+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Songs that remind you of specific things

I have no idea why, but Annie Lenox's "Walking On Broken Glass" always reminds me of driving up and down Greenville Ave. while I was at SMU.

Speaking of her, that "Why" song she has reminds me of my brother. He used to play that and U2's "One" over and over and over (and did I mention "over") again when he first got his CD player. I suspect he was going through some sort of lovelorn phase, but he never 'fessed up.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Prince's "Dirty Mind" album/CD and Tommy Tutone's "867-5309 (Jenny)" both remind me of my senior trip to Florida...

Well, "Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison will always be associated with my mom's death, mainly because they played it at the funeral service. It was her favorite song.

"1984" by Van Halen reminds me of rollerskating. When I was younger, I rollerskated 2 or 3 times a week, and they always played this song, and I hated it! Everyone would jump every time they said it...

Oddly, a friend of mine here at work thinks of her wedding when "Into The Mystic" comes on because that was "their" song.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

That IS strange, since Into the Mystic is such a sad song...

Princess
    Early '80:s Talking Heads and Steely Dan always remind me of my first apartment when I had just started College in a different town from where my parents lived. I rented a huge apartment 3:rd hand from a cousin of mine for $20 a month! (It didn't have hot water - and obviously no bathroom, just a toilet). Anyway, she had a tape recorder and a few tapes, among which I found tapes by these two groups, which later became 2 of my favourite bands. It was a very happy and exciting time - much fun!

Most other songs that remind me of anything seem to be connected with some sad love affair though, so I try to avoid those .

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Anything by Anita Baker reminds me of a weasel roomie I had in college that would listen to her over and over again.

Embarrassingly, "Somewhere Down the Road" by Barry Manilow reminds me of the first girl that broke my heart. I was convinced that we'd someday end up together.

There's a song on "Jock Rocks" that reminds of me going to see the San Jose Sharks. In fact, Paulie once called me with that music in the background and said "Okay, I'm skating out through the big sharkhead tunnel now." That still cracks me up.

I have a bunch of songs from my college years hanging out at a gay bar all the time that I just call my drag queen songs...Black Velvet and just about anything by Taylor Dayne or Anita Baker always takes me back to sitting on the floor around the dance floor watching the drag show on Sunday nights.

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel takes me back to two different men in my life, my first boyfriend (who I went to see Say Anything with for the first time) as well as my fiancee from my early 20's because we used to ice skate to it all the time together.

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode has mixed meanings to me because it was one of our favorite songs when I was in college so it takes me back to partying in my dorm room....it also takes me to the funeral of one of my friends that passed away from AIDS back in the early 90's since he had it played there.

Last one that always takes me on a trip is Come Undone by Duran Duran. Sadly it takes me to my husband because he deemed it to be a song for the two of us, but unfortunately it was taken by somebody else and myself years before that and that's truly where it takes me. I have a friend from college that for some reason we keep running into in the strangest times in our lives, we'll go years without talking and then catch up out of the blue when one needs the other the most and it all comes back to the song "who do you need? who do you love? when you come undone" and truly we always end up back together when all else is turned against us.

"when doves cry" techno version makes me think of a latino honey, a smoky bar and a million years ago.

"you're the inspiration" makes me think of christmas my 8th grade year.... sitting up late by myself in the living room. fire going, christmas tree lights twinkling. crying b/c my bf and i had broken up and that was our song. fear not. i got him back.

dan fogelberg's "old lang syne" reminds me of road trips with feif in my old camero. the stereo had a demon so we drove down the road singing that song.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast