+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 8/4 FNS 9 Episode 9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I guess I can stop watching now. Stacey's is the only pilot that would have interested me.

I like Damaris, but I don't care much for southern cuisine.

I can't stand Rodney, who is mostly unintelligible and when you can understand him, his grammar and vocabulary are atrocious.

Russell's cooking point of view doesn't really interest me. I'm only moderately devoted to healthy eating, but his cooking is all about fats and sugars. It would surprise me if that's the image the Food Network wants to project now that Paula Deen is gone.
    I agree with pretty much all you said. I would have watched Stacey or Nikki. Maybe Demaris if she didn't do a Southern cooking show. And what's up with the teaching men to cook show? Is that going to be the theme of all of her shows? Early in the competition, one contestant's POV was that he wanted to teach men how to cook. Alton slapped him down for that, saying that the FN wouldn't want to insult men that way, saying how many great men cooks/chefs there are. And now Demaris is doing this?!?!

I've lost a lot of respect for Alton Brown and Robert Irvine (I've never cared for Giada, so haven't seen enough of her shows to know whether I respect her talent or not). I still can't get over they're saying that Nikki lacked food authority when Rodney couldn't even get his pie dough cooked. A part of authority is getting the job done. Rodney's credibility as food authority in my eyes, is pretty low. I think I can cook better than he can, so I won't be watching his show.

IMO, you have to start with the talent. Yes, the host has to be relateable and watchable. That can often be taught (David Bromstad on HGTV is a good example of that).

Maybe cutting the FN execs Bob & Susie out of the loop for much of the season was a mistake. I'd like to think that they would have reached different decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    I. Can't. Stand. Pie Man.

Sorry, Pie Style is not sweepin' the nation. He comes off like such a poser.
    Even that abbreviated version of his pilot drove me up a wall. I don't "get" what people are seeing in this guy; I don't find him charming, or exciting. I would never watch his show.

Russel's pilot was way better than I expected based upon his last few challenges. He didn't do that choppy sentence type way of talking, his deliviery was much smoother and it all flowed better. I laughed when they showed the 7 deadly sins in his briefcase .
    TOTALLY agree about Rodney. I personally don't need to make a pie out of everything in the food universe and watching him is fingernails on the chalkboard.

I like Russell's concept of adding a decadent spin to ordinary food but, as someone pointed out, his style of cooking seems very unhealthy and is not the best message on which to base a show.

I've grown to really like Damaris. I think she's charming and very natural - she clearly doesn't always think before she speaks but what comes out is usually charming and funny rather than offensive and obnoxious. I think her concept is good and just needs some tweaking. It's Curtis' "Take Home Chef" with a southern twist and a sex change.

I voted mostly for Damaris and a couple of votes for Russell just to try to keep Rodney off the air.
    Jezebella likes this.

Can't stand "Pah Stahl" -- clone of the über-annoying, self-important Fieri.
    Russell? Really? Who cares? It's a no-brainer to cook/eat in a body-killing way in the good ol' USA. So what.
    Damaris? Cute concept. But Southern food? Oh joy. The edit reeks of a nuPaula replacement. I guess there's enough of a TV market for it. Y'all.
    She'll likely win.
    I'm so done with this.
    Color me crabby and bring on the flames.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I will be disappointed if Pie Man wins! I think he's too gimmicky and pathetic. I am shocked he's still on the show.

Russell and his concept are....blech.

I want Damaris to win. Sure, she still needs polishing but time and a little more training will take care of that. I'm not big on southern cooking BUT there are certainly many people who are.

I'm not on facebook so I have to vote by phone. *groan* Anybody know if I have to pay for these calls? The area code is: 855

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I will be disappointed if Pie Man wins! I think he's too gimmicky and pathetic. I am shocked he's still on the show.

Russell and his concept are....blech.

I want Damaris to win. Sure, she still needs polishing but time and a little more training will take care of that. I'm not big on southern

cooking BUT there are certainly many people who are.

I'm not on facebook so I have to vote by phone. *groan* Anybody know if I have to pay for these calls? The area code is: 855
    I just checked the FAQs on the food network website. It says the calls are toll free. I'm going to vote by phone too.

What am i missing?

I don't see it. I just don't see what it is about Rodney that makes them love him so much. He comes off as a fool, an illiterate fool with marbles in his mouth with a very limited vocabulary. He's like Guy's more annoying (and that's saying something) cousin.

So is that the deal here? Are they looking for another guy?

There is nothing that will make me watch his show.

Russell caught my interest a little, I think I would give him a view or two. I'd probably watching Damaris a couple of times because she amuses me. However, none of the final 4 had anything that would make me watch them consistently.
    AmyKay and sparklete like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

CCL

I don't watch cooking shows as a rule but I would watch Damaris's because she's adorable.

I thinks Russell's briefcase could get old - how many times can you add bacon and bourbon to things?

I don't mind Rodney's concept...but it's presented by Rodney, who I do mind.

Damaris for the win.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

His pie dough is lumpy and unappealing. I dislike his personality and schtick.

Sins are a yummy death trap.

A coached romantic dinner is so contrived.

Sorry, I couldn't vote for any of them.
    dzigner likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't vote for any of them.
    I was going to vote for anyone but Rodney, until the vote said that it wanted all access to my personal information and friends list, then I hit cancel.
    NCLurker, Kip and Florimel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I was going to vote for anyone but Rodney, until the vote said that it wanted all access to my personal information and friends list, then I hit cancel.
    Vote by phone. You can get the numbers on foodnetwork.com. Go to the voting page for the info. Just don't vote through Facebook.

Damaris' number is 1-855-547-8271

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast