+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

I'd give Demaris's show a shot. I like her, but I don't like the concept she ended up with.

My husband's watching the show now. Some of his comments:

"You can't understand the Pie Guy. It sounds like he's saying 'Pah Stah.'"

"What's wrong with shows where they show you how to cook? I don't want to watch people go places. I don't like Paula Deen, but I'd watch her show me how to cook something."

FN Star and the other competition shows (Next Iron Chef, Worst Cook, etc) are the only FN shows I watch regularly anymore. If I see Pioneer Woman, Sandwich King, or Ten Dollar Meals are on when I'm looking at the program guide, I'll look to see if they're making anything that interests me, but that's about it. (Two cooking shows I try to regularly catch are America's Test Kitchen and Jacques Pepin.) Sigh...I just feel so out of touch with whatever it is the judges were looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't watch cooking shows as a rule but I would watch Damaris's because she's adorable.
    Damaris I think is one of the few who can expand on her idea. I don't think it would have to be just getting southern gentlemen (or wannabes) to cook. She can do local and location episodes with her pitch - even go nationwide to visit some places and show a healthier version of Southern Cooking. Out of the final three, she really has it all for Food Network really - she's the most versatile.

I thinks Russell's briefcase could get old - how many times can you add bacon and bourbon to things?
    I agree, but I'm thinking his "seven deadly food sins" are more generalized as red meat, alcohol, sugar, fat, starch (?), salt and processed foods (bacon).

He can make it a bit more versatile, as Damaris, but he does have a more limited range that he probably would lose out to her in a head-to-head. I do however feel he has improved by leaps and bounds since day one on this show, so if he won I will not be upset by any means. Damaris still is my number one choice.

I don't mind Rodney's concept...but it's presented by Rodney, who I do mind.

Damaris for the win.
    Rodney is one note, and IMHO only there because Giada likes him. I STILL don't understand a word he says, his ideas are all boring (because honestly... you can't make everything a pie, and he had no versatility beyond it) and he's done the worst on cooking.

If Rodney wins I will dare say that Food Network WANTED him to win in spite of anyone and everyone voting for Russell or Damaris. They may have selected Russell and Damaris hoping folks would split the vote so Rodney can win.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    I like Russell's concept of adding a decadent spin to ordinary food but, as someone pointed out, his style of cooking seems very unhealthy and is not the best message on which to base a show.
    In fairness, one of hte most popular chefs from yesteryear - Graham "The Galloping Gourmet" Kerr - is best known for his decadent food, including the use of clarified butter.

Admittedly since then he has done a 180 and does delicious and HEALTHY foods (a few I've actually wanted to cook myself - and need to look at his web site again for them), but he was very popular for this angle.

And "Iron Chef" (All versions) has similar themes as well.

Admittedly though... I do watch these shows more for the entertainment and sometimes to see if I can work a luxury dish into a healthier and cheaper version.

(On another note - I still chuckle thinking that Kerr just recently started that web site and he's in nearly 80 now, and he DOES answer questions from folks on the site).

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Vote by phone. You can get the numbers on foodnetwork.com. Go to the voting page for the info. Just don't vote through Facebook.

Damaris' number is 1-855-547-8271
    LOL I'm voting, only because a vote for Damaris is a vote against Rodney (TCO). I think Nikki will come back with a show and be very successful. She just needs some polishing. Kelsey comes to mind in that regard.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I would watch Demaris - as long as they keep it more about cooking and less about the guy getting the girl.

I would also watch Russell - get so tired of hearing "it's healthy" "it's good for you" "it has half the fat and calories", etc....... I still remember Bob Tushman's "sometimes I just wanna eat fudge" remark when a contestant named Katy kept harking her healthy meals. I am a grown woman and if I wanna eat a plateful of bacon for dinner, I will. I know the risks - let me reap the rewards.

I would NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT watch the Pie Man. Just no.
    Dragonlady and short_lived like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Of the 3, Demaris' POV is the least interesting to me. It's been done before by Queer Eye for the Straight Guy except that the cooking is not limited to Southern cuisine. If Nikki (or even Stacey) made the finale, i bet she would have won America's votes. These three left are quite a toss up.
    NFL1 and Kip like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I was going to vote for anyone but Rodney, until the vote said that it wanted all access to my personal information and friends list, then I hit cancel.
    For stuff like that, I give it access until I'm done doing whatever I came for, and then I remove its access. (Also, when it asks about posting to your friends? Click the drop-down arrow and select "Private", and it will only post so that you can see it, not your friends.)
    NFL1 likes this.

Well, it's no surprise that Rodney made it to the pilot. He definitely wasn't the worst at the idea pitch, but he should have been gone ages ago. The final 4's show ideas were, for the most part, awful. It was funny to see the mentors' blank faces and silence following the contestants presenting their ideas.

Stacey was really starting to bother me with her constant, somewhat fake-looking smiling.

The "surprise mentor" that would be meeting them on-location was extremely non-surprising, since Guy has been the pilot mentor before. In fact, he was the first person I thought of when they mentioned the surprise mentor.

Rodney was his usual completely annoying self in the pilot. Especially in the intro (when he's in the seating area of the restaurant); he has a very loud "yelly" way of talking. Nothing would make me change the channel faster than this idiot yelling "pie style!" at me. Having him and Guy on-screen together was just too much.

Unimpressed with Russell. The idea isn't all that interesting, and I feel like the culinary sin idea ends up focusing on making everything as unhealthy as possible. Sure, lots of unhealthy foods do taste really good, but just the unhealthiness of every single thing he makes would turn me off completely. How much bacon fat went into that ice cream? I wouldn't want to know the calories/fat in that. *Shudder*

Damaris's show was OK; not overly impressed with the concept, but I do really like her. But I found the part where they showed Josh with the date to just be really awkward. It might have been a better idea to check in with the guy the next day to see how the meal went over; including the "girlfriend" on the actual show just seemed unnecessary (and quite awkward) to me. And to Josh: lose the 'stache, buddy. You'd probably be pretty cute without it.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Based on their pilots I personally wouldn't watch any of their shows. Maybe Rodney would occasionally be on my TV since he is from Baltimore and would probably show Baltimore occasionally. But I can't stand pie-style. Pie-style is something that you may want on occasion, not every meal. Would you really watch a show to learn how to turn a perfectly good meal into a pie? I prefer the original meal.

Russell grates on me just like Guy does. Anthony Bordain said it best about Guy. How does Guy's act grow up? Does he stop dying his hair and stop spiking it, etc. Stop yelling. Fun when he first came out, only time I watch DDD anymore is when it features something local. I see Russell in the same arena.

Damaris' pilot stunk. Everything about her teaching the guy seemed forced and wrong. I was pulling for her above the other two before the pilots. Of the three I think she, with the Food Network PR department help, will do the best.
    Kip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL I'm voting, only because a vote for Damaris is a vote against Rodney (TCO). I think Nikki will come back with a show and be very successful. She just needs some polishing. Kelsey comes to mind in that regard.
    I really enjoy Kelsey's show on the Cooking Channel. She is informative!

I finally sat down and watched the pilots. I have to say, I liked Russell's the most. It was fun and I so wanted to try the ice cream.

Demaris's was okay, but I want her apple butter mustard recipe! That looked so good. And the pork rub.

Rodney, bleh. The pie looked greasy, underdone, gross and not appealing at all. His voice and manner also annoyed me.

While I like Russell's show, I can see myself using ideas from Demaris in my every day cooking. I just don't see myself making bacon ice cream. With a bit of polish she will do fine. I also think Russell could pull something out in the end as I do like his concept. I wish Pie Guy would go away.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast