+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293 LastLast

Thread: FORT Thanksgiving Dinner

Leo
    Premium Member
    Gah, I hate these timezones. I keep missing the good stuff.

And hey, chiro - glad to hear the thing went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    My mum always like to try out a new recipe each holiday, so we had this last Thanksgiving. It is for those who want to try a different sweet potato dish. It is most excellent.

Maple Sweet Potato-Apple Casserole

5 medium sweet potatoes
    3 to 4 large baking apples
    7 tablespoons real maple syrup (divided)
    ½ cup chopped pecans
    ¼ to ½ cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
    6 tablespoons butter, melted
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    3 tablespoons apple juice
    2 tablespoons cornstarch

Peel sweet potatoes and halve lengthwise; cut into ¼-inch slices. In large pot of boiling water over high heat, parboil sweet potato slices until bright orange and point of sharp knife easily pierces but does not break apart slices (4-5 minutes). Drain well.

While sweet potatoes are boiling, core and slice apples, then sauté in non-stick skillet in 2 tablespoons maple syrup over medium heat until softened but not mushy (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat.

Place sweet potatoes in an even layer in buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish, overlapping as needed. Top evenly with apples. Sprinkle pecans and Craisins over apples.

In 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together melted butter, remaining 5 tablespoons maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In small bowl, whisk together apple juice and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk into butter mixture. Pour evenly over sweet potato and apple mixture.

Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375 degrees until liquid is bubbly, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until liquid thickens to glaze potatoes and apples, about 15 minutes.

Variations: Substitute rum or bourbon for apple juice. Layer some drained, crushed pineapple or golden raisins with the sweet potatoes and apples (instead of the Craisins).

Mantenna, I just wanted to let you know I will be trying this recipe tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Well, I just wanted to pop in and say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I'm about to pack up my laptop to fly to Georgia, so I won't be on again until Friday, probably.

But I hope everyone has a safe, fun, and stuffed Thanksgiving! (or normal thursday, for all you Canadians and foreigners )
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Have a safe trip, Chiro! Expect to see you back and bartending next week.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Have fun chiro!

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Have a good one Chiro!
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Well, I'm outta here too; my kind (sometimes) boss has said I can go ahead and leave, so I'm off for a five-hour roadtrip to my mom's house. Or more, depending on traffic.
    Have a happy holiday, all (except the Canadians ) and I'll see you guys on Monday! (I guess someone will be starting a Christmas party thread?) Those of you who are also traveling, be safe!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just wanted to wish everyone a blessed Thanksgiving no matter what you are doing or where you are. Have a safe and enjoyable one. Eat and drink (unless you're driving ) to your heart's content.

If you are working, I feel for you but, maybe a good mood and holiday cheer from someone will reach you and make your day better!

I'm outta here for now. Have a great Turkey Day everyone!
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Bye Finally! Have a great Turkey Day!

+ Reply to Thread