+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 6/23 FNS 9 Episode 3 **West Coast Spoilers**

I like Viet's quiet personality. I really want him to shine, but he gets so nervous over the whole "Bobby Flay" thing that he can't even cook up to par, much less present. Come on, Viet - grab some of Lovely's sparkle as she leaves the building.
    Ellen likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Viet is my favorite but I don't want to watch anything with him right now. He would put me to sleep. I'm hoping he finds his way and figures this out before it's too late.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Right person went home. But I see that they will be bringing back one of the already eliminated contestants via a cook-off. It's like Redemption Island in Survivor.

Viet made a dessert that only took him a few minutes to make. That was nothing special. Considering they have romance as a theme, he should have made something that's quite rich and luscious like something with chocolate, ice cream/gelato combined with fruits and nuts!
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 06-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Shoepie and Duckyface like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Does she think all dough is the same? Or was she lazy when she found the pre-rolled pizza dough. Also when the word beignet was brought up she had a blank look and pretty much indicated she didn't know what that was.

Bye-Bye, Lovely.
    Again, she was on HK, I had very little faith in her cooking abilities/knowledge from the start.
    xmaskat and Duckyface like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Right person went home. But I see that they will be bringing back one of the already eliminated contestants via a cook-off. It's like Redemption Island in Survivor.

Viet made a dessert that only took him a few minutes to make. That was nothing special. Considering they have romance as a theme, he should have made something that's quite luscious like something with chocolate, ice cream/gelato combined with fruits and nuts!
    This seems to be the trend with these reality competition shows. How many of them have had the redemption arch where they get to compete their way back into the competition? I think it's time to retire this gimmick, it's getting old and tired.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I don't think the musicals genre was that difficult. They could have chosen a particular musical and themed the menu on that. For example, "Grease" - diner theme or "South Pacific" - pacific island theme or "The King and I" - Thai theme or "Flower Drum Song" = Chinese theme.

I like Viet and I would not be surprised to see his on camera personality develop as the show moves towards the finish. That's happened before, Melissa D'Arabian comes to mind. In any case, I hope Viet can develop. I think I show featuring his cuisine would be interesting and he can certainly cook.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Oh yea...they did that on Master Chef last year and also in Face Off. The contestant who came back made it to the finals on MC but the one on FO the returnee actually won! It's quite lame I think because the ones who were not eliminated early didn't have get 2nd chance. Come to think of it, Michelle of Project Runway technically was eliminated. But instead of doing a Design Off with Patricia in the bottom or with other eliminated contestants to bring her back they just made sure she came back by just not doing an elimination.

I loved the idea of Viet's dessert and was fascinated by the whipped yogurt cream. I want to make that! Did none of the judges (nor focus group, for that matter) pick up on that? Whipped yogurt is not a usual thing, to my knowledge. Why didn't the experts see any value in that?

(I'm not a fan of rich, fatty, too-sugary desserts; they make me feel "icky.")
    Last edited by Ellen; 06-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The last season of Face Off did something different...the winner of the "redemption" got to come back *next* season (not back into the current season).

I was good with that. I don't like the "bring them back this season" redemptions.
    Shoepie and Duckyface like this.

I think the redemption aspect works in Top Chef. The "problem" with Top Chef is that they want the chefs to take risks but one bad risk can show you the door. This allows a chef that made one simple mistake a way back on.

The difference between that and most other shows is that there is more then just one bad meal as a reason they go home. On Survivor it is usually they were outplayed. On Next Food Network Star, usually it is a combination of a bad meal and bad presentation. The only time they send people home for bad food is when it has been over several episodes or later in the season a tie breaker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast