+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 7/28 FNS 9 Episode 8 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 7/28 FNS 9 Episode 8 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers

If someone has a POV, fine. I don't think every show needs a POV - and I wish the FN wouldn't require that.

I think a lot of viewers watch shows because they like the host and what the host cooks. Russell has made some excellent dishes and I'd like to watch him cook what he likes to cook - not have him struggle to fit recipes into a deadly sins POV or whatever his other POV is. I'd watch if it was just Russell's Kitchen.

I'd watch Demaris cook (at least until her cutesy talking to the food gets too annoying), but I don't really want to watch a show about Southern cooking. Let her have a Cooking with Demaris show. There will be a Southern influence on many of her dishes because of who she is and where she lives, but don't force it.

I don't find Stacey fake. She's won a lot of challenges, so she can apparently cook. I like her POV of updating old classics. Some of what I cook in my food repertoire could use some updating!

I'd watch any of these three's shows to see if I like them. If Rodney wins, my inclination would be to not watch his show, but I'd probably tune in to see if his producers were able to at least get him to speak clearly.

This show has always been rife with inconsistent judging. Nikki gets eliminated for not being enough of a culinary authority, yet Rodney is still there. I don't see him as a culinary authority either. He hasn't shown much food knowledge or expertise as far as I can remember, and he acts in a way that makes me not take him seriously at all. Not to mention his dish wasn't good, meaning that yet again he failed to make a decent pie. And apparently pie style is "a way of life" and as he says next week is "sweeping the nation." No.

Stacey is still not natural enough and Russell speaks in that choppy way and has POV issues. I really think Damaris will win. She has shown real growth, which will definitely send her to the finals to do a pilot, unless she screws up royally next time. Her charisma will get her the public's vote, I think.
    Dragonlady and mandmmom2 like this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Rodney is very one-note and that note has never grabbed me. I don't think he has charisma at all. I think he comes across as phony. He seems to be trying to be a cool dude and he seems to always be "on." In addition, it appears he doesn't really cook well, and pie is wonderful but not the basis for a lifestyle or a weekly show.

Stacey comes across, to me, as someone who thinks she's better than anyone - better than the people around her, better than the people who eat her food, and better than the viewing audience. She can cook well but I'm not interested in her.

Russell . . . oh Russell, Russell, Russell - he's killing me! He's definitely the best of the bunch to look at, and he's so appealing in his talking head spots, so why does he struggle so mightily during his camera challenges? In fact, I don't understand this about all the competitions (food, design, etc.) to win a show: the contestants all speak very easily and articulately in the talking heads segments but they stumble and falter in their presentations!

I thought Russell clearly did the best job in reinterpreting the dish this challenge and I hope he can overcome his hesitant camera presentation and bloom. I'd watch him if he could talk to the camera as if it's a good friend.

Damaris is adorable and she seems to be the frontrunner at this point but I don't see her as a culinary expert nor does she seem to have an exciting cooking style.

Nikki was a longshot from the beginning, being more of a food blogger than a cook. She clearly blew it this week by being stumped over and over again by very basic questions. I thought Alton's comment to her ("you probably know your stuff but you don't know how to show that you know your stuff") was toughlove but ultimately, a food star has to be able to convey what they know and convey that he/she is the one that has the authority to convey it to the audience.

FN made a big (not for the first time) FN mistake by getting rid of the best contestant way, way too soon.
    Dummies.
    mandmmom2 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

I like Damaris and they clearly do too. I watch competitions, Mystery Diners, Restaurant Impossible and all shows other than watching someone cook. They may have Damaris in mind for another kind of program.

I don't care for anyone else. Stacy has proved herself to be very unappealing and I thought she had this in the bag after the first couple of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    Rodney is very one-note and that note has never grabbed me. I don't think he has charisma at all. I think he comes across as phony. He seems to be trying to be a cool dude and he seems to always be "on." In addition, it appears he doesn't really cook well, and pie is wonderful but not the basis for a lifestyle or a weekly show.
    And that one note is very hard to understand!
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I remember, seasons ago now, hearing either Susie or Joe (?) say, we can teach them to cook but we can't teach them star quality.

Damaris has that in spades.

I don't even know why Rodney is still there. He isn't funny or a character. He is trying to be though.

She will win this, hands down. Oh, I forgot, we vote. Maybe not!

Russell and his sin approach is a turn off as Giada mentioned.

I was really hoping Rodney was eliminated and Nikki stay. I like Nikki the best. Oh well. I don't get the decision but I'm not the one making the decision.

Last week, the three gals were bestie's and then this week Nikki is the biggest threat to Stacy so she gives her one of the hardest dishes to make knowing she doesn't like Salmon. I lost a lot of respect for Stacy this week.

I think Damaris could win now.
    cavendish likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    I was really hoping Rodney was eliminated and Nikki stay. I like Nikki the best. Oh well. I don't get the decision but I'm not the one making the decision.

Last week, the three gals were bestie's and then this week Nikki is the biggest threat to Stacy so she gives her one of the hardest dishes to make knowing she doesn't like Salmon. I lost a lot of respect for Stacy this week.

I think Damaris could win now.
    I liked Nikki too (and her POV). Stacey only did what every other contestant has done when given a similar advantage: give competitors a dish or process they think will be a struggle for them (and it sometimes backfires). Nikki cooked the salmon beautifully. The issue was the pilaf. If Nikki had been given a chicken or mushroom dish and made pilaf as an accompaniment, the same issue that sent her home would have existed.

I just looked up the definition of pilaf because Demaris said it was a rice dish where the rice is toasted or sauteed first. I've made a lot of pilafs over the years, and most pilaf recipes don't call for this step. [Pilaf: 1.
    a Middle Eastern dish consisting of sautéed, seasoned rice steamed in bouillon, sometimes with poultry, meat or shellfish. 2. rice cooked in a meat or poultry broth. ] So Demaris wouldn't have fared any better than Nikki if she had been asked that question.

If you check out the boards at the show site, everyone there just *loves* Rodney.

I'm missing whatever it is they like.

(And Nikki was as much in trouble for not knowing exactly what pilaf was as she was for giving them so much. But still, perfectly cooked salmon should have won out over raw pie dough.)
    libgirl2 and Dragonlady like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast