+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Next Food Network Star - Season Nine - Sunday, June 2nd

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Next Food Network Star - Season Nine - Sunday, June 2nd

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/th

This is the write-up found on the Food Network site:

While most will be enjoying a summer full of weekend road trips, lazy afternoons by the pool and casual evening cookouts, 12 hopeful finalists on Food Network Star will be facing off in the ultimate multi-month job interview for a chance to earn the most-coveted career in the culinary industry: hosting their own Food Network show.

The ninth season of this life-changing competition is set to start on Sunday, June 2 at 9pm/8c, when contenders will travel to Los Angeles to begin an 11-week journey, complete with all-new Mentor and Star Challenges, surprise chef guests and on-location demands. For the finalists, simply showing off advanced cooking chops or shining camera-ready smiles won't be enough. If they want to survive weekly eliminations, they'll have to work their way to the coveted Star sweet spot, demonstrating both a mastery of the kitchen and an effortless television charm.

Alton Brown, Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis will be back to mentor the contestants through each phase of the competition, but this season they're doing so from across the judges' table as members of the selection committee. Food Network executives Bob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson will be on hand, as well, praising and critiquing hopefuls in an effort to discover the next fresh face of the network. Focus groups will also be invited to challenges, not just to watch what goes down, but to share their reviews with Alton, Bobby and Giada — and impact judging. For the first time this season, one finalist will be brought back after elimination for another chance at victory.

While the selection committee must decide who stays and who goes each week, it will be up to you — Star fans — to choose who will ultimately be your next Food Network Star. Just like last year, there will be a live finale fan vote to determine the winner at the end of the season, when you'll have the chance to support your favorite finalist by voting for him or her to take the win.

Meet the Season 9 competitors below, then check out the Food Network Star headquarters for more insider coverage of the show all season long.

Andres Guillama (Waynesville, N.C.)
    Chad Rosenthal (Ambler, Penn.)
    Chris Hodgson (Cleveland)
    Connie “Lovely” Jackson (Los Angeles)
    Damaris Phillips (Louisville, Ky.)
    Daniela Perez-Reyes (Haleiwa, Hawaii)
    Danushka Lysek (New York)
    Nikki Dinki (New York)
    Rodney Henry (Baltimore)
    Russell Jackson (San Francisco)
    Stacey Poon-Kinney (Spring Valley, Calif.)
    Viet Pham (Salt Lake City)
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Re: Next Food Network Star - Season Nine - Sunday, June 2nd

I wonder they don't get Justin's show up and running before the next competition starts. So far I've seen him in commercials for food fairs and Miracle Grow.

Nikki Dinki - really? Perfect name for a TV show. Viet Pham sounds like Viet Nam which may play in his favor. Danushka, I hope, will be mysterious with odd ingredients. Hawaii has been discovered for real with another contestant this season - this one female.

I'm joking around with the names as that is all I have at the moment. Wonder what their shticks will be?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

It's funny -- I really got into the show last season, and was excited about Justin winning. Then I forgot all about it -- I never realized his show never got off the ground.

Wiki says that they aired a 1-hour pilot with him called Rebel Eats in March. Anybody see it?

EDIT: It's available at the FN website. After watching the first few minutes, it seems like a copy of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. He hits the road with a wad of cash and goes in search of odd food and culture. Only as a narrator, he lacks Bourdain's poetry and wicked insight.

Rebel Eats : Justin Warner : Food Network
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 05-05-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

That was FUN! I haven't watched Bourdain on CNN, but Justin brings youth and rock and roll. From 100 year old grease to Moonshine to Jellyfish, this was a lot of fun.

Now I have to go see if it is on the schedule.

ETA: Not yet. The pilot aired March 30 and repeated on April 6.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

If you watch enough of these reality shows, people begin to look familiar.

Some of you might recognize Chris Hodgson. He was on The Great Food Truck Race one season with his sister and girlfriend. Their truck is called Hodge Podge.

Season 9 premieres tonight!

I'll be following it closely...that is, until Big Brother stars up at the end of the month...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    If you watch enough of these reality shows, people begin to look familiar.

Some of you might recognize Chris Hodgson. He was on The Great Food Truck Race one season with his sister and girlfriend. Their truck is called Hodge Podge.
    Hey, you're right, I had not noticed that before. Well, that's already someone to root against, I remember what an arrogant, obnoxious windbag this guy was. I also recognize Danushka, who competed on Chopped, was eliminated in the second round. And then there is Lovely, who competed in the sixth season of Hell's Kitchen. I remember she was pretty dang bad, so it seems she's definitely improved her skills to make it here.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

I didn't realize Danushka was on Chopped and I don't watch Hell's Kitchen, so I missed Lovey. Not crying over either of those opportunities as they are already my least favorite female competitors. Viet said he was on Iron Chef and defeated Bobby Flay. Rodney was shown on an episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate. Duff Goldman goes to Rodney for pie.

Wow. Did they audition anyone who hadn't had prior experience on the network or networked with those who had?

It's almost like some of them are plants who they know aren't going to win, and are just there to make things interesting...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast