+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Ten Most Common Things Overheard at FORTcon

We were all laughing about it and then the stories started about what our friends/relatives were saying. Some people didn't tell their friends/relatives the real reason for coming to Chicago.
    Your secret double life - obsessive FORT visitor.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    BTW, the daughter did ask how "those people" were. I told her we all got along so well we were starting a commune in Boise, Idaho.

Unk, I grew up in Boise. I hate to break it to you, but I can't think of a more commune-unfriendly place. May I recommend Ketchum? Or Eureka, CA?

Princess
    I appears that I missed out . Great to read the stories and see all the pics though!
    A few times I'd watch someone approach me and take a deep breath, and it was obvious they were trying to remember my name, but then they'd blurt "Hey, phat!"
    Phat, you are always cracking me up! I've got to ask you - did they say "Hey Fat!" or "Hey Pat"? If they did indeed say "Hey Fat!" - what was the look on people's faces around you?!

People were having a hard time remembering phat's name, and when I'd use his real one, people would look at me strangely. So I took to calling him "phat (insert real name)", which sounded like an insult, but really wasn't

Princess
    "phat (insert real name)",
    That's almost even worse! (Phat - you really should have thought about this when chosing screen name! )

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Some people didn't tell their friends/relatives the real reason for coming to Chicago.
    I'm almost afraid to ask what were some of the given reasons.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    My kids knew where I was going since lilleah4 was going to come with me and at the last minute couldn't. I told my mom I was going to a computer convention and she thought it some big trade show with computer hardware and software. She didn't find out what I was really doing until today. Her first response was "Weren't you afraid of who'd be there?" Of course I lied and said everyone was just like anyone else you'd meet somewhere, you know no ax murderers or anything. I don't think she quite believed me, especially since I told her I would be going to the next one, whenever that is. Some of the others got real creative.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    That's almost even worse! (Phat - you really should have thought about this when chosing screen name! )
    I'm comforted by the fact that I wasn't much better about names myself. So all the con attendees who used their real names as screen names were in luck; everyone else was hit or miss.

And maybe it's because I work in the computer engineering field, but my mind would run through an elaborate, Teminator-like process every time someone approached me, and I had to try and recall a name:

Subject acquired. Subject blood-alcohol level: .3 % Is subject addressing you? Y/N? Y Do you remember subject name? Y/N? N Recommend use alternate name. Y/N? Y

Male subject:

a. "my friend"
    b. "chief"
    c. "guy"
    d. "brother"
    e. "dude"

Female subject:

a. "sweetheart"
    b. "hon"
    c. "darlin'"
    d. "beautiful"
    e. "gal"
    Last edited by phat32; 10-23-2004 at 07:07 AM.

Phat, you're hilarious!! So that's what the little red glint in your eye was.

Princess
    @ Phat!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123