+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Show Cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    So.. now we know that they're going to be voting off the most undesirable... shouldn't be a surprise to ANYONE who gets voted off later...so I don't see it being cruel. They CAN leave. They aren't in a holding cell for us to watch. ALL of them knew what they were getting into when they signed up...and I can assure you that they are ALL familiar with Paradise Hotel. By the way they were acting...come on, they were HOPING for a good ole trashy PHo castoff. They got it. And I'll watch it!!
    Wow, you are being rather naive here assuming that FOX is going to stay with voting off the undesirable person. Actually, the undesirable Mary recieved the apple, and gets to choose which man gets voted off. Maybe she also has to leave, maybe not. Also, next week, they could give the apple to the desirable one. Or they may win it in a contest. Who knows!!! Fox is strange. I think the "cruel" aspect of this show is the fact that the men had to tell Mary why the voted for her, instead of making her wait until she watched the show to find out.

I have to agree with you about fox's casting though. I think they were looking for a Paradise Hotel II, with Beaver teeth as Zach and Mary as Charla. Don't think it is going to work out as they wanted it too though!!!
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

Well said, Maveno!!

That's a big catch with just about all reality shows....cruelty to the players...the contestants. Why do people watch "Fear Factor"?? Not for the competition, but to see how far idiots will go to get their 15 minutes.

These people all saw P Ho, and knew there were going to be things that they had to do...stab people in the back, scheme, form alliances, break alliances, etc, etc. This is billed as the first "Reality Soap Opera"...and just think of all the crazy things that happen in just one episode of "Melrose Place" or "General Hospital".

Personally, I see this as comedy as much as it is drama. Let's play with the hamsters!!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by croftchrism
    Wow, you are being rather naive here assuming that FOX is going to stay with voting off the undesirable person.
    Believe me..I'm SOOOoooo not naive about this show. Believe me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Believe me..I'm SOOOoooo not naive about this show. Believe me.
    Just checking!
    Reality TV

1. America's Top Model: Eva
    2. The Apprentice: Andy
    3. Survivor: Julie

I have no desire to see this show. On another show they showed clips of this girl saying something about black people and asking (a guy?) how his toes got so dark. Was she really for real? Please tell me no. Well, that's what happens when you are raised in a cave.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Threshold
    I think this ever increasing "cruelty angle" is really ruining reality tv...
    Agreed.

My SO was home last night (he's away with his job a lot) and I convinced him to sit down to watch Forever Eden with me. What a mistake! It was horrible. I can understand it if the "cruelty" is part of the nature of the beast (ie not everyone can wind up with the last rose) but to be cruel just for the hell of it? I watch reality-tv to escape from the nastiness of life, not to get a front row seat for it.

I thought it was very cruel for Mary to have to listen to why everyone found her the least desireable.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I thought it was very cruel for Mary to have to listen to why everyone found her the least desireable.
    Okay, more cruel than some poor ass being led on by a model? More cruel than Big Brother? On Last Comic Standing they didn't have to tell who or why they voted for that person but heck, they just told! Puh-leese. She was the least desirable to hang around the island. I think its an interesting strategy to have to say who you voted for and why - but - as my dh said - do they have to tell the truth? I don't think so. And its an good opportunity to try and see where/how the alliances are going.
    But all said - don't think its crueler than anything else. And people on these shows are always saying "Just tell me to my face!" well, be careful what you wish for, in the immortal commercial for FE

I don't like that they call the person voted out "Most Undesirable" I mean really.

I also felt so bad for Mary when the guys had to say who they voted out. I mean, that must have been a stab in the chest for everytime one of those guys said her names. Talk about crushing self esteem. And then say why? At that point I felt embarrassed for the guys...

I'll probably watch though. Not sure if I will lose interest halfway though like I did with Paradise Hotel.

The real question should be "Is This Show Stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast