+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: FORTcon 2

Twice a year?? I don't like you people that much
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

This is not something that John is likely to point out, so I just thought I would clarify that I don't believe that the problem is the event growing stale. Rather, it is the expense and frustrations inherent in planning such an event. The conference room and food did not come cheaply and though the registration fees helped, John largely shouldered the expense of it. There was also more to do on his end then just signing a contract and showing up. While I feel confident that he was content to do those things, I'm not so sure he'd be up for going through it several times a year. Of course, I could be completely off base, but that's the reality of these kinds of get-togethers.

I see your point Stargazer, it's not something that's simple to put together. You did a wonderful job organizing everything this month, and I wish I could have joined you guys
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    John did the same thing with this outfit.

This would have gone very well with his hat.
    They have this horror for sale at Big Lots for 19.99. I think the effect would be lost on John though. Cow legs that stopped right below his knees would not be attractive. The outfit is a "one size fits all" which I find to mean that it doesn't fit much of anybody. Cow udders for a belt buckle would be unusual too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    This is not something that John is likely to point out, so I just thought I would clarify that I don't believe that the problem is the event growing stale. Rather, it is the expense and frustrations inherent in planning such an event. The conference room and food did not come cheaply and though the registration fees helped, John largely shouldered the expense of it. There was also more to do on his end then just signing a contract and showing up. While I feel confident that he was content to do those things, I'm not so sure he'd be up for going through it several times a year. Of course, I could be completely off base, but that's the reality of these kinds of get-togethers.
    We should have a conference fee to cover those expenses. I think most people would pay and it shouldn't be up to John to cover the cost.
    Last edited by astrogirl_2100; 10-25-2004 at 03:54 PM.

We had a conference fee of $15 this time, but I'm afraid it didn't cover all of the expenses. John and the other powers-that-be wanted to keep the event financially accessible to everyone that wanted to attend while still helping to defray the cost. I don't mean to be speaking for John or anyone else, because he could have a whole different outlook on things. I mean, the money and time he put into FORTcon was obviously graciously given, but I'm not so sure he would care to do it several times a year.

not only is cost a factor but time is also. With work and kids and what ever other day to day obligations we all have it would be difficult to attend multiple Fortcons and attendance would drop off for sure.
    Too much of a good thing turns into a bad thing Everything in moderation - even FORT.

My suggestion is mini-cons. Throw out a suggestion and have a central meeting place.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    I vote for Montreal in '06... I think we should submit that to the IFC (International FORTcon Committee) Eva, clipse, jay and silver are all in favor I know... maybe some of us could head up the official bid?
    I'll second that!

Of course my arm could also be twisted to go to Boston. I'll have to give Vegas a pass though. Too far away, and too damn hot.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I completely agree. I have no idea idea how much John paid out of his *own* pocket, but I know it was PLENTY $$$. Thanks John.

And don't forget all the hours and hours of planning that went into this "one" event - at least six months from start to finish. A HUGE thank you to Star and the rest of the FORTcon committee that graciously gave so much of their time and energy into making FORTcon the best weekend I've ever had. EVER.

As for FORTcon 2, I don't care where it is -- I'll be there.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Of course my arm could also be twisted to go to Boston.
    While I'd love to have you folks come here (OK, not really, bunch of freaks) Phat is right, it's expensive. People probably wouldn't be able to do a whole lot without spending a ton of cash.

+ Reply to Thread