh?

Teasing Nicknames:
    Lez-be-friends
    Lezbo (the most popular choice of mindless boys in school)
    Lez the Pez
    Lesbian (see Lezbo)
    Lesbi-ann
    Creslie
    Pesty old Leslie (my cousin Tyson's nickname for me)
    "Are you from the island of Lesbos?"
    Lesotho
    Leso
    Lettuce Leaves
    Nestle (yep, heard it! Usually in the form of, "Do you work for Nestle?"
    Lestoil
    Lezzy
    Less than a person
    Lester
    Lester the Molester (was called this one by a good family friend, mostly because I always dated guys younger than me. Stills calls me it to this day!)
    Les Nessman (WKRP in Cinncinati, he-he)
    More-lie
    More or less
    Less is more
    Lezby

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    Whne I click on the link it doesn't work for me.
    I was in love with a difficult man.

foolhardy comrade Moon Skin Child's Avatar
    Ah, it works.

Hilary
    This girl's and boy's name is used in English. Its source is Hilarius, a male Latin name meaning "Cheerful."

Alternate spellings of the name Hilary include: Hilaree, Hilarie, Hiliary, Hillary, Hillery, Hilliary, and three other alternate spellings. There are two other forms of Hilary. There are also teasing nicknames (see Drawbacks).

The name Hilary ranked 735th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.

Teasing Nicknames
    Hilly<-my art teacher called me this
    Hillbilly<-used to death
    Hi Lary<-never called this
    Hilarity<-once an RPG name of mine
    Hilary Cappilary<-never called this
    Celery<-my friend calls me this
    Sir Ed (reference to first climber of Mount Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary)<-never called this
    Mrs Clinton<-used to death
    Hills
    Hil-a-beans<-what?
    Hilary Dillory Dock (the mouse ran up the clock)
    ^my uncle calls me that
    I was in love with a difficult man.

Oh you'll love this:

Erik add this name to a list

This boy's name is used in German, Dutch, English, Czech, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish. Its source is ei rikr, an Old Norse phrase meaning "Complete ruler." Learn more about the heritage of this name.

Nicknames of the name Erik include: Ricky. Alternate spellings of the name Erik include: Eric, Erich. There are two other forms of Erik. There are also teasing nicknames (see Drawbacks).

Teasing Nicknames:

Airhead
    Ek
    Eureeeeeeka
    Edit
    Erik the Derek
    Earache
    America
    Erik the Red
    Err
    Earwig
    Air-ick
    Air dick

The name Erik ranked 231st in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.

Actually though, It gets more amusing.
    I have a twin sister you see, and my mom didn't know she was having twins. so she decided that the name would be either 'Erik' or 'Erika' depending on gender. When they had twins they were in a quandery. They figured if they used 'Erik' AND 'Erika' then they would have a problem when they wanted to call one of us: Either both would arrive, or neither of us. Answer: my mom was reading Robin Hood at the time. And thought the names were kewl. So she named my sister Robin Erika, and myself Erik Locksley (the thought is: if i became a doctor or a lawyer, I could call myself E. Locksley, or, (and for a while this was more likely) if i became a truck driver, I could call myself RIK).
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Rachael:

This girl's name is used in English. It is an alternate spelling of Rachel.

The name Rachael ranked 406th in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census

Rachel:

This girl's name is used in Hebrew, German, English, Italian, French and Polish. Its source is a Hebrew expression meaning "Ewe." Learn more about the heritage of this name.

Commentary:

In Jewish scripture, the patriarch Jacob was so taken by Rachel's beauty that he agreed to work seven years for the privilege of marrying her. Her father craftily substituted Rachel's older sister, Leah, at the wedding ceremony, but such was Jacob's love that he worked yet another seven years to add Rachel to his household.
    Rachel has always been a favored name among Jews. Starting with the 17th-century Puritans, it has been consistently popular among Christians as well. It has even spawned a French-sounding variation -- Rachelle -- that is unknown in France.
    (My mom called me Rachelle (hard french R, like Hrah, she was french)

Nicknames of the name Rachel include: Rae, Raea, Ray, Raye, Shelley, Shellie, and six other nicknames. Alternate spellings of the name Rachel include: Rachael, Rachal, Rachyl, Raychel, Raechel, Raechul, and one other alternate spelling. This name is the source form of: Lahela. There are 16 other forms of Rachel.

Teasing Nicknames:

Rach-Dawg

Rabies

Rachie-Poo

Rachellica

Rachie Joe

Rachelina

Rachel bon Vachel

Ratchet

Chelly

Archie

Rage-hell

Roach-el

Raunch-elle

Ratchell

Ray Kul

Rat-chel

Rodent

Roach

Row

Ratio

Rakel

Racket

Rache

Ray Ray

Radar

Rachel Toe-nachel

Rachy

Rachey-Roo

Rebok

I got Roach in junior high! Ugh! and husband calls me Ratchell

Every Todd I have ever met is a hotty. How appropriate that it means "fox".

Teasing Nicknames:

Toad

Toddler

Toddles

Toodles

Tatter Todd

Toddykins

Hot Toddy

Re-todd

Toddy Potty

Teeder Todder

Toddy Wad

Toddster

I have been called Toddles, Toddy Wad(dy), and Toddster... It's ok I guess.... but it's not the scarf around the neck swoosh haired prep everyone thinks about I guarantee ya

By the way, that quote was from the website... The hottie thing... I didnt just say that HAHA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678