+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

  1. #21
    Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC coast
    Posts
    3,439

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    We knew Lovely was on her way out when she brought out the pizza dough. It's a COOKING competition and she should have had a recipe for the dough. I don't have the time or the inclination to make my own but I know not to use pizza dough. Those 'biscuits' in a can - the kind you thunk on the counter - work in a pinch. My daughter has friends who own a Chinese restaurant and she'll occasionally lend them a hand. If you see "Chinese Doughnuts" on their menu, that's exactly what you are getting. When she realized that's what they were doing, she asked why they didn't make their own. The answer she got made her LOL. Her friend looked at her and in all seriousness said "sometimes we not so crafty". Lovely would have been better off with some Poppin Fresh dough and a killer dipping sauce. Would she still have been sent home? Perhaps . . . but at least her product would have been edible!
    Arielflies likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

  2. #22
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I loved the idea of Viet's dessert and was fascinated by the whipped yogurt cream. I want to make that! Did none of the judges (nor focus group, for that matter) pick up on that? Whipped yogurt is not a usual thing, to my knowledge. Why didn't the experts see any value in that?


    (I'm not a fan of rich, fatty, too-sugary desserts; they make me feel "icky.")
    Because it ended up to be a dumb bowl of fruit, with no rum taste as promised with whipped cream on top.

    Just fold some yogurt into whipped cream if you like that idea. That is all it is. It is not a new concept; I have seen that done on other cooking segments. You cannot whip straight yogurt.

  3. #23
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    We knew Lovely was on her way out when she brought out the pizza dough. It's a COOKING competition and she should have had a recipe for the dough. I don't have the time or the inclination to make my own but I know not to use pizza dough. Those 'biscuits' in a can - the kind you thunk on the counter - work in a pinch. My daughter has friends who own a Chinese restaurant and she'll occasionally lend them a hand. If you see "Chinese Doughnuts" on their menu, that's exactly what you are getting. When she realized that's what they were doing, she asked why they didn't make their own. The answer she got made her LOL. Her friend looked at her and in all seriousness said "sometimes we not so crafty". Lovely would have been better off with some Poppin Fresh dough and a killer dipping sauce. Would she still have been sent home? Perhaps . . . but at least her product would have been edible!
    That is very funny and oh so true! Both Indian and Chinese food lacks authenticity and is created for our palates in the US. They think they know what we like and want and the truth is we are not offered anything else. They emigrate and open restaurants and do what everyone else does. There is not a mastermind chef behind the scenes. There are a few exceptions somewhere, of course but that is the norm. It is a business to them, not a creative effort. Open a restaurant or convience store to make it here in the US is what happens.

    I get this information from two trusted friends, one Indian the other Chinese. I love to eat out at a specific restaurant with my Chinese friend. She knows the ower. No menus come to the table; she talks directly to him in Chinese, of course. Then out comes the most delicious food! Nothing resembles what we usually get.

  4. #24
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    323

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    I agree with the previous posts about the romance dessert. I would have expected something much more decadent. If he was stuck on berries do dark chocolate covered strawberries with some kind of champagne flavored cupcake or tea cake. Berries in rum with whipped cream screams 4th of July picnic.
    Shoepie and Duckyface like this.

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey hot_chocolate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,777

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Back to this episode, are these the most lack luster boring contestants ever? Seriously, I don't think I could see myself watching a show with any of them. They have not done a thing to capture my interest. Not their personality, not their POV, not their recipes, nothing.

    Snooze.

    I thought the western trio did the best presentation. The romantic and musical were painfully horrible.
    Usually, at this point, I at least have someone whose show I'd probably watch, but I'm also not finding any of these contestants particularly engaging. Hardly any of them have an interesting POV that would be versatile enough to have a whole show. I like seeing challenges where they work in teams, but I feel like it would be more useful for them to have to make trailers for their POVs as opposed to movie genres.

    The musical trailer was just really bad due to the singing, but honestly, there weren't a lot of options for a musical trailer other than to sing. Odd that Rodney is a musician and couldn't enunciate his words properly while singing.

    Lovely was assured a bottom spot as she mentioned using pre-made pizza dough. The judges usually do not approve of using store-bought ingredients, and her donut just ended up tasting like fried pizza dough, which would also be extremely bland in addition to the textural problems. I find it hard to believe that she thought it was a good idea and that neither of her teammates said anything about it. I didn't like her anyway so I'm happy she's gone. Chris is irritating and loud. I find Rodney really annoying and he wasn't able to make a decent pie. Viet's berries and cream (even though the whipped yogurt sounded somewhat interesting) was just a boring idea and doesn't involve enough actual cooking for a show like this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

  6. #26
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Chris did say something about her fried pizza dough. He told her to make a beignet and she shot him down. Then she proceeded to eat it in front of him while bouncing her shoulders and making hmmm....hmmmm....sounds. You could see that he decided then and there to just let her hang.

    I wanted to say to Chris it's enunciate and not announciate (that annoyed me or it could be just because I don't like him so everything he does annoys me).
    Ellen, NCLurker and TripleGemini like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

  7. #27
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,034

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Maybe I "get" Viet and appreciate his low-key style because I work mainly with Asians. I find him refreshing. Maybe he would do better on the Cooking Channel or KPBS. I don't know. TV networks and their advertisers will never make megabucks off of me, so who cares?
    Shoepie likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  8. #28
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,790

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Chris did say something about her fried pizza dough. He told her to make a beignet and she shot him down. Then she proceeded to eat it in front of him while bouncing her shoulders and making hmmm....hmmmm....sounds. You could see that he decided then and there to just let her hang.

    I wanted to say to Chris it's enunciate and not announciate (that annoyed me or it could be just because I don't like him so everything he does annoys me).
    Giada makes pizza dough donuts. I don't know if its homemade dough, but I would hope so. I think what probably makes hers better is she does a traditional donut, not a donut hole, which Lovely did. Maybe it comes out not so dense?

    Italian Doughnuts Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  9. #29
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,598

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Giada makes pizza dough donuts. I don't know if its homemade dough, but I would hope so. I think what probably makes hers better is she does a traditional donut, not a donut hole, which Lovely did. Maybe it comes out not so dense?

    Italian Doughnuts Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network
    Hah! That's pretty funny. Giada's recipe calls for "prepared pizza dough" and prep time is only 25 min, so it sounds like she's buying it somewhere. The recipe is rated well - a lot of raters used Trader Joe's frozen pizza dough.

  10. #30
    FORT Fogey Duckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    908

    Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

    If you use salt properly it actually enhances the natural flavor of food rather than hiding it. You would think anyone on these shows would have done their homework about salt at the very least! I mean, it's a key ingredient in almost any kind of cooking you do. I don't like things that taste like salt, but that's not how salt is supposed to be used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.