+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 6/14 FNS 11 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

6/14 FNS 11 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

"Savory Baking" - The chefs must adapt: making a dish from leftovers, then a savory dish inspired by a dessert.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 6/14 FNS 11 Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Ugh! Enough of 'hashtag'. What a ding-dong.
    Ellen and libgirl2 like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

In short - Matthew shot himself in the foot, and Sita should be VERY happy he did so.

I'm no fan of Giada at times, but I was glad she was allowed to change her mind because Matthew would NOT be a show people would want to see. That little smirk he did with Sita's near elimination cost him.

If I were to quibble about Giada here though - and well even Bobby - is that neither said to Matthew when he made that "I'll be famous anyway/my food is great" is one of them say to him "No you won't - you were going to be given another chance but you came in here for this elimination an arrogant, thinking he is untouchable, fool. No one is going to want to watch a show where you act superior to them, and that is why you're out."

Then again, he shot himself in the foot cooking something that was a convoluted mess. Didn't read as appetizing to me.

Come to think about it - Oscar the Grouch may have had a blue cheese ice cream as one of his flavors in the ice cream stand he created many years ago on "Sesame Street." (I remember the pickles and spaghetti and meatball flavored ones).

Eddie and Arnold continue to impress - maybe not the smaller challenges at times but the larger ones. I will admit BOTH of their foods looked good and interesting. Eddie's presentation in the larger challenge was far better than his "cheat day" idea. I think he needs to balance the cheat day ideas with nostalgia and ways to make food fun - including backfire pranks. Arnold's meatloaf cupcake looked great too.

The others were meh to me and a bit unappetizing.

Really right now I think it's Eddie, Arnold and a couple of others' to lose.

Emilia What an idiot!

Last week, harissa was the traditional Moroccan seasoning. WRONG!!!
    This week, she claimed it as a traditional Libyan seasoning. WRONG AGAIN!!!

What's next? You're gonna use harissa in a dish next week and label it "Ethiopian" or "Eritrean"?

Honey, if you're gonna declare yourself a culinary instructor with a specialty in north African cuisine, get your countries and cultures straight.

Harissa is TUNISIAN!
    FireWoman likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

BTW: I like Rue (the woman from Zimbabwe). She has a pleasant personality. Her voice tends toward stridency, but that can easily be corrected with a little coaching. I would totally want to cook her food. Though I wonder if she's gonna introduce grasshopper as a pizza topping. (A Canadian friend of mine who's lived in Zimbabwe for decades swears by it. Me? Ick! But I've yet to try it ... so cannot judge ... )

I'd watch the football guy, too. If he did a show called ... I dunno ... Shirtless Hunk in the Kitchen.
    Wasn't he on Master Chef?

Summertime Living Easy Arielflies's Avatar

#Bye-Bye

Annoying Twit
    Ellen and taracran like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm so glad that they didn't decide to keep #Matthew for his #drama #villain "energy."
    Buh-bye, Hashtag Hipster! Don't let the door hit you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I'd watch the football guy, too. If he did a show called ... I dunno ... Shirtless Hunk in the Kitchen.
    Wasn't he on Master Chef?
    Eddie was indeed on Masterchef. He finished in eighth place, and racked up a few wins in the process.

Doesn't bother me one bit though he's on this show, because it's not uncommon for the Food Network to have contestants who appeared on other networks in food competitions.

Case in point - you had Richard Blais, who competed on "Top Chef" (runner-up in a tough season) and "Top Chef redemption" (well the second contest which he won that time). Not only is he now a regular judge on "Guy's Grocery Games" he also has competed to be the "Next Iron Chef."

Fortunately like Richard - Eddie is personable and likable (though I admit Richard can sometimes get annoying).

Oh, I also read Matthew's interview on Food Network's website. Let's just say that he's playing "whitewash" or a less polite term covering up his errors and what his attitude was.

#Matthew, #doesnotunderstand, #thehastag, #isinternet, #nottelevision

(and note, I obviously hate and don't understand the hashtag nonsense, hence the bad chops here. )

I mean - yes, it's a competition (he excused his behavior being competitive), but you can be competitive and classy, even toward your contestants. His attitude was not competitive, it was arrogant, cocky and belligerent. And a retrospect of "I should've been simpler in my menu" is a bit off-putting - even I could figure out in the heat of competition that pulling in three different concepts to create a tart (ice cream, the tart and that sauce) was too much.

You noticed after all the ones that had the top/higher scores were relatively simple to make/in flavor in comparison to the ones in the bottom.

While I have a feeling Alton is extremely busy with his other shows... I wish he had been here this ONE episode so he could've put Matthew in his place.

I could very easily see him do such a thing - because while he plays smarmy and conniving in "CK" he is very serious when it comes to the network itself. It's even more telling when he actually turned down the Chairman role in "Iron Chef" and became commentator because he felt he wasn't right for the role (and I think this was even knowing they weren't going to dress the chairman in flamboyant outfits like the original Japanese version).
    Ellen likes this.

Glad Matthew is gone. Won't have to see his arrogant smirk again.

While Dom was a bit better in the second challenge this week, I really don't think he has what it takes. There always seem to be contestants who don't like cameras or are very uncomfortable being filmed. This is not the show for him.

Alex (I think, having trouble remembering all the names) is pretty good, but his sandwich POV isn't gonna cut it, since there's already someone on FN (who won this show a few seasons ago) that has a sandwich POV. Eddie is also decent, but he just seems to make whatever and then calls his show "cheat day" which doesn't really make sense for some of his food.
    NFL1 likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

I won't miss ADHD Matthew. At all. Jerk!
    (Disclaimer: I've worked with ADHD students. They were so much NOT JERKS like oh-so-entitled a**h*** Matthew. Good riddance to him!)

Dom was sweet ... especially once he found his "voice" ... give him a little time...
    Fun season so far!
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-15-2015 at 05:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast