+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    While I didn't much care for the promo, I thought that Corn Mac & Cheese was bangin!

Then again, I am a midwestern Lutheran, and we love our creamy casserole carbs.
    I should have said I am going to make the corn mac and cheese!! It does look yummy for a cold winters day.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Still do not see what the judges see in Marti. Every time she says Marti's party, in my head I hear Arties Pary. In the future will every person that has an "e" sound at the end of their name add party to their name to get to the end. I just don't see it with her. Maybe she would be good at running a catering business and running parties. But I don't see tuning in to how she runs parties. Did anyone notice the melon ships she had behind her during one of the scenes? Come on now, maybe for a kid party, but not for the type of party she was supposedly throwing in the promo. The shrimp meal she made, maybe for a backyard barbecue, where people don't care about getting their hands dirty, but not the type of show, she was showing.

My only complaint with Yvan's promo was his brother. No problem with having the family helping and being on the show, but the brother needs to comment less. A little to much grunting type comments for my taste. It actually distracted from what Yvan was saying.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

Alton almost fainting? Alton crying? Justin and Marti Bff? All sorts of reveals on this episode, with the most interesting coming from Alton's team.

A show from Michelle would be fun because she would probably take us out on a lobster boat, or to clam shacks. I've never been off the west coast so I'm intrigued by anything New England. A show from Justin would also be a blast, but from an intellectual perspective. He won't be the history teacher Alton is, but he will show how recipes can be changed up for the skateboard generation. Plus he's cool.

I voted for Justin.

Voting is open today and during the day tomorrow.
    Allie and cubsfan55 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Too late to edit...but...Justin made this non-cook think about how he put the Caesar Salad together.

I think that instead of charring the lettuce, he could have wilted it and then for crunch, smashed the croutons into a crumble. The charred lettuce was the unattractive part of the plate, though I think he did it for a crunchy feel in the mouth. I still think turning the dressing into an aspic was very inventive.
    Allie likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I will be really surprised to see anyone other than Justin win. He's been the golden boy from the get-go.

I don't really care for Michelle, who reminds me of the love child Guy and Anne produced (and I don't really care for either of them). I get a headache listening to Martie - my brain is in overdrive trying to decipher what she said. I know she's speaking English (my native tongue) and it isn't the Southern accent that throws me off (I live well south of the Mason-Dixon). Rather, it's the speed at which she speaks. I know she likes to talk (and talk and talk) but it's just too rapid-fire for me. I get tired and give up.

Although I did not like him in the beginning (I still remember the 'egg incident' with rock star Josh), I think my favorite is Yvan.

Do I really need to watch another cooking show? No, I don't. The chances that I will tune in for any of them is slim.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I will be really surprised to see anyone other than Justin win. He's been the golden boy from the get-go.
    I know! But I have a hard time getting over his ruby red lips!

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I should have said I am going to make the corn mac and cheese!! It does look yummy for a cold winters day.
    I'm with ya'll on the corn mac and cheese! The recipe is up on the Food Network web page. Here's the recipe for those that want to make it. I am going to make it that's for sure lol!

Ingredients

Two 8-ounce cans creamed corn
    1 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder, optional
    1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
    Pinch ground nutmeg
    Salt and ground black pepper
    3 dashes hot sauce, optional, plus more for serving
    2 cups elbow macaroni
    8 ounces grated mild yellow Cheddar
    12 ounces grated mozzarella
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 cup croutons
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Move one rack to the top of the oven.

In a saucepan, simmer the corn with the milk and onion powder, if using, for 5 minutes.

Combine the cornstarch with about 2 tablespoons water and stir well. Add the cornstarch to the corn mixture and whisk over medium heat for 3 minutes. Season the corn cream with a little nutmeg, salt, pepper and hot sauce if using. Remove from the heat, cover and keep warm.

Boil the elbow macaroni in full rolling salted water for 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the macaroni well and add to the corn cream. Add the Cheddar, half of the mozzarella and the egg. Stir well. Pour into a 4-cup casserole dish or 12-inch cast-iron skillet and top with the remaining mozzarella.

In a zip-top plastic bag, lightly crush the croutons using a small mallet or rolling pin. Stir together the oil and crushed croutons and spread over the top of the macaroni and corn mixture. Cook on the top rack until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with hot sauce.

The only changes I plan to make is to use actual onion instead of onion powder, use panko instead of croutons for the top, and to omit the hot sauce cuz my son and I are not fans lol.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I know! But I have a hard time getting over his ruby red lips!
    I agree! So very distracting. I've heard it's his natural coloring but lordy, it's all I keep looking at.
    I loved Alton's idea of having Justin do a sort of spoof of Alton's show....it was done very well and Justin was perfect.
    I still stand by my prediction that it's either Michelle or Justin as the final two....not for their cooking skills because I think they're all pretty comparable and competent. But those two offer something unique in personality.
    Ippy certainly was much better than ever before but he still hasn't been able to allow the real Ippy to come thru on camera.
    Hooray that the Grill Next Door is gone.
    And thank you, Evan, for giving me the idea of throwing in some mozzarella into my Mac & Cheese for that stringy, ooey-gooey component. Who doesn't love that?

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I'm with ya'll on the corn mac and cheese! The recipe is up on the Food Network web page. Here's the recipe for those that want to make it. I am going to make it that's for sure lol!
    Thanks! I can't wait to make this on a cold fall or winters evening. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

I don't really care for Michelle, who reminds me of the love child Guy and Anne produced (and I don't really care for either of them). I get a headache listening to Martie - my brain is in overdrive trying to decipher what she said. I know she's speaking English (my native tongue) and it isn't the Southern accent that throws me off (I live well south of the Mason-Dixon). Rather, it's the speed at which she speaks. I know she likes to talk (and talk and talk) but it's just too rapid-fire for me. I get tired and give up.
    That's it! Now I get what it is about Michelle that I find annoying. I would not watch her show.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast