+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: FORTcon 2

Just came back from a conference in Vegas, and my comments -
    most of the people there would be just as happy to have it someplace else. Its very expensive (well, where we were), and just 'too much' to see in a couple days, and you wear yourself out trying to.
    I'm not looking forward to going back there again. I'd prefer something more mid-country and accessible to more people. Although, SF does sound intriging.
    But, again, if you want warmth in the fall period - Orlando could be fun.

I just really don't want to go to Vegas again.

I don't understand why everyone is saying Vegas is too expensive. I've never even spent $100 on a room on the Strip! There are plenty of decent on stip hotels in the $65-$100 range, you just cant go to Bellagio, Caesar's, etc.for that price. I've always thoght my money went a very long way in Vegas, if you know how things work there, and how to find the best deals.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    I don't understand why everyone is saying Vegas is too expensive. I've never even spent $100 on a room on the Strip! There are plenty of decent on stip hotels in the $65-$100 range, you just cant go to Bellagio, Caesar's, etc.for that price. I've always thoght my money went a very long way in Vegas, if you know how things work there, and how to find the best deals.
    Admittedly, I've never been one to spend much on hotel rooms, operating under the theory that I'm in them so seldom it's a waste of money to book a luxury suite. Las Vegas is a very inexpensive vacation unless you spend all your money on the gambling tables and slot machines.

Just from my experience with this past FORTcon, I think I've figured out a few things. First of all, people that really want to come don't care where we hold it and people that don't really want to come don't care if its in their backyard, they still aren't coming. We tried to hold it in a central location this year and some people flew halfway across the country to be there. Others that lived very, very close elected not to come at all. So, from what I've seen, the location should be chosen by the people that are certain to come no matter where its held.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie
    mr. gracie was discussing the next fortcon with his Friday morning drinking buddies and they suggested Baton Rouge, same gambling possibilities and open all night bars, but cheaper hotel rooms. Myself, I'm primed for Vegas, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. I guess he was more impressed with you guys than I thought since he has told everyone he knows we went to Chicago and met you all and had a great time.

Like John, I'm amazed he's telling people, Gracie. I was worried he might be bored, so I'm really glad to hear he had fun.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The guy who owns the produce company we buy from at the restaurant runs junkets to Vegas all the time. He got me a room at the Tropicana last year for $39 a night.

Quote Originally Posted by TAR4 ATCSteve
    Astrogirl dear, at the finale of each Amazing Race a very large contingent hosted by another website (TWoP) puts on a hell of a bash for the fans. The racers who are in town always go as well as quite a few alumni. It's a great party that celebrates all that is the race. Last one was almost 300 strong and was in the Madison Square Garden. Watch the other site for details, and yes, anyone can go as long as the PayPal for the fee, usually around $30 to $40. Did I mention open-bar?
    Steve, will you be my date? Because I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by mkwdood
    But, again, if you want warmth in the fall period - Orlando could be fun.
    Shhhhh keep those Orlando thoughts away Besides y'all wouldn't want to come and visit during the oh so lovely hurricane season....or heck, you just might and then I'd have something to do instead of just sit at home with no power Anyways, I'm just being a pain I'll be wherever the party is

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Just from my experience with this past FORTcon, I think I've figured out a few things. First of all, people that really want to come don't care where we hold it and people that don't really want to come don't care if its in their backyard, they still aren't coming. We tried to hold it in a central location this year and some people flew halfway across the country to be there. Others that lived very, very close elected not to come at all. So, from what I've seen, the location should be chosen by the people that are certain to come no matter where its held.
    That's an excellent point, Star.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    A big

+ Reply to Thread