+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

"Big Screen Bites" - the chefs create a menu and a movie trailer for a focus group of viewers.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

I don't like this whole "watch the trailer and pick only one to eat" option. They've got the devices from he|| to tell them what people thought about the trailers...then let them eat all three teams food and vote.

At least they picked the bottom three from the two teams. (That is, they didn't pick one team to be the bottom.)
    Kip and Duckyface like this.

Who in their right mind would use frozen pizza dough to make donuts? That makes no sense. Bye bye Lovely .

Viet better step up his game big time if he wants to remain in the competition.
    Ellen, Kip, dzigner and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Who in their right mind would use frozen pizza dough to make donuts? That makes no sense. Bye bye Lovely .
    And how easy would it have been to make beignets (or even real doughnuts) in a kitchen with fryers? (Part of the reason I avoid making donuts is because of the mess. But if I had access to fryers? Oh, yeah, I'd be making them more often.)

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post

I knew she would be gone as soon as she said she was making that.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Does she think all dough is the same? Or was she lazy when she found the pre-rolled pizza dough. Also when the word beignet was brought up she had a blank look and pretty much indicated she didn't know what that was.

Bye-Bye, Lovely.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Certainly contestents on cooking competitions know that they must arrive with some killer recipes in their head. A good desert is crucial. I don't want berries for desert. I love fried dough but she didn't let it rise thus a dense mess.

The spaghetti western theme was odd. Just go for Texas and give them tenderloin tips, a short rib or some beef dish instead of pasta.

We saw Damaris taste her grits a bunch of times claiming them to be delicious. Apparently she did not realize they lacked salt? This is something else all should remember. Not enough "seasoning" is a complaint you hear often. Often they call salt, seasoning. Just say salt like Alton did.

Lucky, for some, Lovely blew it with frozen pizza dough. There were other dishes that failed but just not as badly.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I don't like this whole "watch the trailer and pick only one to eat" option. They've got the devices from he|| to tell them what people thought about the trailers...then let them eat all three teams food and vote.

At least they picked the bottom three from the two teams. (That is, they didn't pick one team to be the bottom.)
    I agree. I wish the audience would have rated the food they ate and the group with the best-tasting food would have won. But, in the end, the right person went home.

Developing a Western- or Romance-themed menu is easy (I get the reference to spaghetti westerns, but spaghetti???). Musicals, not so much. When they said that, I had no idea what they could do for that. Adventure would be another good category.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Not enough "seasoning" is a complaint you hear often. Often they call salt, seasoning.
    I think the problem may be that a lot of people don't use salt now unless you have to. The idea being you allow the person to salt it to their own taste. The problem is that on cooking shows they want the meal prepared perfectly. Which means adding nothing, and not accounting for individual tastes. Personally I never add salt to anything (unless it is in the recipe) but my wife use to add it to everything but since meeting me has at least cut back a lot. But she does add it to a lot more then I do.
    Ellen likes this.

I don't use salt. When my husband cooks, I'm constantly looking over his shoulder to make sure he's not sneaking seasoning in because it's often too salty for my tastes. I'm really big on letting natural flavors shine and rarely use anything to mask those flavors.

Back to this episode, are these the most lack luster boring contestants ever? Seriously, I don't think I could see myself watching a show with any of them. They have not done a thing to capture my interest. Not their personality, not their POV, not their recipes, nothing.

Snooze.

I thought the western trio did the best presentation. The romantic and musical were painfully horrible.

Having just finished watching the episode, I can't think of a single offering I would want to try.

I did get a slight snickering giggle when Chris was nodding in that know-it-all condescending way as Lovely was torn apart for her pizza dough and then they ripped into him and his smirk flipped. Classic. I might go watch that again, lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast