+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Anyone else surprised to see Alton Brown reduced to tears?

I'm glad they green-lighted a pilot from both of his finalists, because they both were as good as the finalists picked from the other two, if not a shade better. Although, really, the only one who really turned me off was Nikki. I don't see how you can build an entire show just around grilling, but perhaps that's because where I live, we get a lot more non-grilling weather than grilling weather. Nikki always seemed just a little defensive to me.

Sweet corn mac and cheese? I'd like to see a recipe for that--but I think that's kind of my problem with cooking shows. I really just want the recipe. I don't need all the rest of the song and dance, so I'm better off with cookbooks.
    mesachick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm glad they green-lighted a pilot from both of his finalists, because they both were as good as the finalists picked from the other two, if not a shade better.
    Agreed.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

FORT Fogey

If I were going to vote--haven't decided if I will, since I'm basically okay with any of the final four but I'm not overwhelmingly excited about one of the pilots more than the rest--I'd probably vote for Dustin, just because he had the guts to make fun of Alton and because he made something that was a little bit out there but not beyond the techniques or equipment/ingredients of the average home cook.
    Kip likes this.

I thought all 4 of them were quite good.....

and I am going the corn mac and cheese.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

For the record --
    In order to vote online at FoodNetwork.com, and you can vote up to 10 times a day online, BUT you must have a Facebook account and have already Liked the FN page.
    I despise that. As active as I am on FB, I do not like to bother my friends and family with stuff like this. This is MY guilty pleasure, and I don't need to force it on them.

That said, you can still vote via phone! (I did not see this during the show -- ??)

You can call up to 10 times a day (in addition to voting online).

Here are the toll-free numbers:
    Martie Duncan
    1 855 54 STAR 1
    (1-855-547-8271)
    Yvan Lemoine
    1 855 54 STAR 2
    (1-855-547-8272)
    Michele Ragussis
    1 855 54 STAR 3
    (1-855-547-8273)
    Justin Warner
    1 855 54 STAR 4
    (1-855-547-8274)

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    and I am going the corn mac and cheese.
    While I didn't much care for the promo, I thought that Corn Mac & Cheese was bangin!

Then again, I am a midwestern Lutheran, and we love our creamy casserole carbs.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

ok.. love Yvan's dish idea.. show not so much. HIs voice will grate on me over time. Would be more inclined to watch Ippy.
    Loved Martie's PoV.. her show not so much.
    Love Justin, liked his promo.. like his show. You sure can tell he's coached by Mr Brown
    Love Michelle.. and LOVED her promo.. it was the one that felt natural to me. Well done and great PoV. Just hate to see Bobby win in any way :/
    Kip likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

On the final 3 (4!) decision: Definitely the right choice in the Michelle-vs-Nikki battle. If I had to hear "I'm the Grill Next Door" one more time....Arghhhh!!! You are NOT a Grill. Now go home. I think with Giada's team I was sort-of mixed. I really like Yvon- I think he's likable and adorable, but the 'family style' idea has been done to death. Wasn't Melissa D'Arabian's original POV "Family Style"? If it wasn't her, it was someone elses. Where I think Yvon comes across well on camera, but lacks in the POV department, I think Ippy is the opposite- I think he fades on camera, but has a great POV. I'm not sure it's his "laid back Hawaiian" style that the judges are always harping on, but there is just something that gets lost when he is on camera. He has a great smile, warm nature and interesting POV, but just lacking something. On Alton's team, I have never been a big Martie fan, but she has toned it down in recent weeks and I don't find her nearly as grating as earlier in the season. I do wonder if the "Martie with a Party" is too similar to "Aarti Party" from a few seasons ago. I thought she did well in her promo and made the points she needed to. Justin had me hooked with his opening about eating fishbones. No, I've never wanted to try fishbones, but now he has me intrigued about it and I may want to. There was never a question that he would be picked. He is too original for FN to turn him down.

Onto the actual Pilots...

Michelle: I've never really warmed up to Michelle- she's a little harsh for me, but I thought she seemed to mellow in her pilot. Her clams looked delicious and I wanted to eat them through the screen. I like the idea of a show just about New England cooking because I do think it fills a niche that FN is lacking. Personally, I don't need a show about New England cooking because I live in Maine and I think I have every cookbook ever written about NE, but it would be nice to share our little corner of the US with everyone else. ;-)

Yvon: As I said above- he is adorable and likeable, but Family Style has been done and redone. I must admit the thought of corn mac and cheese sounded gross, but after I saw it I almost want to make it and see what it tastes like. I suspect he will finish 4th.

Martie: I do like the fact she is a little older (seasoned, we like to say) and I was prepared not to like the pilot as she tends to jabber too much. I found myself thinking she did a solid job and I really wanted to come through the tv and grab one of those shrimp- even though I thought they looked a little messy for party food. I think she will be 3rd.

Justin: Oddly, my favorite going in, but not my favorite pilot. I didn't like his big head in the intro (too Alton-ish) and I think there was too much 'before cooking' stuff and not enough 'during cooking' stuff. The weird thing is that I would probably like to watch his show just to see the pure crazy things he comes up with, although I really don't think I would want to make them myself. I like my 'old-fashioned" Caesar salad just fine thank you, but I am in total awe of someone that can think of something like a warm gelatinous caesar salad with grilled lettuce and make me want to try it. I think the croutons looked a little burned and it made the plate look slightly unappealing, but for me it was in the execution, not necessarily the finished product. Oh...and his lips are too red. What's up with that?

So in the end after all my rambling I think it will come down to Michelle or Justin and I think it could go either way, although I think I give the edge to MiniAlton...er...Justin.
    sparklete likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I agree on all of your points, except that I thought Martie did a lot worse than you did. She said that after her show, you would feel like you had a caterer, bartender, and decorator for your party. Then, all she did was make a bowl full of shrimp with RAW ONIONS in a citrus marinade that she never said what was in it. She used a seasoning mix for the top of the shrimp and threw them in the oven. She never mentioned one decorating idea, or a drink, or even how the people were supposed to get the shrimp from the giant messy bowl of shrimp and onions. There was no serving spoon, and the guest picked one out with his finger to eat! Ewww! Let's have our guests dig through this bowl with their bare hands, looking for a shrimp. I'm sorry, but my teenage sons could do a party better than that! LOL!

In the end, I wish I would have had the opportunity to vote for Ippy because I was interested in learning to cook Hawaiian food, but I think Justin will win.

FORT Fanatic

Maude--so right about EVERYTHING you said about Marti as almost a total fail (tho I wanted her to at least have a chance for the pilot). Same with Yvan...wanted him to have the chance because he is so likable but...parading his family members in to stand there grinning like fools while reaching for the dish was ....so forced and staged looking. A disappointment. Michelle did her best "show" so far but ....meh. Justin, Alton's natural protege, was just as I good and entertaining as I expected, but will America take to his errrrrr, quirkiness?

I know two things---
    1-I really couldn't stand Ippy (and surprised at how unlikeable Giada is on these cooking comp shows) and have zero desire to learn how to cook the cuisine of Hawaii.

2.I will prob watch whoever wins at least once or twice, out of curiousity but...I'm guessing there will be some winning over to get me to stay watching.

P.S. NO such trouble with Jeff Mauro The Sandwich King ( did he even speak once tonight?)....the only clear cut winner from the jump since Guy Fieri.....start his next season already!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast