+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Debate: Is this the worst reality show ever?

Thinking they could repeat the magic of PH was the first mistake. PH working was a fluke--and likely an unrepeatable one. First of all, the stars aligned properly, and you had pretty clear "good guys" and "bad guys" (okay, half the "good" guys were "pathetic" more than "good", but still... there was a clear contrast and sides). Secondly, Dave--while much more on the "pathetic" track than "good"--gave a clear point of identification for some people, as much as we'd like to deny it.

Also, the twists on PH, while occasionally arbitrary, did not remove all sense of control from the players. And producer manipulation, while quite clearly displayed by things like the order people have to pick roomates in, was at least not reduced to cliched clever little reversals on a dime.

PH also didn't create this weird girls vs. guys thing that this show seems to have arrived at. Sure the women and men occasionally had to designate members of the opposite sex for something, but the alliances were more important.

Another thing... and this is almost hard to admit... is that the pure famewhorism of PH--the weird vibe of "we are just here to party and be on camera" was less real than the obvious monetary goals of Eden, but that's actually turned out unexpectedly to be a good thing, not a bad one. The people in PH were just horrible, shallow pathetic people with very little connection to real humanity, whereas the more realistic monetary goals of the Eden people kind of brings them closer to us in a way that hurts more than it helps. Sure, we had "Dave" to root us in some weird disgusting way on PH, but the show also flew off into fantasy-land. These people were cartoons, and thus fun to watch. Eden seems more like an obvious game, despite the absense of intelligent strategy I've already mentioned. It seems crass, instead of simply outrageous.

Of course there's more than the mere failure of repeating PH which made this show so horrible. But that will do for now. It was almost painful to watch, because it seemed so DESPERATE.

Although this show isn't great soo far, it has only had two eposides. I can't think of any reality TV show that I loved after 2 hours. The show is still trying to establish characters and its own goals. I think that everyone had such high expections after Paradise Hotel, but I remember not loving PH until a few weeks into it. At the begining I didn't even like the show, and only watched it when I was bored (which happened a lot on Monday nights). I imagine if everyone went into Paradise Hotel with high expections, then the same conversion might have occured. I think everyone should just chill out, and wait a few weeks before completely dissing the show!
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

Oh its true that many of the most interesting parts of PH didn't come along until later, but they balanced that out somewhat with some attempt at character building and in retrospect (although it seems shocking to admit it) restraint. A lot of the problem of PH at the beginning was "what is the point of this", and while I can jokingly ask that of Eden as well, in a way they HAVE made the point clear--it's about money and surviving the next wacky twist. PH turned out to be more about relationships, and even if they were offensive and manipulated ones, it made for good TV. That's why the reaction of many that the problem with Eden is that it's boring doesn't wash completely with me. I agree that PH was boring too at first. The problem with Eden is more that it's stupid, derivative, arbitrary, badly produced and trying too hard to be clever.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Personally, this show is almost beyond salvagable for me

Well, y'know what that means. In a week, I'll be hooked

When the inevitable question... "why are you still watching" is asked...

It really is funny how you can sit down to ONE show and want to watch it because it engages you and then watch another one, like this, where the fun is more like a Mystery-Science Theater or Rocky Horror Show thing. It's almost painful to watch this, but I found myself laughing uproarously (no doubt at ALL of the wrong moments).

That said, as I've said elsewhere, it's likely to get very little of my attention. I flip a lot on Mondays anyway, and on Tuesdays it's hardly worth it if "24" isn't on. So I may catch painful glimpses of this, and warm my heart knowing that I'm laughing AT it. As I said before, I wasn't quite as caught by the "boredom" angle as others because I was too busy taking a more perverse kind of enjoyment from the huge sucking sound it was producing.

I'm not too worried about being hooked. An old rerun of "Quincy" on one of the spanish language channels would likely draw my attention away!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Oh its true that many of the most interesting parts of PH didn't come along until later, but they balanced that out somewhat with some attempt at character building and in retrospect (although it seems shocking to admit it) restraint. A lot of the problem of PH at the beginning was "what is the point of this", and while I can jokingly ask that of Eden as well, in a way they HAVE made the point clear--it's about money and surviving the next wacky twist. PH turned out to be more about relationships, and even if they were offensive and manipulated ones, it made for good TV. That's why the reaction of many that the problem with Eden is that it's boring doesn't wash completely with me. I agree that PH was boring too at first. The problem with Eden is more that it's stupid, derivative, arbitrary, badly produced and trying too hard to be clever.
    I agree with most of your points, but I still think that if we went into Paradise Hotel with high expections then it would have sucked. The only way you can like a show like this is to have low expections going it. Then when it sucks (like Mr. Personality) you don't care, but when it is good (Paradise Hotel) you cheer and are happy!
    Reality TV

Oh, but I did have low expectations going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Oh, but I did have low expectations going into it.
    Personally I was hoping for deliciously entertaining trash.... So far it is just trash, but I am optimistic!
    Reality TV

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    I'm starting to wonder if they toyed with the idea of calling this Paradise Hotel 2 and then saw how bad/boring it was. This way Forever Eden can fade into oblivion and we will still have the option of possibly seeing a Paradise Hotel 2 this summer.
    "Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru

I agree with everyone that the show has only been on twice and we should give it a little more time, but it's so twisty. It almost has too many twists and gets rather hard to follow..... I'll probably need to tape it so I can rewind it again and again just to follow what's going on! Just my opinion though!

+ Reply to Thread