+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

"Network Pitch" - The final four pitch their shows to Bob and Susie, to see which three will be made into pilots.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

what the heck was up with that final 3? I wasn't able to watch it until the end.... someone was there who shouldn't be there!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    what the heck was up with that final 3? I wasn't able to watch it until the end.... someone was there who shouldn't be there!
    Do tell! Shark Week trumped FNS this week.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I think they got it right -- Stacy was all personality and no concept. She may still pop up somewhere anyway, she doesn't seem like the type who gives up easily.

Let's face it, we knew that the mentors have a soft spot for Rodney, and that he was going to make the finals. And to read their website, the Food Network fans may very well vote him the winner no matter what they thought of his pilot.

I liked Damaris' concept, but she's still too scattered on camera. She's going to need some serious mentoring if she wins. But her idea is unique, and it would fit into FN's schedule (it might do better on Bravo, but that won't happen). As opposed to most of the other winners' shows, which rarely make it past Sunday mornings on the Cooking Channel.

Rodney's concept is an improvement on what he probably initially envisioned. The pilot was okay, but I would hope that the actual shows would have a little more tension and suspense to them -- I would hope that he sometimes fails to win the chef over, as opposed to everything going so smoothly each time like in the pilot. I see it lasting a few seasons before he branches out into another concept.

Russell is fun to watch, but he still needs a lot of polish. And while his concept is interesting, I don't know that it's as adventurous as he thinks it is. I liked the visual translation of the 7 deadly food sins in the briefcase in the pilot, that was a nice touch. But I think his idea needs tweaking for it to translate into a long-term show. I think he would night better suited to a Bourdain-style cuisine/travelogue show, only where he cooks with the guests he visits.

They all need more polish, and this hasn't been the best season for FNS. But at this point I'd be okay with any one of them winning. In the end, with the track record of previous winners who aren't Guy Fieri, it probably won't matter much either way.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 08-05-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    sparklete likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I talked to friends of mine from Maryland, and they *love* Rodney. One has even met him...says he's awesome and his pies are great.

I told her it would have been nice to see that on the show ;-)
    Kip likes this.

I. Can't. Stand. Pie Man.

Sorry, Pie Style is not sweepin' the nation. He comes off like such a poser.
    Even that abbreviated version of his pilot drove me up a wall. I don't "get" what people are seeing in this guy; I don't find him charming, or exciting. I would never watch his show.

Russel's pilot was way better than I expected based upon his last few challenges. He didn't do that choppy sentence type way of talking, his deliviery was much smoother and it all flowed better. I laughed when they showed the 7 deadly sins in his briefcase .

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    I. Can't. Stand. Pie Man.

Sorry, Pie Style is not sweepin' the nation. He comes off like such a poser.
    That's because he IS a poser.
    Ellen and Shoepie like this.

Can't help notice the Pie Man's 'package'! ...but he is a charming guy and of the 3 pilots, I'd want to see his. I voted for Rodney because his pilot is the most interesting of the three. Giada and Alton love him and that's why he made it this far. I know some people are baffled that he's still on the show and should have gone home last week but he may actually win it.

A Teacher's View: Next Food Network Star DISASTER - Nikki Goes Home???
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.

I guess I can stop watching now. Stacey's is the only pilot that would have interested me.

I like Damaris, but I don't care much for southern cuisine.

I can't stand Rodney, who is mostly unintelligible and when you can understand him, his grammar and vocabulary are atrocious.

Russell's cooking point of view doesn't really interest me. I'm only moderately devoted to healthy eating, but his cooking is all about fats and sugars. It would surprise me if that's the image the Food Network wants to project now that Paula Deen is gone.
    Ellen and Kip like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I talked to friends of mine from Maryland, and they *love* Rodney. One has even met him...says he's awesome and his pies are great.
    Although I haven't met him in person, as I said on another thread, this Maryland'r has tried his pies and I wasn't impressed. Never saw what the hype was about other then calling them "Dangerous" pies. Both me and my wife saw it as pure hype, nothing else. The savory pie wasn't spiced enough, and the sweet pie wasn't anything special to justify the extra price or the drive to get it.
    Kip and TripleGemini like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast