+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 5/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

5/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Dessert challenge -- the chefs come up with a dessert from a basket of odd ingredients. Let's see who can sell cow pie sundaes on camera.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 5/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Alton is really overdoing the stern attitude with everyone -- he's just being arbitrarily testy tonight.
    Shoepie and wannasee like this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I really wish Nicki (Nicky?) hadn't pulled it out...I was really hoping she would go home. But I enjoyed the Chopped Challenge (although I couldn't figure out why Giada was so upset her team got grape soda...at least it's sweet! Alton's team got pancetta.)

I would have been OK with either of the women leaving, but I was still a little sad to see Josh go. But something just never added up about him. He's wildly creative but I don't think he works well under pressure and time limits. Also he seems more like a poser than a real rocker, too neurotic. But I bet if he worked on focusing his vision, he could end up on TV somewhere.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Justin, Ippy and Eric...these three (one from each team) have become my favorites as of tonight's show. I wonder why they didn't have the same ingredients in the basket for each team - that would make it truly an individual competition, though I admit, boring for the viewer. Then, again, they were competing against their teammates.

I cracked up when Justin explained his tip about blowing off the extra powder sugar with a towel and the judges initially thought that it was smoke.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I like Alton... I really do...

However, I have never seen him so touchy and even angry like he was last night. Yes, he was quite valid in his comments, but man I think he'd cowered the Iron Chefs if he was that ascerbic in his commentary.

That said, he's probably really wanting someone from his team to win and was highly competitive in that area. I can understand that and "tough love" but he needs to be careful it doesn't border ugly.

As far as the basket - I have to admit most of them were inspired. I didn't like the fact though that at least one of them had all sweet foods for dessert - I think at least one item in each should've been like the Pancetta.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

He is not my favorite and I probably would not watch his show, but it would not surprise me at all if they give the crown to Justin simply because he is unique.

You can point to almost all of the others and find a near duplicate of a chef who already has a cooking show. Ippy isn't a clone, but I don't think he has the chops for this gig.

I started off liking Emily, but she's trying too hard to be different.
    Shoepie likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Glad Josh is gone, he was too over the place. Not glad Nikki stayed. She does come across as rehearsed and fake, she's not personable, the "Girl on Grill Action" sounds very double entendre. The not liking desserts and not making them might explain why she bashed on Linkie in the first episode, though that might also be her being a jerk...

Yvan mentioned having competed in Chopped, so I got to try to remember which epsiode it was. I remember him, but need more details. I was glad to see Linkie, Eric and others do well. I also hope Martie can recover, she does seem likeable and her presentation in the elimination challenge was the best and quite charming.

That being said, what was up with Justin? Why did anyone like him? He was so chaotic in the kitchen that I am amazed his dish turned out tasting good, I think it happened due to plain dumb luck. His entire time cooking was obnoxious, all over the place, even infuriating. Other chefs get called out on ingredients not being noticed and in sounding rehearsed. Why was Justin not called out on an obviously rehearsed, creepy "evil scientist in a cartoon" presentation? Why was he not called out on burning what little chocolate he extracted out of the Hershey's Kisses with that stupid method he used and how the chocolate portion of his dessert came from chocolate chips in the pantry and not the Kisses? Not to mention how useless his "tip" was. blowing off excess sugar with a towel? Nobody thinks of the mess that will make in the kitchen? Honestly, I saw nothing funny or amusing about anything he did, and now I want him gone just as much as I want Nikki gone.
    Last edited by Rembrant; 05-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.

IMO anyone who does not like dessert should not be cooking on tv
    libgirl2 and norealityhere like this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    That being said, what was up with Justin? Why did anyone like him? He was so chaotic in the kitchen that I am amazed his dish turned out tasting good, I think it happened due to plain dumb luck. His entire time cooking was obnoxious, all over the place, even infuriating. Other chefs get called out on ingredients not being noticed and in sounding rehearsed. Why was Justin not called out on an obviously rehearsed, creepy "evil scientist in a cartoon" presentation? Why was he not called out on burning what little chocolate he extracted out of the Hershey's Kisses with that stupid method he used and how the chocolate portion of his dessert came from chocolate chips in the pantry and not the Kisses? Not to mention how useless his "tip" was. blowing off excess sugar with a towel? Nobody thinks of the mess that will make in the kitchen? Honestly, I saw nothing funny or amusing about anything he did, and now I want him gone just as much as I want Nikki gone.
    Technically, had Justin been in a real episode of "Chopped" he'd been called out for actually NOT using the ingredient and would've been eliminated. Since I think he's on the same team as Martie, unfortunately her presentation and using too much time talking while cooking and ending up creating a safe dish because of it hurt her more. Justin's was inspired, even if IMHO he'd been essentially DQ'd for not using the actual ingredients given the item was burned.

Never mind that melting chocolate kisses in the foils is not only stupid, it does create a health/safety hazard. While aluminum foil is at least safe-ish (if not flat out safe) to eat in small quantities, there is a chance for sharp bits to still get out through the sieve and create a cutting hazard. I don't know of any cooking places that would allow this.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed, and I felt the judges made a bad judgment.
    maude~flanders likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast