+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 5/20 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

5/20 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Tonight: the chefs race through New York City.

(I bet we barely even noticed them...)

Enjoy the show.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/20 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I think this new format is going to make them get used to the camera faster. And since we vote in the final, we need to see more of them, as well.

Judson. Pickles? That was a horrible draw. I did understand the critique. Alton will shape him up.

I felt badly for Emily who got motion sickness on the bus; they clearly gave her a pass for that. She would have been one of the bottom two otherwise.

Michele, Malcome, Yvan, Martita and Justin are the stand outs for me, so far.

I want a good pastrami sandwich badly, right now. I have to drive 2 hours to get a good one and I just may!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Still not all that impressed with anyone in particular, although I find Emily the easiest to listen to and watch.

We have so many cooking shows now, it's only natural that some of these contestants are going to come off looking/sounding like a clone.

For what it's worth, I wish they'd have sent Judson home. He's way to uptight. Kara was less annoying but her lack of self-confidence did her in.
    Florimel likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I was quite happy to see Giada's team win last night. They really did the best, despite Yvan's lackluster dish and Josh's horrible presentation. He lucked out that the rest of his team did well, or else he'd definitely be in the bottom. I was especially happy to see Linkie redeem herself with a good presentation and dessert. She's my favorite thus far, and I also quite like Martita, Martie, Michelle, Emily, Malcolm and Ippy.

I do think Judson should have gone home, Kara just seemed to do an overall better job, and her potato dish looked absolutely delicious, I wanted one as soon as I saw it.

The judges keep bugging me, though, I never understand what they're looking for. I was annoyed when they called Kara's potato dish unoriginal and not memorable. Well, I personally think that finding an original and unique dish these days is highly difficult, as there have been cooking shows for decades and many people have already done many things.

Honestly, I think they both should have gone home!

Potatoes are one of the great vehicles for limitless creativity and we get a mundane (albeit delicious looking) twice baked potato redux and some odd potato wrapped salmon. Very disappointed in both offerings.

And as much as I love Alton normally, I'm finding him off-putting on this show. He is giving off an almost antagonistic vibe which surprises me. This is the guy who gave me the warm fuzzies on his other shows? - who is this grumpy dude I'm watching? When I prefer Bobby AND GIADA (!!!!!!!) to Alton....something is seriously out of whack! LOL
    Allie likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I used to love Alton on Good Eats and watched it religiously. He had a sense of humor and I enjoyed learning things from him in a fun way. Then a few years ago I watched him as a guest judge/star challenge producer on FNS and was put off by his superior attitude. From that point on I haven't really searched him out on the FN and I don't watch Iron Chef America. I won't miss Food Network Star and I'm hoping he redeems himself to me a bit but I'm still not wild about the guy... which is sad, I paid $$ for a handsigned copy of his first cookbook!

I want Yvan to step up. I like his personality and I think I could watch a show he was featured in, but he needs to prove that he can cook. I'm not feeling any of the girls except Emily, and I think she has a very unique POV that could be fun for the Network if she can pull it out.

Couple of thoughts:
    -this is my FIRST season and I love the format!
    -We cook Giada's recipes all the time and they are freaking "delicious"
    -I've pretty darn sure that I've seen Michelle on a lot of shows...I like her and all but it just seems like she's desperate to be a tv star (wouldn't she have been discovered by now if she was that amazing?). I do remember she did one show with her ex-girlfriend and they seemed like such a good couple..so, there was one potential idea for a show that no producer noticed...
    -I really like that justin guy--he seems clever and interesting. Ippy is probably my overall favorite, he just seems like a good guy and I would love to watch a show that incorporated fusion/island food.
    -Whats up with that yappy southern lady..good grief! Stop making us look like rambling dingbats!
    -I knew they were going to keep Judson when he started all that drama at the table about how he expresses himself or whatnot--I feel like there is more to come and Im sure the producers got the vibe that something big might happen if they kept him around (it almost seems like he may come out on tv or something...?). I imagine the producers can't wait to exploit him (and, maybe he wants the attention..who knows..?). Ultimately, something about him just doesn't seem very genuine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Couple of thoughts:
    -this is my FIRST season and I love the format!
    -We cook Giada's recipes all the time and they are freaking "delicious"
    -I've pretty darn sure that I've seen Michelle on a lot of shows...I like her and all but it just seems like she's desperate to be a tv star (wouldn't she have been discovered by now if she was that amazing?). I do remember she did one show with her ex-girlfriend and they seemed like such a good couple..so, there was one potential idea for a show that no producer noticed...
    -I really like that justin guy--he seems clever and interesting. Ippy is probably my overall favorite, he just seems like a good guy and I would love to watch a show that incorporated fusion/island food.
    -Whats up with that yappy southern lady..good grief! Stop making us look like rambling dingbats!
    -I knew they were going to keep Judson when he started all that drama at the table about how he expresses himself or whatnot--I feel like there is more to come and Im sure the producers got the vibe that something big might happen if they kept him around (it almost seems like he may come out on tv or something...?). I imagine the producers can't wait to exploit him (and, maybe he wants the attention..who knows..?). Ultimately, something about him just doesn't seem very genuine to me.
    I finally saw the show last night on a repeat and I really liked Ippy.
    Florimel likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I like Ippy also but poor guy, his face looks more like a girl's than a guy's. I think there's still hope for Judson....he is a trained robot but that means he can be "trained" again to present himself in a different way. Kara just didn't have enough self confidence to be able to be a Food Network Star.

And in reference to Alton's personality, he's one of those truly brainy super intelligent geniuses....they often do come off as know-it-alls because they really seem to know-it-all. My son was like that....truly a genius in IQ, but often lousy in social situations and came off at times like he was superior. But the thing was: he really was superior to most people in how much he knew. Geniuses are often "quirky" to put it nicely....they can often be strange fellows. And for that reason, I give Alton a pass....he's just different than most of us but he sure knows what he's talking about.
    Florimel likes this.

I agree, Dragonlady. I am a sports fan, but if as a society we admired intellectual achievement at least as much as athletic achievement, we'd be a lot better off.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast