+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Saturday Recap

The Saturday Recap

Saturday morning, which I refer to as "hazy", started at 10am meeting in the conference room. When everyone finally straggled in by 11'ish, we'd decided to go to Navy Pier and then see what else to do from there.

We decided to stick together to NP, but then maybe break into small groups and do our own thing. Jewelsy and SFG decided to stick together at the hotel and hang out. Mr. SFG ("Snowman") and Mom SFG ("Snowmom") got a later start and tried to hook up with us but failed, after 4 phone calls. Sher and Mr. Sher, I have no idea...I think they slept in on the Heavenly Beds at the Westin.

As for the rest of us, we hiked a mile or so through a 30-mph guster in 30-ish degree weather wearing very thin jackets to the train station. We eventually figured out the ticket system, and hopped on the train into town. We literally took over a train car, and I think kind of freaked out the 3 or 4 people who dared join us. Funniest moment: Unk, letting go while standing in the aisle and saying "Look, no hands!" just as the train slammed on its brakes.

At the pier, we ended up all staying together (I think we were more "huddled for warmth"), and checking out the pier. We ate lunch, shopped, and bought tickets to the Haunted Ship for $8. Then, since we had to wait an hour to get in line for the ship, we found a bar and had a drink to fortify ourselves for the wait in line. Got in line, got our pic taken, got scared (funniest moment: when a "ghost" jumped out in front of Mrs. Blue Meanie, and she jumped on my back and screamed), froze our butts off, and then decided to leave.

Part 2 coming up...

So, we go to the trolley to get back to the train, and there's a line like 2 miles long. So we ask a CTA lady about buses (actually, it was the wonderful Mr. Spegs who thought of that). She tells us which bus to get on, but by the time we organize the group to get on, the bus has pulled away. So we ask again, get a new bus and stop, and go to get on that bus, and IT pulls away. But luckily another 66 bus pulled up, and we all got on where it was nice and WARM, and rode it to our train station. We took the train back out, and then walked back to the hotel (without the Spegs family, who had dinner reservations they were late to).

Squatman had just arrived, so I took him to the bar to get something to warm my bones while everyone else went back to their rooms for 2 hours to get ready for the "big thing".

8pm - The Big Thing

Okay, so it was just hors d'euvres and a cash bar. But it was fun. Steve and Dave from TAR4 arrived (thanks, guys!) and regaled the crowd with stories we didn't get to see from TAR, and answered unending questions about the behind the scenes of the show.

Around 11:30, we decided to adjourn to the hotel bar again, where there was music. Not good music, mind you, just music. People drank. People chatted. People had fun. No one, to my knowledge, snuck Mantenna a drink. And he probably wouldn't have drank it if they did.

After they kicked us out of the bar by force at 2:30, a few of us retired to Phat's room to continue chatting, and brought our tequila shots and beer up to the room with us.

At 4:45, we had finally had enough, and went to bed for 3 hours before getting up to have breakfast (well, except for Libs and Jewels, who I didn't hear from until about 2pm).

All in all, it was a great time. Everyone who attended was wonderful, and exactly like I expected them to be from their on-line posts. No one was arrested, no one was a psychopathic serial killer, and we didn't make any leading TV news stories that always begin "the family tells us they'd met on the internet..." And somewhere along the line, someone wore a cow-hat and someone else wore a lampshade.

FORT Fogey
    John, THANKS for the great recap of the weekend!

I love the new avatar 'cause my favorite av of your is the one of the baby in the Holstein cow outfit.

I'm so glad to have the AdMOOnistrator back!!!

FORT Fogey
    Great recap John. We have all been waiting anxiously to get a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Funniest moment: Unk, letting go while standing in the aisle and saying "Look, no hands!" just as the train slammed on its brakes.
    Oh, the visuals.

Thanks for the recap, John. I gotta go to the next one, it sounds like a blast.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    No one was arrested, no one was a psychopathic serial killer, and we didn't make any leading TV news stories that always begin "the family tells us they'd met on the internet..."
    Was Amanda not there? Seriously though, I didn't see her pic or a mention of her.

And somewhere along the line, someone wore a cow-hat and someone else wore a lampshade.
    Love it. Best picture ever. Thanks for the pics and recaps. Wish I had been there.

Amanda was there, but chose not to have her soul stolen by being in a picture.

Thanks for the recap John. Sounds like a great time had by all!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

LG.
    OMG, I almost forgot about Unk's "Look, no hands" then nearly falling on his face on the train. Of course it was funny because he DIDN'T really fall down and hurt himself. We're not THAT kind of group. I'll admit that I nearly knocked over Wolf trying to get away from some creepy guy in the Haunted Ship, and NO, it wasn't Paulie I was trying to get away from.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast