+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

FORT Fan

Re: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

I watch a lot of Food Network and I will not watch a show with Rodney on it. His voice is super annoying while his grammar and diction are pretty much nonexistent.

FORT Regular

I don't get the love for Rodney by the FN folks as well as much of the public. If I heard him call Guy or the Grilled Cheese sandwich guy "brother" one more time, I was going to punch my TV. Then his insistence on calling his food "sucker" (put that sucker in the oven, taste that sucker.......) also got on my last nerve. But ultimately, hearing him say "Pie style" anymore made him seem like someone on Saturday Night Live spoofing his show. I would never watch Rodney's show and will be very disappointed if he wins. I'm really not loving any of the finalists, but just can't stand Rodney and Pie Style.
    Kip likes this.

Out of the three, I would find Eat Date Love the funniest and most entertaining. I can see laughing at it la Sharknado (okay, maybe not that bad -- but still with some comedy potential) -- and picking up some recipe ideas (like the apple-butter mustard) here and there.
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Out of the three, I would find Eat Date Love the funniest and most entertaining. I can see laughing at it la Sharknado (okay, maybe not that bad -- but still with some comedy potential) -- and picking up some recipe ideas (like the apple-butter mustard) here and there.
    Ohh my, I just watched Sharknado over the weekend and it was dreadful, just like that piestyle show would be.
    Ellen, libgirl2 and PA Snow Bunny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Can't stand "Pah Stahl" -- clone of the ber-annoying, self-important Fieri.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    Agreed.
    And I SO wanted Guy to win that first season! But then again, I thought for sure someone SOMEWHERE would've pulled all that gold-nugget jewelry off, taken away his Red Bull, and just toned down him and appearance.
    Nope. Instead they AMPED it --and him-- UP. Those backwards sunglasses and over-the-top everything else is old, wearisome, and unappetizing.
    Ellen likes this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

FORT Fogey

After watching all the seasons of Food Network Star, I'm starting to wonder why I bother, except that occasionally I enjoy some recipe or idea that shows up in an episode, since it's becoming abundantly clear that the network--or at least the judges--have some very specific requirements for the contestants that have nothing to do with cooking and everything to do with gender. The women are expected to be bubbly or chirpy or happy talk in some way, while the guys must be as "butch" as possible. Hence, Russell and Rodney make the finals, despite frequently not making the best food, because their style screams, "Hey, we're so macho it hurts! 'Real' men cook!" Demaris, by contrast, is the cute, blonde Southern girl, who doesn't come off too polished or accomplished but more like the girl next door with a recipe or two. God forbid the female equivalent of an Alton Brown shows up, because she'll be told she's too rehearsed or too distant or not connecting enough with the audience. Likewise, if you're a guy, you better not read "too gay."

The whole thing bugs me, because I want someone who really knows what they're doing and is really passionate about it. I don't care so much about the personal style of the delivery. And what's truly dumb is that not all of the FN's actual stars have or have had the exact same styles, but Food Network Stars makes it seem like they want a particular brand for their male and female hosts in the future, which turns me off.

Personally, I like the way Ted Allen hosts Chopped, which is a show I really like, because it combines competition with coming up with inventive recipes on the fly--and I don't have to watch a whole season of it. I can watch an episode here or there as it fits into my schedule. Anyway, what I like about Ted is that he clearly knows his stuff, and he does a good job of deferring to the judges and the contestants without seeming like he's condescending to or glad-handing anyone, which is what his job as host of that particular show should involve. He comes off as smart and professional but not humorless, which is all I really want. Beyond that, I don't care so much what someone's "style" is.

Oh, and I agree that Rodney's speech habits drive me nuts. I also just don't see why I should care whether a particular dish can be turned into a pie or not. I don't want everything I eat to be a pie. I like pie, but I like variety. His concept is just so narrow, and his diction is so bad that he's sometimes hard to understand.

FORT Newbie

I think they messed up sending Stacey home. I liked her the best from the beginning. I will not watch Rodney or Russell, maybe Demaris, but not promising anything.
    Ellen and Florimel like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shalayla View Post
    I think they messed up sending Stacey home. I liked her the best from the beginning. I will not watch Rodney or Russell, maybe Demaris, but not promising anything.
    I would have preferred Stacy too, though I also thought Nikki had an interesting concept--the meat on the side thing. I would consider watching perhaps an episode of Demaris' show, just to see what it was like, but I don't need more "sinful" recipes, and I absolutely could not sit through a half an hour of Rodney's inability to say anything clearly. Besides, I just don't care how many foods can be turned into a pie. Or can't be. I don't see the continuing charm of that concept--and I do like both sweet and savory pies. Just not enough to want to hear about them thirty minutes a week for weeks on end.
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

I wasn't a fan of Stacy myself. I wasn't connecting with her at all. I thought they missed the boat completely with Nikki though. I would have loved to watch a show that focuses more on vegetables. A healthy cooking show would have been right up my alley.
    Ellen and tinderbox like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Newbie

for libgirl2, in case you don't have it already...

It sure does sound good...

Apple Mustard Butter:
    1 pound peeled and cored apples, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, or 12 ounces unsweetened applesauce
    4 ounces light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon whole grain mustard

Sweet Potato Biscuits with Peppered Pork Loin, Apple Mustard Butter and Salad Recipe : Damaris Phillips : Recipes : Food Network
    Ellen and Florimel like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast